Why did I wait so long to try graphite iron shafts!?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I'm looking at getting a new set of irons and stopped in at my local pro shop to see what they had. Being NZ we're a bit behind the times but I did hit some nice irons, Mizuno, TM, Wilson, Callaway etc and was getting expected distances from all the brands.
Just as I was about to leave I noticed some cool looking shafts in the Callaway bag. I took one out and asked the guy in the shop if I could put a Callaway iron head on it. He was too busy but told me I could do it myself if I wanted, so I installed an Apex Pro 6i head.
I took a few swings and was impressed to say the least. The assistant turned the Flightscope on and this is where things got really interesting! First shot, absolutely smashed and went a mile, every shot thereafter was the same.
We reviewed the results and with the new shaft I had gained nearly 8mph clubhead speed (from 93/94mph to over 102mph!) and was carrying the ball nearly 14 yards further than any other 6i I had hit. Needless to say my next set of irons will have the UST RECOIL shafts fitted!!!
The pictures below speak for themselves. The weird thing is clubhead speed is measured in mph, yet the performance is measured in metres and kph? I was now carrying it over 190 yards!

That's great mate. Im thinking I might need to try some graphite myself.

Honestly, do it! I'm more than happy with how far I hit the ball but this little endeavor has me wondering how much potential is being left untapped? They're super smooth and nothing like graphite used to be. I wouldn't have believed it had I not tried it for myself.

That is my next major golf purchase. They also reduce shock and make life easier for your wrists and shoulders.

I've injured my elbow at work which is partly why I was keen to try them and you're right, they definitely reduce vibration/shock. Now just a matter of deciding what irons to get?

The new graphite shafts are really good, and as others have mentioned, easy on the joints and back.

Agree completely on the reduced wear and tear on body - have been playing graphite for years and have never had a stinger with them.

Graphite has come a long way. I just bought new irons last week and the numbers were good with graphite, but I didn't want to spend the extra $$$. I'll change at some point as I get older.

Graphite has come a long way. I just bought new irons last week and the numbers were good with graphite, but I didn't want to spend the extra $$$. I'll change at some point as I get older.

This is why I am holding off for a season or two for new irons. . .gonna go with graphite to celebrate being able to play, age wise, on the senior tour.

I love the graphite shafts in my clubs. Dispersion is better, longer distance, and absolutely no issues with my arthritis.

My next set will most likely have graphite as well. Mainly for the wear and tear aspect. Unless I can find a steal on something for my current gamers (unlikely).

My next set will most likely have graphite as well. Mainly for the wear and tear aspect. Unless I can find a steal on something for my current gamers (unlikely).

This. I didn't switch to graphite for the gain in distance but the amount of stress on my body I have lowered is staggering.

Do Graphite shafts built 5 years ago have the same benefits for my body as the latest and greatest of 2015.?
I would like to try a set but I just can't spend the cabbage for a new set right now.

Do Graphite shafts built 5 years ago have the same benefits for my body as the latest and greatest of 2015.?
I would like to try a set but I just can't spend the cabbage for a new set right now.

Benefits for your body? Sure they do.

Fwiw, you can find pulls of current shafts every now and then for a good price.

I have a buddy who has switched to graphite so I did give them an honest try and actually played a couple rounds with his before I bought my irons a few months ago. When I went through my fitting the Recoil's only gave me 2 more yards of carry over the KBS Tour V110's. For me the Tour V's felt better and had a better trajectory that was easier to control. The Recoil's would have added 50% or $400 to the expense of my irons. The added expense is the real reason a lot of golfers won't switch to graphite.

Thanks I will start looking for a used set.

Long, straighter, more consistent, less pain.

Only downside: Lighter wallet. (Makes for faster hip rotation, right?) :act-up:

Back