When you're off, how far off are you?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
We have all had those days when we show up and nothing goes right. I mean you have no clue why you took up the game. How far away from your normal is this game? Is it manageable or do you start shot gun in beers?
Talk to me Goose!!

Manageable.....usually contained to double bogies and not going north of 90.

Still frustrating as hell though.

We have all had those days when we show up and nothing goes right. I mean you have no clue why you took up the game. How far away from your normal is this game? Is it manageable or do you start shot gun in beers?
Talk to me Goose!!

I'm only off when you roll up to the tee box:D

Kidding, when I get that off I just finish my round and start over the next time out. If it's bad through a couple of rounds I will go to the range and try to fix it. If all else fails, it's shot time.

If I'm really off, it can get pretty ugly in a hurry, especially with lost golf balls. Most of the time I can keep it under 90, but there have been two occasions this year where I shot a 90 and a 93. I followed both of those rounds up with rounds in the low 70's. It's been a pretty big feast or famine year for me as far as scores go. Compared with last year, I'd much rather have last year's results. I've shot lower rounds this year than I did last year, but last year I was so much more consistent (mid 70's all year and went 5 months without shooting higher than a 79).

I really haven't had a day (since getting back into the game this past year) where everything went wrong. What bothers me the most is hitting shorts fat, those get into my head more than anything else. Last time I played I only had one that was fat, but my short game was terrible (and chipping and pitching has been a strength for me).

2 words. Murphy's law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season seems to be extremes. I will have a birdies and 5+ pars or I have doubles, triples and a quad. Its been mid to low 80s and a bunch of mid 90s.

Yesterday I had this problem. My iron play was pretty much normal, but my tee game, wedges, and putting were awful. I "solved" the tee game by bailing on the Bertha Mini and going with the trusty XR Pro 3w. It was so much better that it has me wondering why I keep trying to find a replacement for something that works so well! Maybe I need to listen to myself.

But the wedges and putting never came around. I probably lost 15 shots easily due to bad greenside play and lip-out/burned edges putting. I just didn't have it. From that point, it came down to focusing on the company I had. Bullfrog and his girlfriend were my guests, so I just focused on having a good time with them. To be honest, if they were not there I would not have gone golfing yesterday. But if I don't have people I am golfing with, I have been known to drop out after 9 holes and go to the practice area to try and work things out. That usually is my go-to move.

I like to shotgun beers anyways so.... but seriously when it goes really bad I can typically keep it under 90 so its not a total trainwreck even though it may feel like one. Unfortunately "Most" days its my putting and short game that keeps me from scoring well.

Talk to me Goose!!

Lately, my off rounds have been better as my short game has improved. Typically in the low 90's lately when this happens, whereas I used to let it balloon a lot higher...think high 90's/low100's.

The true "why the hell did I take this game up" round used to happen once or twice a year, and all bets were off when it came to score. I had one this year, a horrid 106 at Tobiano in BC. Couldn't. Do. ANYTHING. I've made some swing changes in the last 3-4 months though and hoping I've left this kind of round behind.

When I'm off, my game is still manageable. It is usually caused by bad tee shots so I can drop down to a hybrid or 4 iron and keep my round together. The round isn't near as enjoyable this way so Ill typically just keep hitting driver and getting mad unless I'm worried about score.

I can get way off or keep it manageable. All depends on how many facets of the game are off. If its limited to 1 or 2, 80s are still within reach. More than that, I'm in it for the good time as I'll hit the 90s. Typically I can find my way around the course playing better than bogey golf no matter what, but I have occasionally given zero effs and just had a great time.

Varies. I can lose it for a shot or lose the plot completely. Consistency is not a strength.

The truly bad days, it goes right down the crapper. Nothing like standing on a tee and knowing you're going to miss the fairway, but have no clue on which side. At which point the chipping, putting, everything goes away. Fat, thin, borderline misses. I get them all. No clue why. Body and brain both desert me.

30 strokes. EASY. ESC plays a huge part on those days. I've broken 80 and 100 this year, and I lost track of the 100+.

My off days usually put me in the upper 70s to low 80s. It usually happens when I start hooking the ball.

off days in can be a struggle to break 90. if it's a tight course and i get down on myself, it can be a struggle to break 100. good days, threatening the 70s. best days, mid- to upper-70s. so a 30 stroke different. it's why there are times i'm a little afraid of the game.

this year when im off its manageable, especially as i learn more about my swing and what is causing misses.

My way off rounds are usually in the mid-high 80s but lately the days where those rounds happen have been closer to 80 than 85. Im confident that i can chalk that up to a vastly improved short game and very solid putting from inside 10 feet. Im just not giving away shots when things go bad like i used to. Good scores are awesome but better bad days might be even better.

Yesterday was brutal. I was the "A" player in an ABCD blind draw scramble. For some reason, I could not get off the tee to save my life. We had to have 4 drives from each player and it came down to the 18th hole where we had to take my drive, no matter what. I drilled the 3 wood 250 down the middle and thought, "where the heck has that swing been all day"? Normally, the driver is the 2nd most dependable club in the bag behind the putter. Nothing on the day was stellar, but I just kept grinding and trying to help the team. It was a bit embarrasing when our "C" player played so much better than I did (I'm a 5ghin and he's a 13ghin), but we had a lot of fun anyway and I met 3 new golf friends.

When I'm off its usually with the driver so things can get out of hand quickly if I let it. On those days I'll usually tee off with a 3W or iron. I'd say my game is still manageable when I'm off though.

I go from mediocre to terrible. There's no in-between. Especially if the back is acting up.

Usually depends on my back. If I can't get it loose then it can be a very bad day. The sequence goes something like this - repeated bad shots lead to a bad attitude which leads to me not caring where the ball goes. My score will go from mid to high 70's to almost anywhere including north of 90. This, I remind you is on my home course. ON new or resort courses it can get much worse!!

Best rounds are in the high 80s for me, typical round low to mid 90s, "$#@! it, I'm drinking" rounds end up at about 100.

I'm making a real effort this year to NOT succumb to the "$#@! it, I'm drinking" urge and do everything I can to save a round that starts off bad.

I'm still waiting to be on……

I feel like there is always at least one part of my game that is off.

Depnds on what is really off.. If it is the Driver and really off - it can be rough day north of 90. Anything else and is just off, I am finding that the rest of my game is manageable to keep south of 90.

Most days when I'm "off" it's still manageable and I can still get a somewhat respectable score out of it. However, I have had days that I'm really off, like maybe twice a year, where I don't have a clue what's happening and I end up shooting close to 100. Usually on those days, it's best not to say a word to me, because most likely it's not just pertaining to my golf game. Everything I do on those day is "off"

Back