Harris English Driver Shaft?

ORUTRAVIS

Retired Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Harris drove the ball great all week, hitting 75% of fairways and averaging 307 yards per drive during the final round. He did all of this with his Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver (10.5*), a model that he first put in at the PGA Championship last month.
His gamer driver has a Grafallay Pro Lite Tour X Shaft that’s cut to 44 7/8″ and is tipped to 1/2″. It’s set to the Neutral directional bias and +1 Loft adjustability, with the Gravity Core in the Up position in the toe.

This shaft is easily ten plus years old and it is hard to believe there isn't a better shaft for him. What are your thoughts? I also believe Stenson is using a Graffaloy Blue?

Just because a shaft is old doesn't mean it cannot perform. If it ain't broke don't fix it you know?

the prime example of playing what works. Same reason why DG S300 is so remarkable.

Also, I find it HILARIOUS that it's 44 and 7/8 inches. Someone tell me how much you'd notice a difference between 44 and 7/8s vs 44 and 3/4 hahaha

Since the shaft is more about feel than anything else, its something that has worked very well for him.

I find it very interesting though with True Temper and Grafalloy being the same company that he doesn't have at custom Project X handcrafted for him to his exact specifications. Henrik and Harris are in no ways hurting for distance so they are probably more interested in consistency to what they know. It just boggles me how some guys are changing shaft, head, grips all the time and other guys just stick with whatever that had when they made it.

I find it very interesting though with True Temper and Grafalloy being the same company that he doesn't have at custom Project X handcrafted for him to his exact specifications. Henrik and Harris are in no ways hurting for distance so they are probably more interested in consistency to what they know. It just boggles me how some guys are changing shaft, head, grips all the time and other guys just stick with whatever that had when they made it.

Its not a specs thing though. Its a feel thing. I know people get hung up on these huge number swings from shafts, but at a certain level, its about feel.

Its not a specs thing though. Its a feel thing. I know people get hung up on these huge number swings from shafts, but at a certain level, its about feel.

Bubba has been playing the same BiMatrix shaft for a while, correct? He just puts in into which ever head he likes at the moment. Or am I wrong on that?

It is funny, but I asked Dnevs about the difference between fitting pros and amateurs when we were at the Gauntlet. It was not early Friday night and I am paraphrasing, but he said that expectations are completely different. Most Ams are looking for the holy grail of distance, in every club they hit.

Most pros on the other hand, are more concerned about look/sound/feel/consistency as they can generate the distance themselves. He said that some fitters have a rule when working with pros that they don't want them to hit more than a few shots with a certain set up because they will start compensating for the smallest things. They are that freaking good.

It is the amazing thing about this game, but while we all look for the perfect club/shaft combo, confidence is probably the most important thing to have when stepping up to hit a shot. That is probably the reason Harris is playing the same shaft so many years later, he believes it works for him, so it does.

Back