Recap Thread - 2014 Morgan Cup

There are a few people I should have mentioned and I will contact them personally to express my regret of not addressing their meaning to me.

Boy, it's easy for these things to go long.

David,

This was absolutely fantastic. That round we played on Saturday will be one I always think about, but more importantly I'm happy to have gotten the chance to meet you and consider you a friend. You really captured just what makes this place special in this.

This is the hardest post for me to ever make on THP. I've been waffling back and forth on even posting it. Morgan and Josh, what the two of you have created means the absolute world to me. I don't know if I was able to get it across during this video but I hope I did. No script, no notes, turn on the camera and go.

Thanks for posting and laying it out there. This is why the Morgan Cup is the Ultimate Golf Event Period.

On a side note, I don't think I will forgot our round at True Blue in December anytime soon. It was so freaking cold but we didn't care. We need to tee it up again. Soon.

I love these video recaps. I'm sitting here with a couple bottles of wine (yes bottles, these are long haha, so worth it though) and working my way through them. You guys are all freaking rock stars. I'm so proud of each and every one of you how you stepped up your game, represented your OEMs, and represented this amazing site. It is touching to see the emotion in the videos and feel it in the words of the text recaps. Gets dusty in here quite often. Really something special.

Here's a video recap of my Saturday and Sunday rounds - a bit long winded, a bit repetitive, but it was unscripted and I am not good at these things, hehe.

Nate, you're a hell of a great guy, and I enjoyed our round and glad I got to meet you. Truly look forward to teeing up with you in the future.

This is the hardest post for me to ever make on THP. I've been waffling back and forth on even posting it. Morgan and Josh, what the two of you have created means the absolute world to me. I don't know if I was able to get it across during this video but I hope I did. No script, no notes, turn on the camera and go.

Jordan, thank you for the video. You're a great guy and I'm sorry for the rough patch you're going through, and glad to hear the MC helped you get away from it even if just for the weekend. Great video.

I drank enough sriracha that the next time my wife went to use it for cooking, she commented on how much of it was gone. Turns out trying to hold your own phone at arm's length while drinking the stuff and shooting a vine video is harder than it seems, and it took several takes. But I had come home from work to an empty house and an idea I was hot for the idea (so to speak) and I got it done. I almost regretted it, or not telling my wife that I had entered in this contest, and by about two days later was confident that my goofy hot sauce drinking vine video was so thoroughly outclassed that I had nothing to worry about.

To give you an idea of how little I used twitter and social media 8 months ago, I hadn't bothered to turn off any notifications on twitter. So when the flood of mentions, retweets, and favorites poured in, my phone exploded. Now came the really tough part: explaining to my wife what I'd done. We had sworn that 2014 we would tighten our belts, avoid trips back east (we had 2 more than expected in 2013), and live very frugally...and here I managed to convince her to spend an absurd amount of money on golf (all things being equal), along with paying for a trip back East. My whole year tilted on its axis, the day before Thanksgiving. At the time I was, I think, a 24 handicap, but played Eagles Glen Thanksgiving morning in Corona, CA, and posted a 94 (lights out golf for me at the time), and a couple more good rounds had me around a 22 or so handicap by the time Christmas break rolled around. The race was on. We enjoyed an impossibly mild winter, and there was never a time I recall being sent home by weather in the 7 months of lead up to the event. I took lessons with my coach, Ron DeSantis, where I learned short game work and the course management skills to take however I was swinging that day and learn to make the course work for me. My scores improved steadily. I got selected for team Hackers, for which I am infinitely grateful and consider Donne one of the best influences my life has found in years. I'll have some gushing words to say about him later. I freely admit to now knowing the captains and teams as well as I should have at the time I was picked, but Donne's encouragement to absorb and enjoy the journey and the experience was the best advice I could have hoped for. His attitude was exactly what I needed to try and really use this as an opportunity to be the best golfer, and the best person, I could be during and after this event.

