Interesting Marketing Test

Really? You don't think that manipulating test parameters to unmeetable standards to create favorable results in less sorry than "dialing down lofts?" (I am not opening that box.)

I absolutely do not. They are comparing two like clubs. And the standards are meetable, as Deuce has outlined. The distance claims for the irons are not "like" clubs when the lengths and lofts are different.

Tour Edge is comparing Apples to Apples, at least.

I absolutely do not. They are comparing two like clubs. And the standards are meetable, as Deuce has outlined. The distance claims for the irons are not "like" clubs when the lengths and lofts are different.

Tour Edge is comparing Apples to Apples, at least.
They are? Tour Edge didn't use like lofts. Probably not like lengths. Did TE use like shafts?

I would like to see the robot hit all the clubs off the toe and see results. Even though I am an Internet golfer I don't hit it in center all the time :D

Tour Edge didn't use like lofts.
Damn Tour Edge, using other brands' 3 woods as they're sold in shops. How dare they!

Of course, of the ones they list ... ALL of them were tested at 15* save the Ping (plays a half degree lower) and the BB Alpha (plays a degree higher). So I must ask ... are we looking at the same ad?

Damn Tour Edge, using other brands 3 woods as they're sold in shops. How dare they!
A 16° Bertha is a 3wood?

So I asked a major launch monitor company about the stats given.
They said

Its a really good mix of clubs, and interestingly enough, they did not list whether this was tested as stock or if the clubs were altered. For this we'll assume stock off the rack and with the same flex. The reason carry distance is not included is that with the information contained, they would most likely not be the leader in that category by a pretty large margin. This can be replicated pretty easily if you need it done and there is a place near your office that does it.

Not sure why people are getting so defensive or argumentative. Just an interesting take on marketing is all.
For those talking about the other brands and their distance claims, aren't they usually against their own clubs? The ones I see for the most part are.

A 16° Bertha is a 3wood?

Yes and no. They sell it at 16* because the adjustability in loft offered. Surprised that the lab test did not do like lofts either, since according to some, loft is all that matters...I kid of course, because that debate is not only laughable, but tired. It is interesting that they did not drop the loft a degree, but I understand going with standard setup.

All but two of the clubs played at 15 degrees, you saw that right?

Im asking a genuine question here.
If I posted the same ad, but instead it was TaylorMade SLDR from last year and Tour Edge Exotics (along with most other drivers. SLDR at 9* and Tour Edge Exotics at 10.5 (and the rest were at 9* or a mix).

THe stats posted are exactly the same except swing speed is 125 mph and total distance shows SLDR 25 yards ahead of Exotics and no other category other than spin is shown, would you have the same thoughts? Or is this a brand thing? I ask this genuinely.

I would like to see the robot hit all the clubs off the toe and see results. Even though I am an Internet golfer I don't hit it in center all the time :D

I thought you did when I played with you. Maybe I was wrong. :wink:

Im asking a genuine question here.
If I posted the same ad, but instead it was TaylorMade SLDR from last year and Tour Edge Exotics (along with most other drivers. SLDR at 9* and Tour Edge Exotics at 10.5 (and the rest were at 9* or a mix).

THe stats posted are exactly the same except swing speed is 125 mph and total distance shows SLDR 25 yards ahead of Exotics and no other category other than spin is shown, would you have the same thoughts? Or is this a brand thing? I ask this genuinely.

Most likely and here is why ... by doing the comparison like they did Tour Edge opens themselves up to reciprocal comparisons by those very same companies. They must feel strongly about their product to go the route they did and I like that. I'll game anything (just look at my club selection) even though I do like the underdog, so if TM, Callaway, Ping want to do this ... have at it.

If anything my responses are in response to the cries of "bad press" and "wrongful marketing". I don't think what TE did is anything of the sort.

Most likely and here is why ... by doing the comparison like they did Tour Edge opens themselves up to reciprocal comparisons by those very same companies. They must feel strongly about their product to go the route they did and I like that. I'll game anything (just look at my club selection) even though I do like the underdog, so if TM, Callaway, Ping want to do this ... have at it.

