Regular or stiff flex. Numbers are skewed

thegap77

Reaction score
Handicap
I just Purchased mizunos Jpx850's. I put the kbstour90's in them
I was playing some taylormades with 85g regular flex. My 6 iron was at 83-85mph swing speed about 165 carry
My 7 iron was at 18-20 launch angle 5000 rpm. with about a 155 carry
My driver at a regular shaft was at around 100-105mph.

I purchased an entire set of irons and reshafted my clubs to stiff as the

PGA store people told me I was in between but that I would grow into stiff.
Since going to stiff. I am hitting shorter. My driver is slicing more.
My 7 iron launches at 15 degrees with about 5-6000 rpms
My driver at about 13-14 launch angle
Will it take time, was regular a better fit for me.?
I have 30 days to return the new irons so I just want to make sure.
15 degree launch for a 7 iron seems low to me. And its carrying 140. I know taylormades are always longer but 15 yards is a lot

First, welcome to THP. I'm going to let more knowledgeable people address your questions.

Were you seeing good numbers when you tested the Mizunos?

Were you seeing good numbers when you tested the Mizunos?
I tested the 6 iron. I was hitting 160 yards and they felt good. I was in between the XR's, AP1's and the jpx 850's.
I tested for about a week and all the clubs started to feel the same on a good hit. I was told I WAS IN BETWEEN FLEXES but to stick to stiff.
I know there will be an adjustment period but I don't feel confident on how the PGA store does their fitting, it was rather quick and handed a few different ones and given the mizuno optimizer and went from there.
I was recommended the xp115 shaft but i felt it was too heavy since I was coming from a R 85g rocketbladez shaft on my rocketbladez. I asked if I could do a weight in between so they said I could do something in between which was the KBS our 90's at 102 grams.

Im really new to golf so I really was listening to the store guys.

To be honest there is very little "fitting" done at most big box stores. I am hoping you were able to try the clubs you bought with the shafts you ended up with. Those are some very nice irons a little demanding for someone that is newer to golf but if you were striking them well then not out of the realm of playability. In the end if your are not happy I would take advantage of whatever the return policy and spend a little more time finding that set that fits you best.

To be honest there is very little "fitting" done at most big box stores. I am hoping you were able to try the clubs you bought with the shafts you ended up with. Those are some very nice irons a little demanding for someone that is newer to golf but if you were striking them well then not out of the realm of playability. In the end if your are not happy I would take advantage of whatever the return policy and spend a little more time finding that set that fits you best.

Sorry well at the time I created my account 3 years ago I was a 36 handicap. I am now at 12.5 which is why I decided to stop using my learners eBay set which I loved, but I thought maybe with new irons and a fitting I'd get over the hump.

Most people hate hearing this, but if you are slicing your driver more, its more likely a swing thing and not a shaft problem.

As for the irons, KBS Tour 90 play slightly weaker to flex as they get lighter. Not a full flex mind you, but slightly weaker. There is no industry standard when it comes to shaft flex. Being in between flexes, I'd go with the softest flex you feel you can control. I'm also not a big fan of the theory that people will grow in to a flex or even an iron type.

If you have 30 days, I'd keep trying them to see if it gets figured out. But if you get close to that 30 days and you aren't comfortable, bring them back.

Most people hate hearing this, but if you are slicing your driver more, its more likely a swing thing and not a shaft problem.

As for the irons, KBS Tour 90 play slightly weaker to flex as they get lighter. Not a full flex mind you, but slightly weaker. There is no industry standard when it comes to shaft flex. Being in between flexes, I'd go with the softest flex you feel you can control. I'm also not a big fan of the theory that people will grow in to a flex or even an iron type.

If you have 30 days, I'd keep trying them to see if it gets figured out. But if you get close to that 30 days and you aren't comfortable, bring them back.

Actually, IM REALLY hoping its a swing flaw I picked up. I can fix that. :D
I can't fix over $700 not well spent. I had to buy from the store as that was the amount of a gift card I received, but still I really want to like my clubs.
I asked if I should soft step my stiff flex and they said no. That it didn't seem like I had trouble getting the ball out there.