You'd think this would be the best part...scores are improving, I played a ton of golf, the spring here is mild and pleasant, and a golf course is the only patch of green this Virginia boy gets to see. The fact is, my wife and I agreed that to make this happen, I'd take every night shift I could get my hands on, so I could get some sleep, play golf during "twilight" hours. My whole schedule was shifted from my family's. I'd get home from the course as they were getting home from work & school, all grumpy and tired, struggle through dinner, then I'd get dressed in my uniform and go to work all night. I can't possibly give enough credit to my wife, who stayed the course, though (at the time) she didn't really grasp the idea of doing all things for a bunch of "internet golfers." Her endurance and patience, and her understanding of my desire to get as good as I was able, speak to the kind of person, the kind of woman she is. She's been cooking the books for awhile, because I live better, eat better, and play more golf than a rusted out Sergeant deserves, and all without going bankrupt. I cannot thank her enough for agreeing to all of this insanity, let alone providing me everything I needed. I wanted a new putter, I got one. Broke a club, money was found to replace it. She works magic, and if I spend the rest of my life making it up to her, it won't be enough.

I can't count the times I thought I should just quit. I wasn't going to get below an 18 anyway. I'd hit a bad streak, or just hit the skids and post the same score over and over again, and get frustrated...I'll have more to say about them, but my team, man, those jokers were the perfect foil for anytime I got down. It's just impossible to hear from them and stay down.

Fast forward a bit, the last week before the Morgan Cup I felt like it was all coming together. I broke 90 twice in a row on my home course, I was on leave, I flew back to Virginia, shot a round in the low 90's at Quantico, and felt good. Wednesday we drove down, and I met Kevin and some of the other volunteers and fellow MC competitors. The idea of dinner was bandied about, but somehow we were late finding out that everyone had migrated to La Playa, and Rebecca and I were among the last to show up. I have to be honest, that room was abuzz, and it seemed like so many people knew each other and decidedly didn't know me, I had about 15 seconds of worry that I just wouldn't get along there...I shouldn't have. Rick sought me out and welcomed me to the place, and before my first beer was done it felt like joining a unit in the Army that already had high spirits and morale. They don't get that way by being exclusionary. Getting a chance to put faces to names was awesome.

Thursday morning I met up with Team Hackers and we played 18 at Caledonia. I felt like the practice round, despite how poorly I played, at Caledonia, was a great way to shake the cobwebs out and get used to playing in front of people who are at all interested in my play. Plus, a chance to finally meet and horse around with Donne and the rest of the team would have made any score worth it. I was having some trouble getting solid contact with my irons, and Adam, gracious guy that he is, said he'd work with me, rather than play his afternoon round. He said it was better to get some range time in than play another 18 in this heat...but he was also sweating a lot less than the rest of us. We went through some drills and just some things I'd forgotten, but his pointing out some flaws in my address position have genuinely changed my game, though I'll need another post-recap post to explain...call it an aftermath post. The actual event to follow...

Last edited:

There are a few people I should have mentioned and I will contact them personally to express my regret of not addressing their meaning to me.

Our friendship is one of the best things to come out of the event for me buddy. I'm so glad that round had a similar impact on you as it did me.

That's the Morgan Cup. The #MCBrotherhood.

Very amazingly impactful recaps guys. Pouring out your heart is one of the hardest things anyone can do, so for you guys to just let it all out there is beyond awesome. I've always viewed golf as a way to escape the outside world for a few hours, but this event did it for days/week. I'm glad you guys are better golfers and people for going thru this journey and event, it truly is the ultimate golf event from many reasons that even transcend golf. You are all friends in my book and I'm glad to have experienced this with you all. It's getting harder and harder to stop the allergy flare ups watching these videos. The Morgan Cup doesn't just effect the golfer, but the entire person and that is bigger than anyone can comprehend without experiencing it.

