Bridgestone True Balance Putters - Forum Review

Smart man.

I know they were looking for a 'catch' to get people to try these with the shaft and grip, but IMO the heads are damn did and would have best been served just as steel offerings.

Cace, trust me, go steel.

Terrific putter heads, but the counter counter balance takes some serious acclimation, and going into competition is not the time for that IMO. Same thing I told Freddie at the MC.
Couldn't agree more on the learning curve for the graphite and foam. For the MC I picked one up early and took several rounds before it felt normal.

Cace, trust me, go steel.

Terrific putter heads, but the counter counter balance takes some serious acclimation, and going into competition is not the time for that IMO. Same thing I told Freddie at the MC.
It's interesting dude. I went steel for the Morgan Cup and regretted it a lot because of weight of everything. Frankly I was a better putter with the graphite shaft and Uber grip than I was with the steel shaft and normal size grip.

If I could do it over again I would have gone graphite with the smaller foam grip. No doubt in my mind that I would have dropped at least two strokes or more a round by doing that.

It's interesting dude. I went steel for the Morgan Cup and regretted it a lot because of weight of everything. Frankly I was a better putter with the graphite shaft and Uber grip than I was with the steel shaft and normal size grip.

If I could do it over again I would have gone graphite with the smaller foam grip. No doubt in my mind that I would have dropped at least two strokes or more a round by doing that.

This is interesting. I did the balance point test on my current putter and it's about 6 inches from the head, so very similar to the true balance it seems. I think I'm going with the graphite and the big pool noodle grip as I'm playing a SS right now.

This is interesting. I did the balance point test on my current putter and it's about 6 inches from the head, so very similar to the true balance it seems. I think I'm going with the graphite and the big pool noodle grip as I'm playing a SS right now.

The balance point with the graphite and foam grip are literally on the hosel when talking the PN model, FWIW.

Its interesting for sure, I weighed out my head when I changed it and it was a pretty standard putter weight, nothing out of the ordinary for what I have seen.

I love the "insert" on the putter.

The balance point with the graphite and foam grip are literally on the hosel when talking the PN model, FWIW.

Hmm, thought I read 5 inches. That's even more
Extreme. I think for me the comfort of the big grip is just as important as the balance in terms of what i would have to adjust to. I'm kind of excited to try it regardless.

I will warn you, the foam grip is a pistol grip instead of round like a superstroke. For me, while the size wasn't an issue, the new shape did take some getting used to.

Not the best, but it gets the visual of the balance point:
true-balance-putter-feherty.png

Couldn't find my pic, so I borrowed this:
2014-06-05-11.10.08.jpg

Thanks James. That's less than mine for sure.

This is my current hangup I have one with the big foam grip and I putt well inside 10ft but have no feel with it if I am any distance out. Can't decide which way to go. Really the only hang up in my bag right now.

This is my current hangup I have one with the big foam grip and I putt well inside 10ft but have no feel with it if I am any distance out. Can't decide which way to go. Really the only hang up in my bag right now.

I've got no problem urging everyone to go steel. IMO, its a THOUSAND times more comfortable for people right out of the gates.

I've got no problem urging everyone to go steel. IMO, its a THOUSAND times more comfortable for people right out of the gates.
Do you think the graphite has any pros to it if you can spend time with it? I have one from last years invitationals that I have used the last few times out so I am just curious if you ever got used to the graphite

Do you think the graphite has any pros to it if you can spend time with it? I have one from last years invitationals that I have used the last few times out so I am just curious if you ever got used to the graphite

Distance on long putts was a continual issue for me, it got better with time, but IMO if you are going with the graphite you need to do it, you need to stay with it, and you need to fully acclimate to it. I just don't think, personally, that it can be done heading into an event as easily​ with this concept as it can other clubs.

Well I think I made my choice after today's round. Going with steel. Even if I did adjust to it by the time that happened I think my confidence would be so shot I wouldnt feel comfortable over the ball. That said it is one awesome putter head.

I know it will take practice but I'm going with the true balance putter with the graphite shaft. It is a different feeling in hand but nothing that has me concerned I can't putt well with it come July.

Distance on long putts was a continual issue for me, it got better with time, but IMO if you are going with the graphite you need to do it, you need to stay with it, and you need to fully acclimate to it. I just don't think, personally, that it can be done heading into an event as easily​ with this concept as it can other clubs.

I agree with this. I would say that it works the other way too. Once you dial in something like this, it's hard to switch back to a steel shafted putter.

I "grew up" on a custom built putter that had a graphite shaft paired with a face balanced, Anser styled, Slotline head. Talk about a one off. There's probably no other putter on the planet exactly like it.

I quit playing golf for 10 years. When I started back it just didn't look right visually to my eye. I spent the better part of 3(?) years messing around with different putters, but always struggled with distance control. I tried light ones, heavy ones, counter balanced ones, ones with inserts, ones without, different lengths, center shafted versus plumber's neck, etc., but just wasn't good at lag putting.

On a bit of a whim, I picked up one of the Anser styled Bridgestones. I'd been interested in the Bridgestone because of the graphite shaft and because of an end to end design with a graphite shaft in mind. I realize that I could have reshafted a regular putter with a graphite shaft, but I suspected that Bridgestone probably did a bit of work and testing to sort out the weight and the feel.

Voila -- my putting speed issues are seemingly gone and my lag putting is back to what it once was. I've been "minus" in my putting stat for every round I've played the Bridgestone.

As others have said, the head looks great and has a fantastic feel/sound. The cover looks good in the bag as well. The only thing that is a little weird is the bright yellow grip, but everything is working, so I'm not about to change it.

These are good putters and well worth a look.

Well in a week I will be gaming the mallet with the true balance graphite. Will definitely let you guys know how the transition goes from steel. Hopefully quickly for my team's sake.

I used to game with a Ping Anser 2i, so I decided to go with the TD03 34" with oversize grip. The graphite shaft makes things feel way different, but I am getting used to it the more I game. Something about the big grip makes me more confident when putting. Decided to get the limited edition Azalea head cover for it too. Azaleas are bad ass and they make cool bonsai too. I like how the magnets make it so much easier to take off than the Velcro on the stock cover. Made my first birdie EVER with this beast on a par 4. Drained a 10 ft.putt to make it. Needless to say, I couldn't help but scream in joy.
166159-0-0-0.jpg

166164-0-0-0.jpg

166165-0-0-0.jpg

I know it will take practice but I'm going with the true balance putter with the graphite shaft. It is a different feeling in hand but nothing that has me concerned I can't putt well with it come July.
I opted for the steel shaft myself. It just seems to radical of a change for me personally.

The more I use the TD-01 the more I like it! The distance control has been incredible and I really like the way the ball feels coming off the insert.

Back