Buying clubs for the wife, which way to go?

We went to the golf shop here and hit on a GC2 for about 1.5 hrs. She tried a lot of different clubs, mens/womens/seniors, and the guy there helped us out a bunch. Helped make her decision alot easier thats for sure.

I went with option C - buy the most forgiving and helpful for her portions of a set, everything used or new but on sale and heavily discounted. We built the bag as things were found instead of trying to put a full bag together immediately to start. Her bag (all clubs with ladies flex):

Cobra Amp Cell
Cobra Baffler 5w
Cleveland Altitudes
TM ATV wedge
TM CB DLL putter
Ogio Wood-E

I got an incredible deal on the irons she wanted; the Cobra Fly-Z XL hybrid/iron set... It was a price i couldn't pass up. I'm hoping we get to golf this weekend, because she's going to wake up tomorrow morning with a big cardboard box wrapped with a bow (the new cart bag doesn't arrive until wednesday).

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I got an incredible deal on the irons she wanted; the Cobra Fly-Z XL hybrid/iron set... It was a price i couldn't pass up. I'm hoping we get to golf this weekend, because she's going to wake up tomorrow morning with a big cardboard box wrapped with a bow (the new cart bag doesn't arrive until wednesday).

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Let us know how it goes.

Got the same set for my wife yesterday. Probably going to be limited to the range this weekend though.

Definitely the used but great shape option was my pic.
My wife is a Fowler fan so she wanted all Cobra so I managed to get her a nicely priced set of ladies S9 off eBay. Then got her matching woods and cut then down an inch to fit her. Even had my old Cleveland classic #3 bent for her and I shortened, torched, and paint filled to match her bag. She loves it for the uniqueness and personal touch.

She loves her bag and the irons feel pretty good. She just purchased her first brand new club on her own and it was delivered yesterday. Cobra baffler hybrid off rock bottom for $49.99. It was like Christmas when that box hit the door. I'm so proud.

Women love to shop (generally). Plus, that gives her no excuse to blame you for defective clubs.

Lessons.

So now that the wife has had her clubs for about 2 weeks, we've had a chance to go out a couple times. I think going with the Fly-Z XL set was a win, because she's doing much better getting the ball up into the air, and has been able to get quite a few up around the greens... Now just to get some putting practice in......

So now that the wife has had her clubs for about 2 weeks, we've had a chance to go out a couple times. I think going with the Fly-Z XL set was a win, because she's doing much better getting the ball up into the air, and has been able to get quite a few up around the greens... Now just to get some putting practice in......
Glad to hear they are working for her.

I picked up a set of Baffler XL for my wife, she loves them!

Don't get me started about the wife's putting, it is like she isn't even looking to see where the hole is.

Don't get me started about the wife's putting, it is like she isn't even looking to see where the hole is.

Yea I hear you. My wife has a "mini Michelle Wie" stance... "Uh hun...you don't have to bend that far over to putt it.."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad she got something she liked!

My wife and I first got into golf 5 years ago. We both went with box sets, because we didn't want to spend a ton of money if we ultimately decided not to stick with it. Good thing, because we played for a year or so, then stopped. We recently got back into it, and plan to stick with it this time. I chose a set of Adams Tight Lies (an impulse buy at Golf Galaxy), but she wanted something pink. She's five feet tall, so they had to be petite. I ended up going with these ( http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Girl-FWS2-PETITE-Hybrid/dp/B000LDXTJA ), and she loves 'em. They're pretty much crap, however. Once we're both playing consistently, we definitely need to upgrade our equipment.

Back