Trackman v Lessons

Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
I have decided to take a few lessons from a local pro. I also recently brought a half price voucher for a local driving range, which has a trackman system installed.

My question is, do I go for the lessons and then go for a Trackman session and see what numbers are throw out?

OR

Do I go for a Trackman session, find out what’s going wrong and relay the info back to my pro, during our lessons?

It may be a silly question, but I would just like to get opinion. I would think that the second process may be more beneficial, but I could be wrong!

I have decided to take a few lessons from a local pro. I also recently brought a half price voucher for a local driving range, which has a trackman system installed.

My question is, do I go for the lessons and then go for a Trackman session and see what numbers are throw out?

OR

Do I go for a Trackman session, find out what’s going wrong and relay the info back to my pro, during our lessons?

It may be a silly question, but I would just like to get opinion. I would think that the second process may be more beneficial, but I could be wrong!

I would go to the pro first. Trackman information is great but if you don't really know how to interpret the numbers, then it's not a useful tool. See what the pro wants you to work on with your game, and ask him what you should see on the Trackman after that.

I would go to the pro first. Trackman information is great but if you don't really know how to interpret the numbers, then it's not a useful tool. See what the pro wants you to work on with your game, and ask him what you should see on the Trackman after that.

I agree completely! Good advice!!!

^^^second this advice. trackman is great in the right hands but let the pro work with you and not worry about trackman #s. The thing is to find a consistent swing.

Pro first, for sure!

My route would depend upon if your pro has access to a launch monitor.

If not, I would probably bring the pro a copy of your range trackman numbers as baseline information. It could/should give him/her more insight into your needs. I'd still trust the pro to assess me with his/her usual methods and trust the pro's recommended plan to my improvement. But my guess is you'll be doing some of that recommended work at the trackman range. If so, your pro might even want you to provide periodic trackman updates to monitor your improvement. He might even provide you with trackman target points to work toward while doing your range work. Let the pro decide if he wants to use the numbers or if he even wants you looking at them as you progress with his/her plan. I don't see a lot of downside with letting the pro make the call.

Even if the pro has and uses a monitor, I'd still let him/her know your range has the trackman, and ask if/how he might want you to use it as you progress through his recommended plan. Realize the pro may not want you to access the range monitor, and that's perfectly OK. Trust the pro.

pretty much everyone else has my same opinion...pro first.

I had my first lesson on Friday with a pro (who was really great) with the Trackman.

It was $85/hr, but I feel like I learned much, much more in my 1 hour doing it this way, than I did with my 3 hours with my Golfdigest ranked instructor.

I don't know that I'd ever try to use a Trackman on my own. Without someone there to interpret the numbers and more importantly, diagnose the actual cause of any issues, you may do more damage than good. Often the reason for a problem in the downswing starts much earlier in the swing.

I used up my voucher for the trackman and the Pro at the range gave me a lesson at the same time. Keeping a new customer sweet!!!!
In fairness he was great. (I mentioned his name to a number of people afterwards and he is highly recommended). He had the system set up to video my swing and the second display showed the data generated. He only had a few minor changes to adjust. He helped me with by typical problem of coming over the ball, which we rectified very quickly and the biggest change was to try and release my hands more with by driver....W.I.P., and seeing good results, so far. The Pro spent over 1.5hrs working with me, so it was well worth the money.

I was intending to go to a local pro, but he was commentating for Sky over in Asia, for the European tour, for a few weeks and I had to use up the voucher before it expired.

if the pro doesnt have a launch monitor, I'd try to bring the pro to the trackman

Back