WGC Matchplay (Spoilers)

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
The PGA Tour heads to San Fransicsco, the new site for the WGC Match Play, along with a new format.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/cadillac-match-play.html

The live draw for the new match play concept in now happening.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.c.../cadillac-match-play-group-draw.html#LiveBlog

I am totally fascinated by the new concept. And, the live draw adds a new twist, along with the round robin format.

Group 1:
Rory McIlroy (1)
Billy Horschel (18)
Brandt Snedeker (35)
Jason Dufner (53)

Last edited:
SAN FRANCISCO – Tournament officials at the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Match Play announced today a new selection process for how the 16 groups of the event’s new group-play format will be determined. As previously announced, the top seed for each of the 16 four-player groups will remain the top 16 players in order of their position in the Official World Golf Ranking.

However, on Monday, April 27, at noon ET, the remaining three players in each group will be determined by a blind draw from each of three pools depending on their standing in the OWGR.

The World Golf Championships-Cadillac Match Play comes to TPC Harding Park in San Francisco from April 27 - May 3 and will feature 33 hours of live coverage on Golf Channel and NBC, the most ever for this event.

Under the guidance of the PGA TOUR Competitions Officials, the drawings will be from Golf Channel’s Golf Central studio in Orlando as part of a live telecast. The 90-minute selection show will televise the draw, analyze the groups and feature live shots from San Francisco to get comments and reaction. Groups will be posted live to PGATOUR.COM and fans will be able to follow analysis and commentary throughout the draw. A live stream will also be available at PGATOUR.COM and GolfChannel.com through the Golf Live Extra application as well through the PGA TOUR mobile apps.
With the new format in place the three remaining pools will be as follows:
• Pool 1 – Players seeded 17-32
• Pool 2 – Players seeded 33-48
• Pool 3 – Players seeded 49-64

I'll post each group separately to generate THP discussion on each group.

This is like watching the draw for the World Cup. Brilliant idea.

GROUP 16

H. Matsuyama (16)
Kevin Na (20)
Joost Luiten (43)
Alexander Levy (52)

GROUP 8

Dustin Johnson (8)
Victory Dubuisson (21)
Charl Schwartzel (37)
Matt Jones (58)

GROUP 9

Adam Scott (9)
Chris Kirk (25)
Paul Casey (36)
F. Molinari (64)

GROUP 4

Bubba Watson (4)
Louis Oosthuizen (29)
Keegan Bradley (33)
M. A. Jimenez (63)

Watched 1/2 of the draw during lunch..pretty cool and I like it. Some interesting groups already and Rors group is going to be tough. I like the course to be a good challenge for match play

GROUP 13

Rickie Fowler (13)
Graame McDowell (32)
Shane Lowry (47)
Harris English (55)

GROUP 5

Jim Furyk (5)
Martin Kaymer (17)
Thongchai Jaidee (44)
George Coetzee (59)

GROUP 2

Jordan Spieth (2)
Lee Westwood (26)
Matt Every (40)
Mikko Ilonen (62)

GROUP 15

Patrick Reed (15)
Ryan Moore (28)
Danny Willett (48)
Andy Sullivan (57)

GROUP 7

Jason Day (7)
Zach Johnson (24)
Branden Grace (38)
Charley Hoffman (49)

GROUP 10

Sergio Garcia (10)
Jamie Donaldson (30)
Bernd Wiesberger (39)
Tommy Fleetwood (54)

I think I like this format. Looking forward to hearing how it plays out. Just thinking out loud, I wonder how this would work at a THP event? I doubt it would be over 4 days, but a couple of days of match play competition with a similar format would be fun.

GROUP 12

J.B. Holmes (12)
Brooks Koepka (19)
Russell Henley (45)
Marc Warren (51)

GROUP 3

Henrik Stenson (3)
Bill Haas (23)
Brendon Todd (42)
John Senden (60)

GROUP 14

Matt Kuchar (14)
Hunter Mahan (31)
Stephen Gallacher (41)
Ben Martin (61)

GROUP 6

Justin Rose (6)
Ryan Palmer (22)
Anirban Lahiri (34)
Marc Leishman (56)

This is in my backyard! I'm going to try and check out a practice round or matchplay round.

This is the last group draw. Maybe they did that for Poulter's benefit. haha.

GROUP 11

Jimmy Walker (11)
Ian Poulter (27)
Webb Simpson (46)
Gary Woodland (50)

I think the tour is doing a great job trying to redo this event, seems to be drawing quite a bit of buzz so far.

I like the format change, should keep things interesting for the first 3 days, rather than seeing guys get dumped out after Wednesday. The Friday matches should be really interesting, seeing guys have to go on the offensive trying to make the final 16.

I'm a fan of the new format, although it gets rid of the craziness of the first day where there were 32 matches and half of the guys went home on that first day. The new format means that every player gets 3 matches on Wednesday-Friday, and then the round of 16 and round of 8 are on Saturday with the semifinals and finals on Sunday. Hopefully more of the top guys make it to the weekend with this format. If the seeds hold, one of the round of 16 matches could be Spieth vs. Reed, that would be awesome.

This event needed a little life. Looking forward to it for once.

Back