Friday morning…man, penned in the clubhouse…the whole place was electric. When we finally were let out, I hustled down the path with everyone else, and stopped just short and turned back. A couple guys said I was going the wrong way, but I realized in my excitement I had left my wife behind. I realized how much she meant to me to make this trip together, and how much she had sacrificed to help me realize this day, and I wanted to have her with me for it. I wish she could grasp how much it means to me, but this sort of thing is just her standard operating procedure.
There’s no way to properly describe what it’s like for a 17 handicap to see his name on a staff bag that looks straight off a pro tour. I had sworn that if I got below an 18, I’d walk around with the idea of “I’m just happy to be here” stuck in my head and on my lips, and I think everyone had it on Friday. Donne asked me to keep a little in the tank for the afternoon, or else I would have never gotten off the range. Chad seemed to be everywhere at once, but his only demand was for all the stickers to be removed from the clubs. Glamor shots were asked for and cheerfully given, but it was mostly a matter of getting acquainted with the gear I requested a couple months prior. Callaway was awesome. While Chad was there, and asked for some shots and poses, Callaway’s representation was very…just relaxed. Enjoy the product. It was very cool to not have microphones or iPads on Segues or anything like that, just Chad handing us more cool gear and telling us to have fun. We broke for lunch, and I swear I meant to eat more than a peanut butter sandwich, but I was so keyed up, it didn’t happen. While rain and lightning washed out all but the first hole and a half, I felt pretty good as we closed out our golfing Friday. We showered, changed, and headed to dinner…I had overheard some mention that Kyle was leaving, but, like everyone else, had no idea what was in store. That being said, this being my first THP event and not knowing anyone by sight, I was that guy standing right by the door with the ignorant look on my face when Jake walked in. Still, the amplitude in the room spiked, and I knew it was an important change in the event. Once I got an education on Jake from Tim and other guys about who that bald guy was, there was just a great sense of momentum toward some great things that Jake would be a stick in the event. I feel awful for Flog that his journey ended the way it did, and wish him the best. But I felt like Friday ended on a great note, one that the vets, the guys who bought into this event when it was such a smaller scale, were enjoying the payoff they deserved to have Jake there and playing.
Saturday morning’s match up was Donne and me for Team Hackers against Coers and Parshooter (Andrew and Andy). I felt fine until I went to put my ball & tee into the ground after my name was announced. I’ve done a lot of things in my life expressly designed to make me nervous and uncomfortable. Very few of them compare to #10 at True Blue on Saturday. I sliced my drive into the woods, though because Donne striped his, we didn’t bother looking for my lost shot. Donne says, “Dude, you make solid contact on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee at the Morgan Cup. That puts you in rare company.” I remember it being a real slugfest, with very few holes split, and me having to remind Donne a lot that the formats allowed for select shot. Donne and I spent a fair amount of time calming each other down, and playing very solid golf. We stayed close until the second hole of the front 9, where we let Andrew & Andy get a 3 hole lead, but we battled back. I know he was feeling a bit down after lipping out a putt on 8, leaving us 1 down going into the last hole, and I remember thinking I wanted to set him up as best I could off the tee. Well, I blasted a drive that will remain seared in my brain forever, because it left us about 205-210 yards out. I convinced him to gun for the hole in 2, and he put his 3W close, but it rolled into the green-side bunker. I looked and looked for an angle where I could keep the sand shot on the green and have confidence I could get it out. Ultimately I bailed and left him about 6 feet short of the front. He and I both struggled from the sand that morning, so I feel like I set him up as best I could. He rolled his putt from the front to about 5’ away, and I put in one of the most stressful shots of my life, for half a point. The bear hug from Donne, the realization that I had helped him break his Morgan Cup drought, meant so much to me. From a golf and Morgan Cup and emotions and team and everything about this event, that hug from Donne is just the pinnacle of golf for me. I can’t not feel just so much elation to have been a contributing part of it.
Saturday afternoon was probably the most fun round I played. Rick & James, you guys are awesome. Within about 2 holes, there would have been no indication that you guys & Donne already knew each other and that Rebecca and I were new comers. Quips, jibes, and trash talk flew fast & furious, Donne and I, though a bit drained from the 18th hole comeback ordeal, both felt our spirits lifted to play against you guys. To go 2&1 against you guys on the front was just some of the most fun I’ve ever had playing golf. By the back 9 I was tired & spent, and it was tough to play even decent golf, honestly. But the look on James’ face from my 80 yard approach on 15 was vindication enough of the work I’d put in. Sticking that wedge shot to a couple of feet, in a losing effort, felt so good. I didn’t and still don’t need vindication for my efforts last weekend. But feeling, for one brief second, hard work pay off, sticking that wedge felt like it.