Actually, IM REALLY hoping its a swing flaw I picked up. I can fix that. :D
I can't fix over $700 not well spent. I had to buy from the store as that was the amount of a gift card I received, but still I really want to like my clubs.
I asked if I should soft step my stiff flex and they said no. That it didn't seem like I had trouble getting the ball out there.
How much longer do you have before you have to decide?

How much longer do you have before you have to decide?
I just got them today. I have 30 days for most of the refund. I think theres a restocking fee.
I planned on getting fitted with trackman tomorrow to verify and see if the new clubs can work for my swing. It costs $100/ hour. Which yes can be worth it. I was just hoping not to spend that if it wasn't needed

great post right here on all accounts. I can't add anything else to it.

Such a good answer here by Deano. Well stated, sir.

Really have to agree here. Go with the softest flex you can game confidently. I made the mistake of trying to "grow" into a stiffer flex but it just gave me swing faults be trying to go after each swing.

Hope the 30 days shed some light on the purchase - you have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal here. Welcome!

I tested the 6 iron. I was hitting 160 yards and they felt good. I was in between the XR's, AP1's and the jpx 850's.
I tested for about a week and all the clubs started to feel the same on a good hit. I was told I WAS IN BETWEEN FLEXES but to stick to stiff.
I know there will be an adjustment period but I don't feel confident on how the PGA store does their fitting, it was rather quick and handed a few different ones and given the mizuno optimizer and went from there.
I was recommended the xp115 shaft but i felt it was too heavy since I was coming from a R 85g rocketbladez shaft on my rocketbladez. I asked if I could do a weight in between so they said I could do something in between which was the KBS our 90's at 102 grams.

Im really new to golf so I really was listening to the store guys.

I did something similar a year ago. I had a set of RBZ that I bought off eBay. After some lessons to get me started and feeling like I was ready to take the next step, I was fitted for a new set of the Mizuno JPX-850 cast irons. I'm pretty happy with them but I was fitted into a regular shaft. The reason I was fitted into that was because I tend to release early in my swing so the extra weight helps slow that release down. I'm not a long hitter by any means and I'm quite happy with the heavier shaft. It also helps me with accuracy and dispersion so I tend to be more consistent with my irons assuming I make solid contact.

It probably depends on what you are doing to "grow" into a stiff shaft. A swing won't change overnight. If you are looking to get new irons a couple of years down the road, maybe you'll be ready then but when I was fit, I was fit for what my swing was that day. Not for what it might be down the road.

I did something similar a year ago. I had a set of RBZ that I bought off eBay. After some lessons to get me started and feeling like I was ready to take the next step, I was fitted for a new set of the Mizuno JPX-850 cast irons. I'm pretty happy with them but I was fitted into a regular shaft. The reason I was fitted into that was because I tend to release early in my swing so the extra weight helps slow that release down. I'm not a long hitter by any means and I'm quite happy with the heavier shaft. It also helps me with accuracy and dispersion so I tend to be more consistent with my irons assuming I make solid contact.

It probably depends on what you are doing to "grow" into a stiff shaft. A swing won't change overnight. If you are looking to get new irons a couple of years down the road, maybe you'll be ready then but when I was fit, I was fit for what my swing was that day. Not for what it might be down the road.

Yeah I guess everyone just does it differently. I thought fittings were for my swing now but since I was in between they suggested I just move up the flex.
I am very active and plan on getting more muscle. Just not sure if that will really factor into my swing

Reading through this made me wonder about the players age. I'm old enough that my swing is getting slower every year. Can see where a young player could grow into stiff shafts and may not be able to afford to upgrade in a few months or a year. In that case the seller could be on target, noticed the player was using a gift card.

I just Purchased mizunos Jpx850's. I put the kbstour90's in them
I was playing some taylormades with 85g regular flex. My 6 iron was at 83-85mph swing speed about 165 carry
My 7 iron was at 18-20 launch angle 5000 rpm. with about a 155 carry
My driver at a regular shaft was at around 100-105mph.

