Drill for swinging inside to outside

Aussie Dave

Hacker From OZ
Reaction score
Handicap
GA 15
The only way I can drive a ball reasonably straight is to aim my club face at the target then close my stance so my body aims at the target also to give me an inside to outside swing path if I set up with everything square I have a slice. Setting the club face to closed doesn't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one for you to try. This is real effective for huge over the toppers. Get 2) empty range buckets and place them on the ground upside down. Aim the buckets so they have a path that aims to the right with a ball teed up in the middle. Swing and don't hit the buckets and hit the ball. Keep on moving the buckets as close as you can once you become more efficient. Address the ball about a foot back in your normal stance and aim slightly left as well. Should hit a big push draw after a while

you can also use head covers as well. I have witnessed many a golfer wack the first bucket , me included

If u are right hander, imagine your right arm at downswing, coming from 4 o'clock, exit 10 o'clock. Both arms must straight ( fully extended ) at impact point. If u cant do both arms, your left arm must be straight, in line with impact point. Enjoy golf :act-up:

The only way I can drive a ball reasonably straight is to aim my club face at the target then close my stance so my body aims at the target also to give me an inside to outside swing path if I set up with everything square I have a slice. Setting the club face to closed doesn't work either.

Check face contact.I hit fades and slices with my driver so i have been using a dry erase marker to highlight ball strike when i'm at the range. I've found if i hit centre or towards the toe that the flight is straighter.

Check face contact.I hit fades and slices with my driver so i have been using a dry erase marker to highlight ball strike when i'm at the range. I've found if i hit centre or towards the toe that the flight is straighter.

I'm hitting them out of the middle

Most golfers that swing outside in lack a good shoulder turn. At the top of the backswing they are not in a position that lends itself to dropping the club in "the slot" and hit the ball from a square or inside club path. I would work on your flexibility and focus on improving your shoulder turn. For me, my hips are the engine that starts the backswing and the downswing the arms and hands are just along for the ride and I think of them as being very passive throughout the swing.

Last edited:
Place your driver cover just outside of the ball when you practice.

I have used a "Figure 8" drill, where I really exaggerage my take-away to be outside of the ball, then really exaggerate the downswing to get really inside the ball. Momentum of the club head will make a figure 8. Think about starting the lower right part of the "8" on the takeaway and completing the lower circle on the downswing. It is similar to a bunch of the other drills, mentioned above, just a different visual.

I worked all last winter on changing from an out/in to in/out swing path. Used all sorts of drills...some of which are listed above. But in the end what was most important for me, was knowing if what I was doing was really producing the desired swing path. Using a skypro provided me that instant feedback. It was amazing how much I had to feel like I was massively swinging in to out....to even get a 0deg swing path.

I have used a "Figure 8" drill, where I really exaggerage my take-away to be outside of the ball, then really exaggerate the downswing to get really inside the ball. Momentum of the club head will make a figure 8. Think about starting the lower right part of the "8" on the takeaway and completing the lower circle on the downswing. It is similar to a bunch of the other drills, mentioned above, just a different visual.

Thanks for that I can visualize that I have always taken the club away to the inside thinking it would stop me from going outside in.

If u are right hander, imagine your right arm at downswing, coming from 4 o'clock, exit 10 o'clock. Both arms must straight ( fully extended ) at impact point. If u cant do both arms, your left arm must be straight, in line with impact point. Enjoy golf :act-up:

Is 12 o'clock on the target line closest to the target

An inside out swing path won't cure what you have. If anything it could eventually make it worse. You could end up going to another extreme of getting stuck on the swing.

The club head should travel straight back away from the ball and then up to the top of your swing. If you have the proper stance and posture, this can be achieved.

The arms and shoulders guide the club back away from the ball. Straight back and low until the club head gets to the right knee. At this point your right arm will fold as you shoulders complete the turn. The club will actually travel a bit outside the imaginary line from your ball but trust me you're in a positive inside move. More important, the club will remain in front of you, not behind.