By comparison to Saturday’s drama and semi-close finishes, Sunday was a letdown. I lost to the far superior golfer in Matt Maynard, 9&7. I don’t feel the slightest bit of shame in it. Matt, man, such a solid golfer and class act. Maybe 3 or 4 holes in, after we split the first, I realized we were both playing our respective games…just his game is for par with birdies thrown in, and mine was for bogey, with pars thrown in. The whole way, such a gracious, fun guy. I couldn’t have hand-picked a better guy to get run over by.
The ride from closing out on 11 to the clubhouse, I felt a little down. Felt like I could have played singles better, regardless of opponent. As a wrestler/combatives fighter, I’m used to being the guy who pressures opponents until they crack. The shoe felt odd on the other foot. Eventually I met up with a couple other players who said they were going to go out and see some other matches, and I found myself at the nexus that is the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] tee box, where I could give Cookie the slow walk, pat on the back, and congratulations for a certain decent shot he landed. Any thought of melancholy was chased from my mind when I saw that. I followed Donne in and got to see his beautiful approach shot into 18 and welcome him home with a diet coke (because I didn’t honestly know what he drank). I welcomed everyone willing into the veranda with a handshake or hug. Like Adam’s dad, Bill, I was aware that I was in the presence of some great golf. Adam’s war against Henri was simply epic.

I’m going to save the rest for my aftermath post, which I won’t get to until, I think, tomorrow evening. Not because of anything particular in the ensuing events, but because I want to get a round of golf between me and the Morgan Cup, and that won’t happen until tomorrow at the earliest. Thanks to everyone who has read these semi-drunken ramblings.

Jordan, that was awesome. My wife just asked me why I was crying and I don't even care. I love you buddy. You know I am always here of you need anything at all.

Friday morning…man, penned in the clubhouse…the whole place was electric. When we finally were let out, I hustled down the path with everyone else, and stopped just short and turned back. A couple guys said I was going the wrong way, but I realized in my excitement I had left my wife behind. I realized how much she meant to me to make this trip together, and how much she had sacrificed to help me realize this day, and I wanted to have her with me for it. I wish she could grasp how much it means to me, but this sort of thing is just her standard operating procedure.
There’s no way to properly describe what it’s like for a 17 handicap to see his name on a staff bag that looks straight off a pro tour. I had sworn that if I got below an 18, I’d walk around with the idea of “I’m just happy to be here” stuck in my head and on my lips, and I think everyone had it on Friday. Donne asked me to keep a little in the tank for the afternoon, or else I would have never gotten off the range. Chad seemed to be everywhere at once, but his only demand was for all the stickers to be removed from the clubs. Glamor shots were asked for and cheerfully given, but it was mostly a matter of getting acquainted with the gear I requested a couple months prior. Callaway was awesome. While Chad was there, and asked for some shots and poses, Callaway’s representation was very…just relaxed. Enjoy the product. It was very cool to not have microphones or iPads on Segues or anything like that, just Chad handing us more cool gear and telling us to have fun. We broke for lunch, and I swear I meant to eat more than a peanut butter sandwich, but I was so keyed up, it didn’t happen. While rain and lightning washed out all but the first hole and a half, I felt pretty good as we closed out our golfing Friday. We showered, changed, and headed to dinner…I had overheard some mention that Kyle was leaving, but, like everyone else, had no idea what was in store. That being said, this being my first THP event and not knowing anyone by sight, I was that guy standing right by the door with the ignorant look on my face when Jake walked in. Still, the amplitude in the room spiked, and I knew it was an important change in the event. Once I got an education on Jake from Tim and other guys about who that bald guy was, there was just a great sense of momentum toward some great things that Jake would be a stick in the event. I feel awful for Flog that his journey ended the way it did, and wish him the best. But I felt like Friday ended on a great note, one that the vets, the guys who bought into this event when it was such a smaller scale, were enjoying the payoff they deserved to have Jake there and playing.
Saturday morning’s match up was Donne and me for Team Hackers against Coers and Parshooter (Andrew and Andy). I felt fine until I went to put my ball & tee into the ground after my name was announced. I’ve done a lot of things in my life expressly designed to make me nervous and uncomfortable. Very few of them compare to #10 at True Blue on Saturday. I sliced my drive into the woods, though because Donne striped his, we didn’t bother looking for my lost shot. Donne says, “Dude, you make solid contact on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee at the Morgan Cup. That puts you in rare company.” I remember it being a real slugfest, with very few holes split, and me having to remind Donne a lot that the formats allowed for select shot. Donne and I spent a fair amount of time calming each other down, and playing very solid golf. We stayed close until the second hole of the front 9, where we let Andrew & Andy get a 3 hole lead, but we battled back. I know he was feeling a bit down after lipping out a putt on 8, leaving us 1 down going into the last hole, and I remember thinking I wanted to set him up as best I could off the tee. Well, I blasted a drive that will remain seared in my brain forever, because it left us about 205-210 yards out. I convinced him to gun for the hole in 2, and he put his 3W close, but it rolled into the green-side bunker. I looked and looked for an angle where I could keep the sand shot on the green and have confidence I could get it out. Ultimately I bailed and left him about 6 feet short of the front. He and I both struggled from the sand that morning, so I feel like I set him up as best I could. He rolled his putt from the front to about 5’ away, and I put in one of the most stressful shots of my life, for half a point. The bear hug from Donne, the realization that I had helped him break his Morgan Cup drought, meant so much to me. From a golf and Morgan Cup and emotions and team and everything about this event, that hug from Donne is just the pinnacle of golf for me. I can’t not feel just so much elation to have been a contributing part of it.
Saturday afternoon was probably the most fun round I played. Rick & James, you guys are awesome. Within about 2 holes, there would have been no indication that you guys & Donne already knew each other and that Rebecca and I were new comers. Quips, jibes, and trash talk flew fast & furious, Donne and I, though a bit drained from the 18th hole comeback ordeal, both felt our spirits lifted to play against you guys. To go 2&1 against you guys on the front was just some of the most fun I’ve ever had playing golf. By the back 9 I was tired & spent, and it was tough to play even decent golf, honestly. But the look on James’ face from my 80 yard approach on 15 was vindication enough of the work I’d put in. Sticking that wedge shot to a couple of feet, in a losing effort, felt so good. I didn’t and still don’t need vindication for my efforts last weekend. But feeling, for one brief second, hard work pay off, sticking that wedge felt like it.

