Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

The recent comments have me really excited about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are LZ shafts, but they are not handcrafted. That does not mean the specs have changed however.

I'm confused. When I go to configure this club on Callaway's website, it says that it is indeed handcrafted? Typo?

Fy2oquC.png

I think that is because the description is the same, but in my opinion they need to change that.

Does the XR have the same adapter as the 815?

I have been reading up on this one quite a bit. Looking forward to getting it in hand and seeing if it can unseat Bertha

So you DO have it already. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts between the two!

I really like the colors of the XR. Think they really pop

Still SO glad they fixed the damn adapter tips.

So you DO have it already. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts between the two!

Im going to let Mward provide the feedback from tomorrow's round and we will also be getting this to one of our staff writers for review.

Yep, it's a typo.

Well this weekend was a bust due to this sickness, but I'm hoping to get to get out and demo this thing next weekend. Are folks finding all the stores with demos? Really excited to give it a go. I've read really good things in a few different places! :)

Too funny!

Im going to let Mward provide the feedback from tomorrow's round and we will also be getting this to one of our staff writers for review.

Sooooooooo Wardy my brother, how'd it go?

Sound was a little higher pitched than expected from a Callaway driver. Not quite the pitch of the 915 D3, but definitely higher than the 815 Alpha line.

Distance seemed to be long as I saw it get poked out there several times. The stock shaft seems to pair well with this head.

I thought it was very high pitched. Bullets off the tee but that noise....
Sound was a little higher pitched than expected from a Callaway driver. Not quite the pitch of the 915 D3, but definitely higher than the 815 Alpha line.

Distance seemed to be long as I saw it get poked out there several times. The stock shaft seems to pair well with this head.

I thought it was very high pitched. Bullets off the tee but that noise....

Yeah the first few swipes were a little surprising. I mean it's not God awful but it's much more like the X hot sound than the composite like sound. It goes though!

Thanks buddy!

I thought the 2Hot sounded pretty different from the original and closer to what you are describing. Was it like that?

Either way, based on past experience it's probably a must-hit for me.

I thought the 2Hot sounded pretty different from the original and closer to what you are describing. Was it like that?

Either way, based on past experience it's probably a must-hit for me.

That might be a better comparison actually, yes.

Definitely more metallic sounding than the previous line and higher pitched across the board. A couple of times we commented how loud it was. Its not loud like old metallic drivers, but when you are alternating between the 815 Alpha and this, the difference is night and day.

The driver launches like a rocket for me and my longest drive of the day was with it. It has the same shaft I play in my 815 Alpha, so it was no issue getting used to it. All in all, a good first test despite being very windy. This weekend I will have it out on the range with the monitor.

And we will get this in the hands of a staff writer this week as well (have multiple).

Thanks guys. Based on the feedback I've heard about the 815, I can imagine that you'd notice that type of sound even more than normal coming directly from it.

How's the shaft feel in comparison to the HC version? Is it basically the same thing?

Thanks guys. Based on the feedback I've heard about the 815, I can imagine that you'd notice that type of sound even more than normal coming directly from it.

How's the shaft feel in comparison to the HC version? Is it basically the same thing?

JB commented that the tip is a little softer, which helps him launch the ball in the air a little bit more than the HC version

Back