Do we still need QUIET!!!?

I am not questioning respect and/or etiquette, but rather asking if people think the sport needs to evolve. Before everyone jumps on the "tradition" bandwagon, let me ask another question.

Are you still teeing your featherie ball on a mound of sand and hitting it with a wooden driver? Do your clubs have wooden shafts and a wrapped leather grip?

I think as you continue to play the game and get better you will answer your own question for yourself.

For me, I play for quiet and comraderie, I play to listen to the birds, the wind, to think in a zone that most will never know and mostly for me it's the music of a purely struck shot. I could never imagine someone that plays for crazy amounts of money wanting cheering and yelling as a constant noise while putting for a million bucks and I sure as hell won't be out there if they are lol.

The game we love is evolving faster than it ever has and is still slow to evolve but there's a certain amount tradition in the game and a good part of that is the behavior associated with being a gentleman. Dress has changed equipment has changed, courses have changed, let's not drag it in to the drunken stupor of other sports with immature screaming and shouting. Let's support it for what it is a great game played in some of the most beautiful and peaceful environments left.

Last edited:
I don't want golf to get drawn into the 21st century where being stupid/loud/boorish/drunk at a sporting event is the norm. As I said in a post somewhere else, if I want that, I'll go to a football game.

Personally, I'd like to see everyone that yells any stupid thing they can at the tee box ushered from the course.

What happened to having a little class?

I agree 100%. A lot of stupid crap is yelled that doesn't makes sense and only funny to the drunk idiot and his drunk buddies.

I think the OP is more annoyed about the rude ego driven paddle wavers than the noise issue.

I get lost sometimes on the constant "golf needs to evolve" statements.

There are so many casual golf options available to players and spectators.

1 - want to dress however the hell you want? Go to a muni or exec.... Or mini putt.. or range.. top golf.. etc
2 - want to shout like an idiot and talk during golf? Sit inside one of the grandstands OR at a bar with your buddies drinking every last drop of whatever you want.

Golf doesn't need to evolve to be successful. Technology might, but golf itself does not. We already cater WAY too much to 'casual' golfers.

1 - want to dress however the hell you want? Go to a muni or exec.... Or mini putt.. or range.. top golf.. etc
2 - want to shout like an idiot and talk during golf? Sit inside one of the grandstands OR at a bar with your buddies drinking every last drop of whatever you want.

Golf doesn't need to evolve to be successful. Technology might, but golf itself does not. We already cater WAY too much to 'casual' golfers.
Do you think golf has suffered lately because it strayed too far from its traditions?

Do you think golf has suffered lately because it strayed too far from its traditions?

No, because there are still opportunities (albeit typically more expensive ones) to maintain the tradition. That and being selective about who golfers surround themselves with.

That said, I fear that similar to most things, the sport is going to try to adapt to make golf as easy and as fast as humanly possible. I'm just glad the ridiculously massive hole trend died about as quickly as TaylorMade's last product line did. #RIPjetSpeed

While I agree we do need to cater to the casual golfer a little bit, I only want them to be casual till they transform into someone that loves and more importantly RESPECTS the sport for what it is.

Im sorry but no matter how many times the head of Taylormade says the sport is dying it's not and will be around long after we're all gone and our grand kids are having these same arguments.

Is it me, or does anyone else feel that professional level golf needs to move in to the modern era

I certainly hope not. I hope it goes backwards about 50 years my self. The modern mindset doesn't do anything for me.

Actually, people shouldn't have to be told to be quiet. They should have enough respect to be quiet on their own. But that's the modern age for you. :(

While I agree we do need to cater to the casual golfer a little bit, I only want them to be casual till they transform into someone that loves and more importantly RESPECTS the sport for what it is.

Im sorry but no matter how many times the head of Taylormade says the sport is dying it's not and will be around long after we're all gone and our grand kids are having these same arguments.

I imagine you're right, however it welcomes conversations that golf needs to 'adapt' to stay relevant in the world today. It sounds absolutely ridiculous to me.

What does tradition have to do with being quiet while someone is swinging?

I doubt golf is losing fans because they are asked to be quiet for 5-10 seconds at a time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What does tradition have to do with being quiet while someone is swinging?

I doubt golf is losing fans because they are asked to be quiet for 5-10 seconds at a time.

I believe the 'tradition' is that fans has always been (relatively) quiet prior to contact with the ball.

And I think you're right about the second part.

I believe the 'tradition' is that fans has always been (relatively) quiet prior to contact with the ball.

And I think you're right about the second part.

Fair enough.

Just seems like respect to me. I wouldn't want someone coming to my job and yelling while I'm trying to concentrate.

Fair enough.

Just seems like respect to me. I wouldn't want someone coming to my job and yelling while I'm trying to concentrate.

