Bout to buy new set - AP2 714s or S55 or JPX850Forged or Apex Pro - Need quick advice

JKinney1

Reaction score
Handicap
I know giving 4 options is asking a lot but I've hit Titleist 670s since 2005 and don't play as much as I used to and I'm looking to get something a little more user friendly.

Of the 4 (AP2 714s, S55s, JPX850Fs, & Apex Pros) please give me a quick reason why you love em or hate em. Not looking for crazy reviews but appreciate the number one thing you like about whichever one you have.

Thank you from a new member!

The 850 forged is sort of an outlier from that set - it's a little more on the forgiving side than the rest of them. If you're looking for user friendly, that might be the place to look out of that set. They're all solid iron sets.

The 850 forged is sort of an outlier from that set - it's a little more on the forgiving side than the rest of them. If you're looking for user friendly, that might be the place to look out of that set. They're all solid iron sets.

Agreed. 850F are going to be the most forgiving of the three you listed

If you are looking for more user friendly out of those it's going to be the 850 forged in my experience followed by the AP2's. I wouldn't really say the S55's or Apex Pros are very user friendly at all per say. Although the regular Apex's might be something to look at too

Another vote or the 850 Forged from that list. If you want to throw one more similar set in for consideration, the Srixon Z545 will yield more forgiveness than all listed.

3 of those four sets have got some incredibly in depth reviews on the homepage FWIW.

Ap2, Pros, and S55 are all about the same on terms of footprint and demand, which while packing some ball speed retention in there, is still a bit demanding. The 850f will have better retention on misses and a slightly larger profile.

I say all that having gamed and reviewed 3 of the 4 sets, but ymmv for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Going from the Titleist 670's with a 6.5 Rifle I'm confident the S55s, Apex Pros, and AP2s won't be too much to handle. Compared to my titleist 670s are those 3 sets definitely on the same platform as far as size and about the same forgiving? Based on what I have read I was thinking those 3 would be a step up with forgiveness compared to my blades.

As far as the 850F -- what kind of distance decrease should I expect?

I plan on hitting probably all 4 of these before I swipe a debit card but appreciate your feedback --

Thanks guys!

Going from the Titleist 670's with a 6.5 Rifle I'm confident the S55s, Apex Pros, and AP2s won't be too much to handle. Compared to my titleist 670s are those 3 sets definitely on the same platform as far as size and about the same forgiving? Based on what I have read I was thinking those 3 would be a step up with forgiveness compared to my blades.

As far as the 850F -- what kind of distance decrease should I expect?

I plan on hitting probably all 4 of these before I swipe a debit card but appreciate your feedback --
You likely won't see a decrease, they were longer than the other three sets for me by about half a club. The boron marketing they used was lame, but there's something to it in the clubs, plus the massive undercut in them helps them shine.

Coming from what you are though, I would look hard at the Apex Pros followed by the 850f. Jmo of course.

I love my S55's, but I think it's a club you have to play rounds with. It's forgiving.... but from what I've experienced with the JPX850's...I'd go with them instead. Very forgiving and great looking.

I absolutely love my 850F's. When I did my fitting last August (first week they were out), they weren't even on my radar screen. I "blind" hit a bunch of clubs (intentionally not seeing what they were) and they were smooth, forgiving and a good club longer than anything else I hit. The face is quite lively for a forged iron and I don't think there's a sacrifice in distance with them.

I actually went from 690's to 714 AP2's. Absolutely love the AP2's I actually tried the others you listed and it was between the callys and the AP2's. Ended up getting the AP2's due to the consistency and feel of mishits. You cans till tell when/where you miss but has a consistent forgiveness you can plan for...

Thanks guys! Great feedback and definitely helps! I'm going to hit the 850Fs, Apex Pros, and S55s this week. I've hit my buddies AP2s many times and have a good idea on those. Nice clubs but I'm really into the look of the 3 previously mentioned and other feedback.

Just a thought but if you have the option to try it Bridgestone J15DF would fall in that realm and is a solid club all the way around

S55s are, IMO, the best feeling of the four. Slightly more penal on mishits than the others, however. The AP2s are the most consistent. I never had a shot, good or bad, where I wondered "where the heck did that come from?"