By comparison to Saturday’s drama and semi-close finishes, Sunday was a letdown. I lost to the far superior golfer in Matt Maynard, 9&7. I don’t feel the slightest bit of shame in it. Matt, man, such a solid golfer and class act. Maybe 3 or 4 holes in, after we split the first, I realized we were both playing our respective games…just his game is for par with birdies thrown in, and mine was for bogey, with pars thrown in. The whole way, such a gracious, fun guy. I couldn’t have hand-picked a better guy to get run over by.
The ride from closing out on 11 to the clubhouse, I felt a little down. Felt like I could have played singles better, regardless of opponent. As a wrestler/combatives fighter, I’m used to being the guy who pressures opponents until they crack. The shoe felt odd on the other foot. Eventually I met up with a couple other players who said they were going to go out and see some other matches, and I found myself at the nexus that is the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] tee box, where I could give Cookie the slow walk, pat on the back, and congratulations for a certain decent shot he landed. Any thought of melancholy was chased from my mind when I saw that. I followed Donne in and got to see his beautiful approach shot into 18 and welcome him home with a diet coke (because I didn’t honestly know what he drank). I welcomed everyone willing into the veranda with a handshake or hug. Like Adam’s dad, Bill, I was aware that I was in the presence of some great golf. Adam’s war against Henri was simply epic.

I’m going to save the rest for my aftermath post, which I won’t get to until, I think, tomorrow evening. Not because of anything particular in the ensuing events, but because I want to get a round of golf between me and the Morgan Cup, and that won’t happen until tomorrow at the earliest. Thanks to everyone who has read these semi-drunken ramblings.
Steve, sharing that round with you and your wife was special man. It was a ton of fun but to see here there supporting you was awesome. It was also awesome to watch Rebecca start to get THP as the weekend went on. She is absolutely awesome. And you're right. That wedge on 15 was freaking awesome. You can hit all the shots, just need to commit to them. You will be absolutely fine.

Jordan what a heart felt recap. Seeing you go through seven months of that is extraordinary, and you an alright dude in my books! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and mention of weird, strange noises.