I purchased an entire set of irons and reshafted my clubs to stiff as the

PGA store people told me I was in between but that I would grow into stiff.
Since going to stiff. I am hitting shorter. My driver is slicing more.
My 7 iron launches at 15 degrees with about 5-6000 rpms
My driver at about 13-14 launch angle
Will it take time, was regular a better fit for me.?
I have 30 days to return the new irons so I just want to make sure.
15 degree launch for a 7 iron seems low to me. And its carrying 140. I know taylormades are always longer but 15 yards is a lot

You might check the weight difference between the two shafts and flex can be more of a feel that the golfer likes or is accustomed to. If you are more of a swinger vs a hitter of the golf ball a lighter flex usually works. It is important to consider what feels "right" to you. I do think you can adjust to a different weight or flex or both but it will take time.

Reading through this made me wonder about the players age. I'm old enough that my swing is getting slower every year. Can see where a young player could grow into stiff shafts and may not be able to afford to upgrade in a few months or a year. In that case the seller could be on target, noticed the player was using a gift card.

Im 29.

You might check the weight difference between the two shafts and flex can be more of a feel that the golfer likes or is accustomed to. If you are more of a swinger vs a hitter of the golf ball a lighter flex usually works. It is important to consider what feels "right" to you. I do think you can adjust to a different weight or flex or both but it will take time.

At first I was recommended an 115 gram shaft with a soft stept. I was coming from 85g and never felt comfortable. I rarely hit a shot i really liked during the fitting. At 100 grams is where I felt I could adjust quicker.

Im on Day 2 with the clubs and I have hit some better shots now. Ill keep trying them out.

Two years ago I went to get fitted for a set of Ping G25 irons. I'd been playing a year, and my HC had gone down from 40 to about 25. I was fit at a pro shop. The fitter put me in a +1/2" length R-shaft graphite. I didn't know much about fitting and stuff and wasn't that impressed with the clubs but thought I would grow into them. When I got them, they were about an inch and a half shorter than what I was gaming. That was the first thing I noticed. I had a set of Cobra Bafflers. I talked to my neighbor who told me to take them back because I'd never be able to hit them. Honestly, they felt hard and I wasn't getting the launch. I took them back and ended up with a different set.

I never hit a shot during the Ping fitting that I liked. I never hit a shot during the Ping fitting that felt comfortable. Why did I buy them? :wtf:

I've been playing piano for 55 years. When I go into a piano store to buy a new piano, I want the instrument to be something I can sit down and play. I want it to be the "easy button". I don't want to have to spend a month getting used to it. It's either a good fit for me or it isn't. I don't care what the salesman says about how well its been manufactured. It has to have a certain tone and a certain touch and responsiveness. If it lacks them I'll move on.

So I'll ask you this question: do you like the Mizunos? Or are you trying to convince yourself to like them? Perhaps it is just this set of Mizunos? What is it about them? The feel? If you don't like them I'd stop messing around with them and take them back before one of them gets scratched up too much. You'll pay a restocking fee.

Expect the PGA Store to act all pissy about it too. Stores usually do about restocks. Don't expect much help about a refit. Just go somewhere else for a fitting and get something you like. You learned a lesson about fitting.

Perhaps you prefer the R-shaft. There's nothing wrong with playing a lighter shaft. Sounds like you had a graphite shaft, in your Rocketbladez since you mention 85g. Going to steel is quite a change. If graphite was working for you, go back to it.

Did they not go through the Mizuno shaft fitting tool with you? I got fitted for mine a couple of months ago, and in Europe the process is: http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/custom-fit/

You do 3 swings, it analyses 4 numbers each time, and gives you recommendations.

Yes they did use the mizunos optimizer and that's when I was recommended the 110 g shaft with a soft step or hard step.

I was playing 85g steel shafts.

effcb1282b4dd0747b17c48b1888938f.jpg

These are my numbers from yesterday after about 15 shots as I started to feel more comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back