The Apex Pros are nice, hit the ball far, but in my limited experience, seem to have hot spots. For example, I found myself having this progression with an 8-iron: 152, 153, 151, 165, 151 etc. I know this is user error but it was more prevalent with the Apex Pros than the others.

I have only hit the 850Fs a few times and was not that impressed. If I were going with a Mizuno iron, I would personally choose the MP-H5 or the MP-54s. I've also heard that the MP-15s are nice.

I've never understood the hot-spot argument, the 2.0's had them, yes, but in the tons and tons of iron sets I have played/reviewed those are the only ones I have ever seen it in.

I'll be honest that it confuses me more with the Apex Pro since they are not a hollow body or massive undercut design.

I've never understood the hot-spot argument, the 2.0's had them, yes, but in the tons and tons of iron sets I have played/reviewed those are the only ones I have ever seen it in.

I'll be honest that it confuses me more with the Apex Pro since they are not a hollow body or massive undercut design.

Are you saying that the Apex Pros have "hot spots" (which is weird), or that you find it weird that people think there are hot spots with the Apex Pros? I admit it would be nice if it wasn't user error and others noticed this too...

Are you saying that the Apex Pros have "hot spots" (which is weird), or that you find it weird that people think there are hot spots with the Apex Pros? I admit it would be nice if it wasn't user error and others noticed this too...

I was referring to the thought of the Apex Pro's having hot spots as being strange to me. I don't think any irons out right now have hot spots. The burner 2.0's were the only set I have ever seen them with.

What I think happens, is people find the dead center of the sweetspot from time to time and see a jump in distance, this gets confused as a jumper.

Its not a knock on any of us, its just the nature of having an amateur swing where it comes to consistency.

Great info -- Appreciate all perspectives. Hearing from experience brings out great info -

S55 get my vote, I found the Apex Pro's to perform almost identical but thought the 55's were a little more muted.

S55's are sweet feeling, relatively forgiving clubs. Plus they look great

I got ap2 and apex pros in a recent fitting it's in a post about players cavity irons! For me the ap2 is slightly more forgiving and the apex is slightly longer!

I don't like ping irons so can not comment on those

I had mizuno mp53 but have also hit 850 forged! Like others have said these will be the most forgiving if your set!

Have you thought about adams XTD forged?? I played my first 18 today after being fit' look great at address feel fantastic and they are without a doubt the most forgiving players cavity I have ever hit!

Was not even on my radar until the fitter brought then out!

Just my 2 pennies

So I ended up choosing the Ping S55s. I had narrowed it down to 850 Forged and AP2s and then at the last minute I decided to hit the S55s. I have never been a Ping guy but honestly I've never hit more consistent shots. I hit probably 25 to 30 balls with each and hands down the Pings responded the best to me and my swing. It was hard to feel an off center shot and when I did hit one off center the yardage and overall shot stayed very consistent. The S55s are very attractive at address and was more of what I was looking for. I honestly couldn't believe that I couldn't convince myself to go with the AP2s since I've been a titleist guy for a long time!!! Don't get me wrong the other 2 irons were awesome but for some reason I was just better with the S55s shot wise and that's what counts. I think the Mizunos look the best in a bag and the AP2s are probably the most popular choice overall with all aspects (looks in a bag, look at address, name, performance, etc) but overall I couldn't believe how well I hit the S55s. I know one thing is certain I gained a lot of confidence with the S55s and feel like I can hit any shot on the course now. That alone will probably help my scores! haha!

Thanks for all the feedback - definitely helped with some concerns and questions I had!

Great choice. Your going to love them. I wasn't a Ping guy either but love these clubs.

As most have said, the 850 will be most forgiving. But don't sleep on the s55, super clean look, great top line and feel, durability and best feeling cast club I have ever tried. As you can tell, big fan of the s55.

Honestly, the S55 would have been my guess for you. They are surprisingly forgiving for a players iron and even feel good on mis hits. I don't think they are as demanding as most people expect them to be. I hit the JPX 850F and actually thought they felt a little dead compared to some of the MP lines. Best of luck with the S55!

Back