David and Jordan, I made it through those and was moved. Both of you embraced this in your own way and came to Myrtle Beach smiling the entire weekend. It showed me what could be done and it was a pleasure to watch.

Here's my video, and it got a little long. Thanks for those who get through it, but understand for those who don't. This event was the best golf event I could ever dream of, so thank you to all who made it happen. Special thanks to my wife who didn't really get credit in my ramblings but is a major part of why I was able to do this event.

Awesome stuff, my friend.

My dude
Powerful words man. I give you all the props in the world with how you handled business in your 2 different journeys. The weak would have caved in with your circumstances each time but you have remained grounded and focused on that little one in the other room and your THP family.

Keep plugging away dude and know there is light at the end of the tunnel and know that we are all here for you anytime you need us.

It was a pleasure chatting it up with you again (and blasting you with that divot) and I look forward to next time

I found a meeting room with no windows sat down and hit record. No intentions of go over 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even 40 minutes. Much like Seth though, it happens. I promise every recap I post after this will be something funny I remember from the weekend. :act-up:

So sit down, grab a bottle of something....because you'll probably be able to get through it all and enjoy!

Edit: HAWK!!! I'm really sorry about 10-15 minutes in. It's nothing bad. I just gave you the wrong first name...:dohanim:

Really nice video, Adam.

Very glad to have played with you and Jeremiah. You both have very good games, but it was frankly better just hanging out for the afternoon.

I am way behind but spending a few hours this morning going through some video recaps is such a great way to start the day.

Jordan - Good stuff dude. No Ragrets buddy. I loved having you on the team because I knew how much this event means to you and knew you would bring it.

David - I didn't realize some of the things you were dealing with but I am glad you got this opportunity and THP was able to help you work through some things. I really enjoyed our round together and look forward to doing it again.

Ok I have gone back and forth whether to do this, but felt video was better to truly convey my thoughts. I hope I'm uploading this correctly.

https://vimeo.com/102261564

Wow!! I saved this for the weekend so I could see the whole thing.

Simply the best 20 minutes I will spend all weekend.

Just Incredible stuff Mike.

I love reading and watching all these recaps and feeling the emotion that the Morgan Cup gives people. Being a participant in 2 of these events just reading these and watching the videos brings back a flood of memories and gets me all "dusty" again.

Josh and Morgan, I am proud to have met both of you and to have been a part of 2 of these amazing events. Being in the Morgan Cup is truly a once in a lifetime experience that I got to make twice, the friendships and memories that you guys helped create will last a lifetime.

Thanks to everyone of you for all that you done to make this event so special.

Again Watched every second--excellent and from the heart.

Great recaps and videos everyone, I'll finish them all tonight, but I love hearing and reading each one of your own perspectives, the underlying theme, this event rocked!

Ill be honest. I watched your video cuz it was under 10 min lol. All joking aside, having shared a match with you i didnt want to miss it. First let me say this: i dont know what you're going on in your life and i am sorry i was not intuitive enough to at least inquire or share some sentiments. You handled the weekend like a champ and i am so happy we took out match to 18. I would not trade that sunday for anything. I truly hope we can share a round together and reflect on it and share laughs. And whatever is going on in your life, i believe you will handle it like how i saw you handle everything. Like a champ!!! I am happy to have gotten to know you even a little bit!

So I ran into a buzz saw when I got back..... No, #Cookie wasn't in Memphis but we are stretched pretty thin at work and my ability to THP there has been limited. Started from the beginning of this thread last night and picked up this morning. I decided not to play today, so I could spend it here with all of you. The recaps thus far both written and on video are so wonderful. Frankly, they have allowed me to remember some more of the "little things" that make special occasions like this so memorable.

I will have at least one recap done today for sure. All of you have made such an permanent mark on me and my heart. We are all so fortunate.

JM

I am way behind on videos, but Jordan I watched yours first. We all love you brother, even those of us who met you for the first time this weekend.

Just caught up on the first 150 posts over the last hour and this thread is awesome, I have a lot more to read but I promise I will read every recap, each of you deserve that from those of us who lived vicariously through you. Well done so far everyone and I look forward to reading the rest of the thread.

Back