2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to get into yoga, but it just bores me to tears. Props to anyone who can stay with it, I wish I knew what you did to stay focused.

I am glad you mentioned this. When I saw your video I was going to ask who the WWE dude in the background was.
Fantastic. I'm in the gym working rehab deads. 95x25, 105x25, 115x25. In the gym is a guy who just won the Badger State Strongman competition.

We have a brewery in Charlotte that has free yoga on Tuesday evening.They get a huge turnout. Local instructors and a ton of guys who come because a lot of in shape women come.It is called Yoga on Tap.
Yoga starts Monday, and I'm excited.

Yoga doesn't match my goals really. I'm sure it would help flexibility. But there's only so much time in the day. I will focus on strength and golf.

But MASSIVE kudos for you guys who are taking it up

I find yoga helps so much with freedom of movement in hips. I have two knee replacements and some leg oriented lifts just do not work for me anymore.
Yoga doesn't match my goals really. I'm sure it would help flexibility. But there's only so much time in the day. I will focus on strength and golf.

I find yoga helps so much with freedom of movement in hips. I have two knee replacements and some leg oriented lifts just do not work for me anymore.
I agree that it will help with mobility. but that still doesn't make Yoga a strength building endeavour.

Remember, there are different types/forms of strength. I'm at the age where I want long, lean, muscles with max flexibility rather than the short, compact, broader muscles I used to work out for.

I suspect you know more about this than I ever will.My orthopedic guy told me to not do squats after my knee replacements. Still,I know people who have transformed themselves with yoga in terms of lean-ness and what looks to be strength.I do not do it often but I am amazed by the results.
I agree that it will help with mobility. but that still doesn't make Yoga a strength building endeavour.

Remember, there are different types/forms of strength. I'm at the age where I want long, lean, muscles with max flexibility rather than the short, compact, broader muscles I used to work out for.
I'm not going to really debate this, since it's just pissing in the wind. But I don't necessarily agree.

I'm not going to really debate this, since it's just pissing in the wind. But I don't necessarily agree.

Hahaha, ooooooooook then.

There is strength beyond olympic lifts, that is a fact.

There are many forms of yoga and many of which build muscle and solid core strength. I did a power yoga class with my step mother and I have never sweat so much during an indoor workout. I was sore for 3 days.

I suspect you know more about this than I ever will.My orthopedic guy told me to not do squats after my knee replacements. Still,I know people who have transformed themselves with yoga in terms of lean-ness and what looks to be strength.I do not do it often but I am amazed by the results.
I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, but not all squats are created equal. A squat to proper depth doesn't really endanger the knee.

Anyone know a good site to get a meal plan setup for losing weight? I have lost a little but need a meal plan, because I find myself snacking and eating late. I need a plan to stick to.

Hahaha, ooooooooook then.

There is strength beyond olympic lifts, that is a fact.
I agree. I don't believe Olympic lifts are great strength builders. They are great for rapid force generation. But I do believe loaded movement over the maximum effective range of motion using the most muscle mass efficiently is different than isolated training. Biceps curls are not the same as chin ups. Half squats are not the same as squats to proper depth.

Yes, isometeric strength is important. But being able to hold a weight (in this case your body) in isometric contraction for progressively longer period of time will not make it any easier to lift heavy objects.

Especially, since most are also changing their diets to lose weight, the mass that is being held in isometric contraction is getting smaller.

There are many forms of yoga and many of which build muscle and solid core strength. I did a power yoga class with my step mother and I have never sweat so much during an indoor workout. I was sore for 3 days.
That is not the same thing as strength.

Anyone know a good site to get a meal plan setup for losing weight? I have lost a little but need a meal plan, because I find myself snacking and eating late. I need a plan to stick to.
"If it fits your macros" is actually really good, but people use it as an excuse To eat pop tarts

Also, look into Jason Ferruggia's Renegade Diet

It is all about what you want.

Longer and leaner muscles are more in line with my goals for golf, I don't want bulk, bulk does zero good for me. I've been there, and I have done that, for many many years.

That is not the same thing as strength.

I think being able to a handstand and shoulder press yourself requires strength; no? I understand your point though. You will bulk up and develop more muscle mass (Strength) with power lifting, will that help your golf game, thats an individual thing.

It is all about what you want.

Longer and leaner muscles are more in line with my goals for golf, I don't want bulk, bulk does zero good for me. I've been there, and I have done that, for many many years.

Does the range of motion for a squat get shorter as you get stronger? What about a standing overhead press, do your arms get shorter the more you press? the answer is, no.

I think being able to a handstand and shoulder press yourself requires strength; no? I understand your point though. You will bulk up and develop more muscle mass (Strength) with power lifting, will that help your golf game, thats an individual thing.

Yes. A handstand press requires strength. But you can progressively load a handstand press. You cannot progressively load downward facing dog.

On the otherside, the golf swing is a dynamic movement. Why would you "strength train" for a dynamic movement using isometeric holds?

We need to turn this from the fitness and weight loss thread to the heavy lifting thread then I suppose.

I'll take my yoga and go elsewhere :alien:

We need to turn this from the fitness and weight loss thread to the heavy lifting thread then I suppose.

I'll take my yoga and go elsewhere :alien:
No no no. Weight loss and overall healthy are all a part of fitness. If eating healthy and doing yoga makes you live a longer life, that makes me happy.

My point of contention is that yoga is not strength training. That's all.

Does the range of motion for a squat get shorter as you get stronger? What about a standing overhead press, do your arms get shorter the more you press? the answer is, no.

Yes. A handstand press requires strength. But you can progressively load a handstand press. You cannot progressively load downward facing dog.

On the otherside, the golf swing is a dynamic movement. Why would you "strength train" for a dynamic movement using isometeric holds?

You make a great point about it being a dynamic movement. I think a good balance of exercises is optimal because above all flexibility should pretty high on the list for a sound golf swing. And lets face it at this point as an adult you have pretty much 90 to 95% of the hand speed you are going to have. Most of that dynamic movement in ingrained early on as a child and is very difficult to obtain later. Granted I play Dr. on TV so please take most of this as my opinion only and not fact obviously.

You make a great point about it being a dynamic movement. I think a good balance of exercises is optimal because above all flexibility should pretty high on the list for a sound golf swing. And lets face it at this point as an adult you have pretty much 90 to 95% of the hand speed you are going to have. Most of that dynamic movement in ingrained early on as a child and is very difficult to obtain later. Granted I play Dr. on TV so please take most of this as my opinion only and not fact obviously.

This interests me as I would very much like to add some clubhead speed, but I've had difficulty because quite frankly, I have no clue how to do it. I imagine strength training is helpful, but won't on it's own be much help at all.

We agree. Hand speed matches rapid force developmeny and hand eye coordination. Either you have it or you don't. It can't be trained.

Again, my point is just that yoga is not strength training. At least nor long term strength training.

I also maintain that a strength training program doesn't shorten muscle fibers. It will make them bigger. But not shorten them. That's assuming the trainee is lifting to a complete range of motion and not chasing a pump.

I started to lift weights about 2 years ago and usually do power lifting ie bench squat should presses and so on and I have noticed little to no gain in club head speed. The main benefit I saw was stamina. I no longer felt like I had tired arms by the middle to end of the round. I could go full bore from start to finish of a round and that in itself helped me tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back