Question regarding a belly putter...

bigdaddy

Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing with a guy this weekend who has a belly putter that he has been using (43") and he asked me if I thought it could be cut down to a standard length (34"). I was stumped and didn't see why it couldn't be done. Just not sure if the shaft is different, etc. Does anyone know if it will ruin his putter if he cuts it down...?

Was playing with a guy this weekend who has a belly putter that he has been using (43") and he asked me if I thought it could be cut down to a standard length (34"). I was stumped and didn't see why it couldn't be done. Just not sure if the shaft is different, etc. Does anyone know if it will ruin his putter if he cuts it down...?

Most are made with heavier heads to counter balance the longer shaft and bigger grip. I don't see an issue with cutting it down or reshafting it. Might just have to use a heavier grip or a counter balance weight in the butt end, in the shaft or under the grip.

Most are made with heavier heads to counter balance the longer shaft and bigger grip. I don't see an issue with cutting it down or reshafting it. Might just have to use a heavier grip or a counter balance weight in the butt end, in the shaft or under the grip.

Yep, I've had success cutting them down and then using a CB grip. I also like to keep it 2" longer than standard to give a bit more counter feel to it. If cutting to 35" with a standard grip it'll likely feel very head heavy.

I had a belly putter that I never could use. Johnny Mojo cut it down and put a counterbalance grip on. I have never putted as well as I am now. Even when I see Johnny he asks if I still like it. He says he wants it if I ever lay it down!!!

Yep, I've had success cutting them down and then using a CB grip. I also like to keep it 2" longer than standard to give a bit more counter feel to it. If cutting to 35" with a standard grip it'll likely feel very head heavy.

Was that your MC Betti?

Moved to Flatstick section.

You sure can..I cut down a full broomstick it turned into my best putter...So good I bought 2......My other 30 putters have been collecting dust for years

Like others have said, the head is probably extremely heavy so unless you like that feel you will need to counter balance it.

Back