If anything my responses are in response to the cries of "bad press" and "wrongful marketing". I don't think what TE did is anything of the sort.
No I agree. It's good marketing. It just isn't a good test. Definitely not a full enough data field to indicate anything.

As I have said, I don't either. I dont understand not testing them at the same loft, since they are available, but its marketing after all. Same reason carry distance is not given, off center hits are not given and/or the test was not displayed at 95mph.

As I have said, I don't either. I dont understand not testing them at the same loft, since they are available, but its marketing after all. Same reason carry distance is not given, off center hits are not given and/or the test was not displayed at 95mph.

I think the main reason the test was not done at 95 mph (which would have been more useful to me) is because that is not their target market for this product.

I think the main reason the test was not done at 95 mph (which would have been more useful to me) is because that is not their target market for this product.

For a 3 wood? I beg to differ. That's like saying their target market is not the golfing public.

When someone complained about the Callaway "2 club longer" advertising, I said (and reiterate here) that this is where social media comes in handy. Not saying it's THPs job to police "truth in advertising", but we all can interact with TE, Callaway, TMaG, etc and inquire about why/how/what their advertising means (and what it doesn't).

I will be honest ... the first stat that knocks me out of consideration for this club is the most important one ... price. I think it looks pretty, but I won't spend that much on a 3 wood.

I think the main reason the test was not done at 95 mph (which would have been more useful to me) is because that is not their target market.
No way, if a company markets towards people with 110mph 3 wood swing speeds they will be gone pretty quickly.

For a 3 wood? I beg to differ. That's like saying their target market is not the golfing public.

For this particular 3-wood which obviously (from this test) works very well for a golfer with a higher swing speed otherwise I think they would have tested it at 95 mph swing speed. Tour Edge does have several other 3-woods on the market. I assume all are targeted to different type golfers, if not why offer them.

It's an interesting argument though. It is one of many in their lineup, and I assume based on the stock shaft and the profile geared more towards the 'player' level in comparison to their other offerings.

Great if you're targeting a tiny percent of the market....... yet terrible if you're trying to target a tiny percent of the market.

For this particular 3-wood which obviously (from this test) works very well for a golfer with a higher swing speed otherwise I think they would have tested it at 95 mph swing speed. Tour Edge does have several other 3-woods on the market. I assume all are targeted to different type golfers, if not why offer them.

95 mph 3 wood is a higher swing speed player.
110 mph swing speed for a 3 wood is virtually non-existent as far as the consumer.

It's an interesting argument though. It is one of many in their lineup, and I assume based on the stock shaft and the profile geared more towards the 'player' level in comparison to their other offerings.

Great if you're targeting a tiny percent of the market....... yet terrible if you're trying to target a tiny percent of the market.

That argument goes out the window as soon as they offer different shaft flexes right? I mean they offer this club in a regular flex.

95 mph 3 wood is a higher swing speed player.
110 mph swing speed for a 3 wood is virtually non-existent as far as the consumer.

Not if hitting from the tee box as some, especially with the 110 swing speed surely do. It's amazing, to me when I watch a professional tournament how often they hit 3-wood from the tee box. I would also think with a 110 swing speed driver would be taken out of the golfers hand on most courses on several holes.

Not if hitting from the tee box as some, especially with the 110 swing speed surely do. It's amazing, to me when I watch a professional tournament how often the hit 3-wood from the tee box. I would also think with a 110 swing speed driver would be taken out of the golfers hand on most courses.

A 110 swing speed driver and 110 swing speed 3 wood is quite different. Clearly we are playing in different places if you are seeing regular golfers with a 110 mph 3 wood swing. Most on the PGA Tour are not at that level.

Ill be honest here and say it's not debatable.

That argument goes out the window as soon as they offer different shaft flexes right? I mean they offer this club in a regular flex.

Better be the best looking 110 I've ever seen if they are gaming it in reg hahahaha

Back