Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

Just an FYI, for the king these have to be setup completely stock, including grip style, and grip size. At least that is my understanding.

Actually that is not what I said. I said nothing about the King in the response about grip. Like all forum testing, THP requests the club stays as is for now, since the review is about the club received.

Play the driver as is please.
No different than forum testing.
The job and the reason participants got the driver this early was to review it for THPers.

Actually that is not what I said. I said nothing about the King in the response about grip. Like all forum testing, THP requests the club stays as is for now, since the review is about the club received.

Thanks for the clarification as I was clearly misunderstanding the requirements.

Hit the demo with the stock stiff shaft at the range today. Decided to turn the 9* down to 8* for fun. I still had a fairly nice trajectory on the ball, but for me I think the 9* will be optimal. Have no problem hitting a draw. Most shots were turning 5-10 yards right to left which is something I'll take all day long. I continue to strike the ball a little high and inside on the clubface.... And still the flight is good. Sound is still noticeable to me, but once I get mine and get to play with it more I'm sure that will fade away as I'll get used to it. I've gotta wrap my head around the adjustments as well. I seem to have a little trouble comprehending the different options when I try to change them up. ? As I said before, I don't know if it's the longest club out there, but considering how much more of the face it seems you can hit without being punished too much.... I think folks may want to give this a whirl.

Has anyone compared the stock Project X LZ shaft to the Aldila Rogue 60?

Has anyone compared the stock Project X LZ shaft to the Aldila Rogue 60?
I did at golf galaxy. At that point I was struggling with the LZ and crushing the rogue, though my attitude on the LZ has changed quite a bit since then. Spin numbers from both were similar from what I saw.

This was absolutely loved at the THP Live Driver Testing today. Watching guys absolutely pound it on the range.

This was absolutely loved at the THP Live Driver Testing today. Watching guys absolutely pound it on the range.
And bone stock too, craaaazy. :alien:

And bone stock too, craaaazy. :alien:

I watched Wake absolutely MURDER the ball on the range with this one. I mean like 15 yards passed where I carry it. Launch numbers were darn near perfect.

I watched Wake absolutely MURDER the ball on the range with this one. I mean like 15 yards passed where I carry it. Launch numbers were darn near perfect.
Were you seeing people launch the ball higher than normal given the selected loft? I personally couldn't get over how night it launched and just stayed in the air forever.

Were you seeing people launch the ball higher than normal given the selected loft? I personally couldn't get over how night it launched and just stayed in the air forever.

Not really, no. Maybe a degree or two. I think I went from 14* to 16* with it. Wake went from 11.7 to somewhere just south of 14* with it. So about 2 degrees and he absolutely pummelled it.

I figured it would be popular there haven't been too many that haven't liked it yet. Definitely on my must try list

I figured it would be popular there haven't been too many that haven't liked it yet. Definitely on my must try list

You are going to really like this one.

You are going to really like this one.
Gun to your head, would you say this is closer to the XHot, X2Hot, or BB?

Gun to your head, would you say this is closer to the XHot, X2Hot, or BB?

Probably XHot with a little Bertha mixed in.
To me its a different animal, but if I had to choose, I would say that combo.

This was one of the drivers I played with today, while I liked it a lot I wasn't like I need to go out and sell my driver for it. Forgiveness was great cause I was getting good distance for me and never really hit the ball flush.

It's funny you say that because all the stuff I read about it, gave me kind of the same impression. I went with 12 degree, the first time I have ever gamed anything above 10.5. I really think it's going to be a game changer for me. Can't wait for this snow to go away so I can get it on course.

It's funny you say that because all the stuff I read about it, gave me kind of the same impression. I went with 12 degree, the first time I have ever gamed anything above 10.5. I really think it's going to be a game changer for me. Can't wait for this snow to go away so I can get it on course.

Dev. I messed around with a 12 degree at GG yesterday. It gave me some reaLly good carry numbers. Like you I've never had one of.my own higher than. 10.5.

I can't wait until April 1 when I hit up a all OEM demo day here and get to compare it to some of the other new offerings.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I didn't even think about this driver before today, but was probably most impressed with it. Looks great, good shaft, solid feel and sound, performs well. Not sure it would knock my g30 out but it's worth a look.

I like that. The weight and profile of XHot.. the contact profile of Bertha.. And it's like they turned the key and unlocked the sound Bertha COULD have.

I got to hit this a couple of times today in my round. Had a couple of wicked slices and a couple of pretty good shots. I had it setup in the -1 D configuration today. I was also gripping down on it for the first time.

Man I'm stoked to give this driver a go after some many positive reviews today.

Bay Hill
Both Stenson and Kokrak have this one in play.

Bay Hill
Both Stenson and Kokrak have this one in play.
I love it.

Makes me more anxious to hit it to be honest.

So I can imagine my ball got g that far! LOL

I will have more to say on this one later, but I will say it's not the longest driver I have put into play but it's the straightest and the LZ is smoother then silk.

Back