Choosing the appropriate Tees

Ladies tees only for me. Not really. But sometimes I probably should play from there. I'd at least make it to the ladies tees then. (I'm bad sometimes) Generally, I play middle tees. It's plenty long for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Lenght and slope rating are my first, then par three distances. I like them from 130 to 160 or so, and want at least two of them in that range. None over 200 is preferred!

Distance and I also look at the par 3's ... do not like the 190-200ish range

I look at the overall distance then I look at the par 4 lengths. if a par 4 starts getting close to 400 yards I like to see how many are like that and if its 4 or more I move up a tee box.

With my brother, usually its from the black (tips), when I play just with my dad, I play from the blue (next one up), my dad plays the white (next one up from the blue), but he's only about 150 - 200 off the tee max with his driver. I tried getting him to play from the ladies red box, but he won't do it.

I look at distance, usually on the par 3's and overall.

Distance than slope. I usually decide which tees my group plays from. Only one of my "regular" guys wants to play shorter than 6200 yds but he hits it as far as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just distance and 6400 is a good distance for me.

My litmus test is par 3s exceeding 200 yards. One or more of these and I'm teeing it forward.

Pick a comfortable distance to play the longest par 3 and use those tees.

distance, 6400-6700 yards is a course I can compete and feel comfortable playing

I try to play the tees that have the closest bogey rating to 90.0. Depending on the difficulty of course, this could mean anywhere from a 5600 yard course to a 6300 yard course. My handicap plays accurate the closer I can get to 90.0 bogey rating

Choosing the appropriate Tees

OK so it looks like a lot of people choose distance first in regards to tee's but I'm curious as to know what exactly is it about the distance that makes you choose that specific Tee box.

Is it your driver distance?
Is it the estimated distance of your approach shots?

Or is it something else?

Now that I am hitting a driver only 200 yards total, I am looking for something less than 6000 yards, senior tees for this 67 Y/O. Those that say distance is overated don't know the life of a truly short knocker.

OK so it looks like a lot of people choose distance first in regards to tee's but I'm curious as to know what exactly is it about the distance that makes you choose that specific Tee box.

Is it your driver distance?
Is it the estimated distance of your approach shots?

Or is it something else?

I simply know from experience what works for me. I don't have to do any calculations for driver or 5 iron distances. I know my comfort zone, and I know when a tee set exceeds it. On new courses that I haven't played before I'll err on the side of caution if I'm in between. This process has yet to fail to deliver an enjoyable round while learning some of the risks that the new course throws at me.

Unlike many modern players, I have no problem with playing less than driver from any tee. If it seems appropriate, I'll leave the driver in the bag for the entire round and still be able to say that I had a good time. Maybe that comes from playing for many years on a course which had many holes where driver was not the best choice, even though the course played to 6400 yards from the middle tees (I typically only hit driver on 3 of the 7 long holes on the front 9). I don't automatically pick the driver until I know where I'm going, and the shorter the course the more I'll mix it up.

I only play 6400 or under...I'm getting older and don't hit big drives...

There are a couple courses that play to around 5800 some might say that's for whoever but you had better bring your accuracy because the fairways are like a bowling alleys .....One of the par 4's I don't think the fairway is more 30 yards wide at 260..All fairways are heavily treed many you can't even get into the trees so you have to play another ball..People that shoot in the low 80's will be in the low 90's+...It's a great course..

I don't mind playing up to 6800 yards. My home course I play from 6500 (blues) and that's my comfort zone. For new courses I usually look at distance and par 4's. I think you have to consider the distance you feel comfortable with on your approach shots especially if you have an accurate driving distance. I'm not for having more than 1 or 2 holes where my second shot requires a shot from 170+.

I find myself personally playing yardages between 6500-6800 yards. Regardless of rating. Most courses down here at that length, ratings exceed 130.

But I always wonder if I should move up a tee box based off of handicap. I mean I can play a 6200 yard course and shoot 90+ or play a 6500course and go below that. Maybe course difficulty is an oversight on my part

Right now I mainly play from the whites.

I start at total distance and then look at the holes themselves. A par 70 playing at 6,100 yards from the blue tees might have a par 3 or two over 200 yards-ish.

Back