The Google suggest contest

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I read this story and thought of none other than Harry, since he has brought this up numerous times.

http://www.slate.com/id/2234738/?gt1=38001

It's an awful lot of text and photos to copy here, but here is the winning suggest:

Spoiler
First Place:
091110_LH_isItWrongTo.jpg

vs.
091110_LH_isItEthicalTo.jpg

The winning entry, from Ted Bendixson, follows Google Suggest into the realm of moral inquiry. It doesn't neatly divide into "less intelligent" and "more intelligent," but it's the best example I received of how one word can make all the difference. Wrong involves love affairs, God, and younger men. Ethics puts us on the plane of animal research, privacy concerns, and cooking the books.

So the experiment ends where it began, with astonishment at the range of human experience that finds its way into the search box. We ask Google for directions to Burger King. We ask Google whether it's all right to sleep with our cousin. And Google answers, to the best of its collective knowledge, without smirking.

There is, however, at least one query that Google won't help you with: Type in "I hate," and no suggestions appear.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who entered. The most numerous entries were "Why is my poop green?" and "What are these strawberries doing on my nipples i need them for the fruit salad?"

Wrong involves younger men?? No way!

Back