The down swing is just as important because you've been throwing your arms out on the down swing and cutting across the ball. Which mean your hips have been secondary and not the primary force in the down swing. You need to start the down swing with the hips releasing so that the club and arms can fall down toward the right hip and then thru the hit zone. The key hear is to let the arms fall then engage the swing. This only happens if the hips start the swing.

An update on how the new swing is going

Last edited:

An inside out swing path won't cure what you have. If anything it could eventually make it worse. You could end up going to another extreme of getting stuck on the swing.

The club head should travel straight back away from the ball and then up to the top of your swing. If you have the proper stance and posture, this can be achieved.

The arms and shoulders guide the club back away from the ball. Straight back and low until the club head gets to the right knee. At this point your right arm will fold as you shoulders complete the turn. The club will actually travel a bit outside the imaginary line from your ball but trust me you're in a positive inside move. More important, the club will remain in front of you, not behind.

The down swing is just as important because you've been throwing your arms out on the down swing and cutting across the ball. Which mean your hips have been secondary and not the primary force in the down swing. You need to start the down swing with the hips releasing so that the club and arms can fall down toward the right hip and then thru the hit zone. The key hear is to let the arms fall then engage the swing. This only happens if the hips start the swing.

An update on how the new swing is going the straight back and keep it low takeaway is working great. If I get the downswing started with my hips just before my arms I hit a nice little fade of about 5 yards, if my arms start before my hips I hit it low or off the toe of the driver and goes right, if I get my hips going to early and my arms cant catch up I hit it left but long and straight. But if I hit a bad drive I now know what I did wrong and can tee up another ball and hit it straight. I just have to get the start of my downswing consistent and my drives will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using

An update on how the new swing is going the straight back and keep it low takeaway is working great. If I get the downswing started with my hips just before my arms I hit a nice little fade of about 5 yards, if my arms start before my hips I hit it low or off the toe of the driver and goes right, if I get my hips going to early and my arms cant catch up I hit it left but long and straight. But if I hit a bad drive I now know what I did wrong and can tee up another ball and hit it straight. I just have to get the start of my downswing consistent and my drives will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using

This is great to hear, keep at it.

Have you got any tips for starting the downswing in sequence or is it just a feel thing.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for fixing my driving, I have included the takeaway as part of my preshot routine, after I address the ball I take the club away low and straight back then return it to the ball then I just pull the triger. I have never driven the ball so consistently, the ball usually goes dead straight or a slight fade of about 5 meters, I have gained around 30 meters on average and my best drive to date was 50 meters longer than I have ever driven. Gone are the days of a high weak slice, and great to be playing most of my shots from the fairway, the take away now feels natural and starting the down swing with my hips and not my arms is becoming automatic, who would of thought just doing those two things could make so much difference, once again thanks for your help.

Thanks so much for fixing my driving, I have included the takeaway as part of my preshot routine, after I address the ball I take the club away low and straight back then return it to the ball then I just pull the triger. I have never driven the ball so consistently, the ball usually goes dead straight or a slight fade of about 5 meters, I have gained around 30 meters on average and my best drive to date was 50 meters longer than I have ever driven. Gone are the days of a high weak slice, and great to be playing most of my shots from the fairway, the take away now feels natural and starting the down swing with my hips and not my arms is becoming automatic, who would of thought just doing those two things could make so much difference, once again thanks for your help.

I live for stuff like this. This is why I love teaching, for moments such as this. Very glad I could help!

I live for stuff like this. This is why I love teaching, for moments such as this. Very glad I could help!

And you done it from half the world away, I had lessons and nothing seemed to work it all seemed to technical and too much to think about while trying to make a good swing, your solution was just so simple.

And you done it from half the world away, I had lessons and nothing seemed to work it all seemed to technical and too much to think about while trying to make a good swing, your solution was just so simple.

he has a gift

Back