We all seem to arrive at respect differently nowadays. There was a time when respect meant opening the door for other patrons when you're arriving somewhere.

People look astonished when I do that for them in 2015.

We all seem to arrive at respect differently nowadays. There was a time when respect meant opening the door for other patrons when you're arriving somewhere.

People look astonished when I do that for them in 2015.

If I had a nickel every time I received an awkward look for it.

Maybe we need to let people talk at PGA events all of the time. I wonder what the outcome would be if the players were pooled about this?

If I had a nickel every time I received an awkward look for it.

Maybe we need to let people talk at PGA events all of the time. I wonder what the outcome would be if the players were pooled about this?

My guess is that they would not be for it. Even with a constant stream of conversation (or I suppose 'buzz' is a great way of wording it) you're still going to hear the idiot going "POTATOES!!!" right at the top of the backswing.

The noise itself doesn't bother them. Case in point, look at something like the 16th at the Waste Management Open. It's the abruptness of the noise. Much like if you're driving with the radio on, it becomes white noise. If I slam on my horn behind you, you're going to jump. Same concept when playing golf, except that little startle may have just caused them a lot of money or a chance to keep their tour card.

Well said!

I am not questioning respect and/or etiquette, but rather asking if people think the sport needs to evolve. Before everyone jumps on the "tradition" bandwagon, let me ask another question.

Are you still teeing your featherie ball on a mound of sand and hitting it with a wooden driver? Do your clubs have wooden shafts and a wrapped leather grip?

Lol, maybe mini golf would suit you better? Kidding of course. But because we use better gear, that has nothing to do with etiquette. Enjoy the game the way it was meant to Be played. Suit the game, it shouldn't have to be suited to you.

I think fans should respect the wish of the player hitting. If someone wants quiet, so be it. If others, like Bubba at the last Ryder Cup, want noise, crank it up....

...Do you think golf should stay the quiet noise free event it is, or should it evolve in to a noisy fan friendly environment?

Lol, maybe mini golf would suit you better? Kidding of course. But because we use better gear, that has nothing to do with etiquette. Enjoy the game the way it was meant to Be played. Suit the game, it shouldn't have to be suited to you.

While I understand your point in relation to this topic I don't necessarily disagree, that is a pretty complicated statement to be made in general for other golf related topics and a couple which has been at the front line of golf conversation for some time. One is rules bifurcation. The whole logic for those who would advocate for bifurcation is based very much on making things so golf better suits the average masses of hackers instead of them having to suit to the game. Even without bifurcation of rules, things like the many suggestions people make for softening up courses in terms of forgiveness (in many different ways) for sake of making the game more enjoyable for the average masses and for sake of pace are also all about golf better suiting itself towards the person and not the other way around. Much of this is all about the game suiting to the people and not the opposite.

Last edited:
While I understand your point in relation to this topic I don't necessarily disagree, that is a pretty complicated statement to be made in general for other golf related topics and a couple which has been at the front line of golf conversation for some time. One is rules bifurcation. The whole logic for those who would advocate for bifurcation is based very much on making things so golf better suits the average masses of hackers instead of them having to suit to the game. Even without bifurcation of rules, things like the many suggestions people make for softening up courses in terms of forgiveness 9in many different ways) for sake of making the game more enjoyable for the average masses and for sake of pace are also all about golf better suiting itself towards the person and not the other way around.

Bifuracation has nothing to do with making golf more enjoyable for the masses it's to make it easier on the minority, the tour pros. The average golfer in America as I'm sure the average golfer in Europe could care less what the others rules are since we're not playing there. They could try to sell that however they want but the regular weekend warrior out there playing isn't gonna change a thing over that if it ever happens.

Bifuracation has nothing to do with making golf more enjoyable for the masses it's to make it easier on the minority, the tour pros. The average golfer in America as I'm sure the average golfer in Europe could care less what the others rules are since we're not playing there. They could try to sell that however they want but the regular weekend warrior out there playing isn't gonna change a thing over that if it ever happens.

Im a bit confused when you say bifurcation is about making it easier for tour pros and also say it has nothing to with enjoyment. . Or perhaps I am misreading your post.
Fwiw I'm not (here) advocating or not for bifurcation being good, bad, or indifferent. Was just a statement that when folks are in favor of it, its done with the intent of making golf easier for the general masses and the huge numbers of amateurs who play competitive golf. Bifurcation of some rules and equipment conformity (from what I've always read) is very much about making the game more enjoyable because part of the entire logic of it is that if golf is a little easier, it will be more enjoyable. I always thought that was one of the very reasons for one being in favor of bifurcation - it will be more enjoyable and therefor would then also result in more people playing the game too. . So i'm not really understanding your post.

Back