tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Assume you are playing an alternate shot format event. Your partner hits a shot. Upon reaching the ball you determine / declare an unplayable lie and drop the ball appropriately. Does the drop count as your shot? Who hits next?

Assume you are playing an alternate shot format event. Your partner hits a shot. Upon reaching the ball you determine / declare an unplayable lie and drop the ball appropriately. Does the drop count as your shot? Who hits next?

You count the drop, but the other player still hits the next shot.

Are there official rules for alternate shot?

Are there official rules for alternate shot?

Yes. It is governed by USGA rules for either strokeplay / medalplay) or matchplay.

Think Ryder Cup.

Apparently, there are USGA rules for alternate shot. I wish somebody posted about them. :alien:

Apparently, there are USGA rules for alternate shot. I wish somebody posted about them. :alien:

I'm not sure just what you're asking, but what is commonly called "alternate shot" is foursomes in the rules. See Rule 29 - it's very short. Read the rule and the decisions - there are only about 25 decisions on this rule. It takes about 5 minutes to read the whole thing.

I have a rules question also (maybe a good idea to have a stickie with 'Rules Questions'???):

I hit a really bad shot out of a fairway sand trap.

It ended up a foot off the fence, and under a bush.

I played it out anyways, but this am I was thinking I wonder if I could have:
1) taken a club length relief
2) if in the process of taking a club lengths relief, I could have moved the ball out of the bushes (if I moved the ball backwards 1 club length, it would no longer have been in the bushes)

I have a rules question also (maybe a good idea to have a stickie with 'Rules Questions'???):

2) if in the process of taking a club lengths relief, I could have moved the ball out of the bushes (if I moved the ball backwards 1 club length, it would no longer have been in the bushes)

off the top of my head I would think that if the fence was keeping you from swinging, you could have taken relief from it. Use the rules to your advantage. They are there to help.

Sounds like a standard unplayable lie situation???
1. go back to where you last played,
2. while keeping the current ball position between it and the hole, drop a ball on that line as far back as you want;
3. drop two club lengths, no closer to the hole from where the ball lay.

There's three questions which need to be answered:

1) Are you entitled to relief from the fence? If the fence is a boundary fence (i.e. the other side of it is out-of-bounds), then it is not an immovable obstruction and there is no free relief. You may choose to take an unplayable and get 2-club-lengths of relief, but at the cost of a stroke.

2) Assuming the fence is not a boundary fence, does the fence interfere with your stance, lie or area of intended swing?

3) Is it reasonable that you could make a stroke at the ball given its position in the bush? If there is absolutely no way you could make a stroke at the ball, then you would not get relief even if the fence interfered with your suggested, but impossible stroke.

If the answer to #2 is yes, and the answer to #3 is yes, then you would get relief from the immovable obstruction. However, you would have to find your "nearest point of relief" not the "nicest point of relief." The nearest point of relief might be outside the bush, or farther in the bush. You have to determine what is the closest point which avoids interference from the fence.

You should always determine your nearest point of relief BEFORE picking up your ball. If you pick up your ball and later decide you don't like where the nearest point of relief is, you will have cost yourself a penalty stroke for not taking relief.

Note that knowing the rules can really help you.

Let's say for instance that a right-handed stroke is impossible out of the bush, but if you turn around left-handed, it's reasonable you could make a stroke at the ball. If the non-boundary fence interferes with that stroke, you can get relief. Doesn't matter how well you'd be able to execute the shot, just that it's reasonable for you to do so. Once you've taken relief, you can turn around right-handed and play the shot, or if the fence interferes with your right-handed stroke, you can get further relief. Knowing the rules can pay off!

Last edited:
off the top of my head I would think that if the fence was keeping you from swinging, you could have taken relief from it. Use the rules to your advantage. They are there to help.
As long as the fence wasn't defining out of bounds. If it defines out of bounds, it is not an obstruction, and no you get no relief from it.

As long as the fence wasn't defining out of bounds. If it defines out of bounds, it is not an obstruction, and no you get no relief from it.

correct. Should have added that.

Back