Trying To Break 90 Club

Anything special on that one? Wind, down hill? I only ask because I hit 240-250 with rollout, 260 when I manage to get a little draw on it and it would be nice to know 300 is in me somewhere. I think I have got there before, but I had no way to truly measure it back then.[/COLOR]

Two things - I had my old draw shape on the ball and I landed it at the top of the descending valley so I got a major bounce and roll. The top of the hill was about 280 from the tee box that day so I got a good 50+ yards after the initial impact. It was awesome!

Scored a 46/43 - 89 at Gateway National today. No birdies but a number of pars, but I still had a couple of 7s.

Also I blew up on 18 because the jack wad in front of me spent 8 minutes looking for a ball and then drove back to the tips to hit another one because "he's playing for big money." We got into it a little bit because I was waiting on them all day (but it didn't bother me until this happened). I asked him why he didn't take a drop 2 lengths from where it entered the tall grass plus the penalty and and move on (standard practice at the course to keep pace of play going). He said that "they don't do that in tournaments" which set me off because this was no freaking tournament. I asked him why he didn't hit a provisional if he thought he hit it into the tall stuff so that he wouldn't have to return to the tees. He kept coming back with "I didn't think I lost it" which I replied "that is why you hit a provisional in the event you did lose it and so you don't hold up everyone behind you." He called me "WTF mr professional" and said I was the one with the poor golf etiquette.

In reality it wouldn't have bothered me except this 3-some didn't fix divots, drove up next to the green, constantly ignored the signs pointing to the cart path and raked bunkers half a$$ed - basically doing everything that disrespectful golfers do.

Also I blew up on 18 because the jack wad in front of me spent 8 minutes looking for a ball and then drove back to the tips to hit another one because "he's playing for big money."

What a turd. I'd be pissed too. Too many people on the golf course these days have ZERO consideration for anyone but themselves. But then again, look at our society...but I digress. Congrats on your 89!

Since my last round I've switched drivers, and after my range session with it, it's straight and slightly longer than my previous. I have a really good feeling about my next time out. Last time I had one blowup 8 followed by a 6 on a par 3, so avoiding those disasters, I should break 90 for the first time this year. Last time out was a 92.

Shot a personal best 86 Tuesday. I had 3 birdies, 1 chipped in from about 10 feet off the green, 1 was a sinked putt, and the other was a 50 yd bump and run from under a tree. I guess I was due some good shots. Only had 1 triple, but quite a few doubles.

Ndfan301 - Maybe we can play a round sometime

Tied my PR with an 86 yesterday. Putting has been the name of the game. 31 putts yesterday. I missed more than a few birdie and par putts from inside 15 feet leaving tap-ins. If I can convert a few more breaking 80 isn't all that far away.

Just wanted to post up and join the thread! Breaking 90 is definitely my goal this year. I'm just getting back into the sport after a 4 year hiatus. Before that I played casually (maybe 1-2 a month) for a couple of years.

I've broke 90 maybe once or twice before, but not legitimately... it was by using the "1 mulligan per 9 holes" rule. ;)

Closest I've come this year is a 93 with only 1 birdie and 3 pars, but also only 1 3-putt. I'll be checking the thread often - can't wait to post up with my first legit 89!!

Broke 90 for the first time this year with an 86 last night, was so confident off the tee which has been such a struggle for me the past 2 years. Hopefully this is just the beginning and I can get back to breaking 90 a few more times like I was in 2012.

After taking some time off I had a good little run in my 9-hole league. The kind that lets you know you have good enough golf in you to shoot in the 80s. This weekend going to be focusing on keeping the ball in front of me and trying to limit blow up holes. A couple of dumb mistakes and a bad drive cost me some major strokes this week. Driver's coming around though and as long as I get enough time to warm up, I think my hook miss will be manageable. Gonna try to sneak in some chipping & putting practice tonight as I was ok, but that's an easy place to pick up strokes for me. Especially on the longer par 4s.

Just wanted to post up and join the thread! Breaking 90 is definitely my goal this year. I'm just getting back into the sport after a 4 year hiatus. Before that I played casually (maybe 1-2 a month) for a couple of years.

I've broke 90 maybe once or twice before, but not legitimately... it was by using the "1 mulligan per 9 holes" rule. ;)

Closest I've come this year is a 93 with only 1 birdie and 3 pars, but also only 1 3-putt. I'll be checking the thread often - can't wait to post up with my first legit 89!!

Good luck brother, I'm in a similar boat. Played 2-3 times a year past 5 years but I'm on pace for 15 or so rounds this year. I've been consistently mid-90's this year and can't put it together just yet, but I know its in there.

Blow-up holes on par 4s and some par 5s are killing me. Good news is I'm steadily hitting more greens. Next focus is short game chipping and pitching. Driving accuracy is good (averaging 60% FWs). Putting is strength of my game, I'm a good lag putter and hole my share of putts within 10 feet.

Scored a 46/43 - 89 at Gateway National today. No birdies but a number of pars, but I still had a couple of 7s.

Nice job! Keep it up!

Good luck brother, I'm in a similar boat. Played 2-3 times a year past 5 years but I'm on pace for 15 or so rounds this year. I've been consistently mid-90's this year and can't put it together just yet, but I know its in there.

Blow-up holes on par 4s and some par 5s are killing me. Good news is I'm steadily hitting more greens. Next focus is short game chipping and pitching. Driving accuracy is good (averaging 60% FWs). Putting is strength of my game, I'm a good lag putter and hole my share of putts within 10 feet.

This is me. I'd be lucky to hit even one GIR before this year. Now it's getting closer to 6-9 for a round (with lots of "near GIR's too). I finally feel like I have confidence to put a ball on the green from 100+ yards out - never felt this way before, so I'm excited to see how it goes from here on!

One thing I intend to work on at the range to improve GIR is focusing on full swing with 6i through 9i. On the courses I play, I rarely find myself within 110 yards of the green and a chance to take a full swing with a PW/ AW. This is because the closer to you get to the green, the fairway narrows or risks increase. I try to play more to the 150 yard marker, which is usually where the biggest landing spots are. So, I've noticed I am usually hitting 140-160 into greens which is typically an 8, 7, or sometimes easy 6 iron. I don't hit these clubs as solidly as I do my PW full shot anyway, yet they're a big factor in my scoring opportunities.

So instead of starting the range with my PW and working down through my 4i and Woods, I intend to break practice into 3 chunks: 33% on tee shot clubs (Driver and 3h), 33% on middle irons, and 33% on chipping/pitching with wedges at the practice greens. I think this will prepare me more efficiently for the shots I face on the course the most. Just food for thought.

Best round for the year is 85 (83 after esq) on par 72. I have only played about 8 rounds this year due to school work killing me. I have several rounds that could've/should've been sub 90 if it was for a blow up hole or two. Swing was way off those days. A couple days putting got me. Burnt a lot of edges. Hopefully can keep those days to a minimum and keep scores sub 90 rest of the year

Finally broke through the barrier today with a personal best 88 (46/42). If you'd asked me on the front if there was a chance I'd shoot sub-90 I would have punched you in the throat. My swing started to come around on the back, though. Nice momentum going into a round tomorrow and on the weekend.

Congrats.

Way to go fellas!

Finally broke through the barrier today with a personal best 88 (46/42). If you'd asked me on the front if there was a chance I'd shoot sub-90 I would have punched you in the throat. My swing started to come around on the back, though. Nice momentum going into a round tomorrow and on the weekend.

Way to go Orange Hog! Keep it up!

Talk about polar opposite rounds today - I played 36 holes at the same course.

Round 1 - 2:03 PM tee time. We tee off at 1:40 PM but are the first group behind a bachelor party of 18. Needless to say it was SLOW!!! 5 hour round and I sucked it up big time. I was hitting 3 from just about every tee box since I could not get into any sort of rhythm. The only positive is that I was playing with a couple of good guys, smoked 3 great cigars and drank 5 beers. Score - 60/57 - 117. It was the worst 18 holes I've played in 15 years.

Round 2 - I finished the first 18 and saw that the course was clear so I asked if it was okay to play another 18. Since he just reconciled his drawer, he let me play for free instead of the usual replay rate. I ended up getting this round done in record time - just under 1.5 hours. Score 47/44 - 91. While I didn't break 90, I shaved 26 strokes off the previous round and it felt like the best round of my life just because of the contradiction of the 1st round.

My handicap also dropped to an 18.4.

Trying To Break 90 Club

After 3 rounds over 100
An 84 on a par 70. Made 4-5 putts and a drive came out of OB off a tree.
Actually laid back on a short par 4 which I never do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a nightmare round yesterday on a course I've never played before and ended with a 105. This is my first time over 100 in 3-4 months.

First, it poured rain the night before and I had a very difficult time with distances because I was digging trenches. It checked several times to see if I was hitting behind the ball by using a reference point on the ground, but I wasn't. The divots started at the ball or after, but the ground was so soft that I was getting mud on my clubs just about every shot. My right hand feels like it has a boxers fracture right now from the beating.

The course was also tougher than I normally play with narrow fairways and a lot of water. This was horrible for me because my driver and I have had a falling out. I was at a point to where I was hitting 10 of 14 fairways with my previous driver (mostly from gaming a fade/slice with it). Since changing to my current driver I've wriggled and hit 5 out 14 this round. Of the remaining 9, 5 were right and 4 were left. So I can't even game a miss with this driver.

I had 4 penalties as well, 3 from water with the driver and 1 on an approach shot where I dug into mud. Which really stinks because I just took a drop from that point instead of walking up to the water for a short pitch shot. The second attempt resulted in this:

63A305A9-663A-47D8-803D-83CEA8EDEAAF_zpspgdraqcy.jpg

That was a long par 5 that I should have reached in 3, but ended with a 6 because of my penalty. I also had a dog leg left that was around 370 and turned left around 170. I can hit a draw fairly easily with my irons, and attempted a 6 iron right at the tree line on the left corner of the dog leg. I missed by a foot and hit a tree dropping me into the middle of some trees. I hit a follow up short swing with a 6 iron where I hit low branches and the back swing and down swing, but still kept it low and through the trees for an easy pitch onto the green. I also had several low punch shots from out of trees thanks to my driver that worked out great.

My short game was so-so, but is improving. My putting hasn't really changed, but I ended with 32 total putts despite a single 3 putt. I normally average around 34-36 per round, so my short game has improved a little resulting in easier putts.

Overall, given the course conditions I'm not too upset with my score. Even more so since it was a new course for me. I just know now that I can't play in wet conditions right now - not without coming up with an alternate swing or hitting longer irons softer to accomplish new distances and avoid digging ditches.

I also have to rectify the driver issue I'm having. I planned on buying a new driver anyway and to get back into a stiffer, heavier shaft like I had before my current one. So now I'm going to make the purchase Monday or Tuesday. It's not so much a lesson issue because I've take just about a lesson a week for the past 18 weeks or so. The last 4 focused on the driver. I can find a groove on the range and hit some decent drives, but no where near my potential and only when I really slow down which can also introduce new problems.

Shot 91 the other day in spite of hitting only one truly good iron shot. Couple of birdies but crashed and burned on any hole where I couldn't use the driver - averaged 4.5 on the par 3s... Still need to sort my grip out, but wedge and driver play was really good - if I could have coupled that with a decent iron game that would have easily been an 85. Ho hum.

Shot a 99 yesterday...so frustrating. Feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward. The cause is probably 99% between the ears.

Started off with a nice par, then went downhill. This time I can't blame one specific part of my game. I had some good shots, but blew up a couple holes, and just hit way more fat shots and topped shots than usual.

I told my buddy after the round that I felt like I either needed to go hit 300 balls at the range...or take a break for a couple weeks.

Didn't play but had a great practice session. First, went to a small soccer field and recorded my distances or each wedge for the Pelz 4:3 system. Very helpful to have a baseline for wedges under 100 yards.

Then went to range and focused on 6-8 irons and new driver. Working on making full turn, almost pausing at the top to ensure I get turned. Then clearing my hips forward. Had some nice straight shots finally.

Not sure about the new driver (x2 hot pro). May be a bit longer than my Burner but not as consistent yet. I had a shorter shaft in the Burner and it feels real easy to get something in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back