Playing golf in a team event, what does it mean to you?

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
This year, THP has really put the emphasis on team events, from @THPRegionalRivalry,#TheCup,#TheGauntlet,The Wilson event, and of course #TheGrandaddy, amongst others.

What would playing in a team event mean to you?
How is it a similar or differing feeling of your normal rounds you'd play?

Team events take it up a notch. The bond that is formed can be unique that you hope to carry on post event. It promotes camaraderie, sportsmanship, and drive. I truly do enjoy some team golf.

The difference between my normal golf is just that it's just normal.

Team events are special! You meet great people that you don't want to let down so the pressure and focus is that much higher. Disappointing myself is sad but not nearly as tough IMHO!

Ive been lucky to play in some amazing team events and its really shown me how great this game can be when shared with your brothers. I hope my team event experiences arent over

Team Golf for me is all about accountability. You're no longer accountable just to yourself, but to any number of teammates as well. If that doesn't motivate and focus you....

And the first official event of the year - THP Kickoff Classic! It means a lot to me to be playing in this event and I have an abundance of excitement and nerves going through me right now knowing that it is only 5 days away. The pre-event feeling, as compared to a normal round, is significantly different. This will be my first so I can only imagine the range of emotions that will be experienced this Saturday and Sunday.

I find that a team event brings a whole different set of strategies to a game. Like your playing, hopefully, to your partner's strengths, you also only take the risk reward shots after discussing with partner and so on. Normal golf your decisions only affect your score and no one else.

Team golf is fun. You have accountability to someone other than yourself and also have someone to feed off of during the round or have them feed off you. I like team golf and the dh age it brings to just playing golf.

Team golf is just fun. The pressure situations and the camaraderie between teammates is second to none. Some times when playing solo I don't think through the shots as much or talk it out with my partner, plus you don't have anyone else relying on you. I welcome the pressure and the bonds made from teammates are special.

Team golf brings together a closeness which is amazing . Everyone works their tail off to achieve the one goal,win from grinding ,picking up a fellow partner when their back is against the wall. The lastly building a growing friendship with these people as well is something that is unreal.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There is really nothing like it that I've experienced in this game. Playing golf with local THP peeps is great as well. Not really interested in playing solo anymore. The Team aspects can be so rewarding and the game takes on something new.

This year, THP has really put the emphasis on team events, from @THPRegionalRivalry,#TheCup,#TheGauntlet,The Wilson event, and of course #TheGrandaddy, amongst others.

What would playing in a team event mean to you?
How is it a similar or differing feeling of your normal rounds you'd play?

Being that you were ON the same team as me, it means a lot. Anything more than just a playing partner brings a new look and feel to the event. That bonding is a lot like a brotherhood in the right group. I think our Grandaddy team (and the others too) know that feeling more than most. When you are routing for others to do well, and they (you) are there to pick up others, it's a great feeling.

A few #THPRegionalRivalries coming up....
What does being on those teams mean to you?

Myself, I am accountable not only to myself, and my captain.... But also the team, and THP.
I don't intend to go to Boulder Creek and get a can of WhoopAss opened on me!

I plan on being a weapon for my captain!
A little competitive juices flowing lately, after quite honestly some discouraging times...
I'm fired up to get after it for #TeamMichigan!

I will let you know once I get a chance.

I love having someone to feed off or have them feed off me. Being accountable to another person or team makes me put in the additional work to not let them down.

Can't wait to rep THP and the DMV

Having played in a couple the meaning has changed as each new event approaches, the first (unofficial gauntlet) was about winning, new event, new people, nerves, and focus. the second (morgan cup) was about a bunch of things, worked harder than ever before, got to my lowest handicap, focused on my game and lost when it counted, focusing on my game should have been our game, lesson learned, took it way too serious as a player.

The regional rivalry is about fun, my game will be good (not its best) but my attitude will be much better and different this time out, good friends, good course and a fun event filled with laughter and banter is what I'm hoping for this time, it's THP, it's supposed to be fun.

The regional rivalry is about fun, my game will be good (not its best) but my attitude will be much better and different this time out, good friends, good course and a fun event filled with laughter and banter is what I'm hoping for this time, it's THP, it's supposed to be fun.

Love it! This is what it is all about.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's about the camaraderie and bonds forged in coming together with a
Common goal and seeing that goal achieved.

More on the line than just playing 18 holes by myself

It comes down to one better carry their weight and play to their handicap. I coached golf for a number of years and the only matches we lost were when one guy's round went south and then he didn't battle. He just figured, "Ah. We have the other four guys." Yeah, well, when some of the remaining four are doing the same thing, all of a sudden there isn't anyone fighting it out.

It's the same in team events here or anywhere. One has to battle and they MUST carry their weight.

You forgot the kickoff classic. Having played in a team format it was fun playing our match but also being invested in and rooting for my team mates. Very cool experience and hope I get to do it again soon!

I never played any type of team golf until I joined THP - and the events were the Bridgestone Invitationals. I really enjoyed the competition, I had great partners in all of the events, and I worked hard to be successful, although some events turned out better than others.

I am not sure what #TheGauntlet holds in store, but I know that I have more than one person who is counting on me to perform, to cheer on, to motivate, and to pick me up if I am down. I am really looking forward to the experience and I expect to bond with my teammates and my "opponents" during our time together.

To me, team golf is my favorite type of golf. I've been trying to get my golf league to play more of a team format, even if there's a best ball score in there on top of the other matches or something. There's just something about working together as partners in a golf match, and something about getting to know the rest of your teammates over the course of prep and the actual event in the THP events.

But in short - for me there's golf, then there's team golf, and then there's THP team golf.

Having played in a couple the meaning has changed as each new event approaches, the first (unofficial gauntlet) was about winning, new event, new people, nerves, and focus. the second (morgan cup) was about a bunch of things, worked harder than ever before, got to my lowest handicap, focused on my game and lost when it counted, focusing on my game should have been our game, lesson learned, took it way too serious as a player.

RegionalRivalry will be good times. As much as I'm working on my game to be ready for that and to play good golf for the season, the goal is to enjoy being on the course with everyone and soak on what is THP and the event.

For me a team event is a big drive to play to my handicap, When I'm playing alone, or with friends we don't typically compete, we just play golf. In the team events I want to do well, not just because there's something on the the line, but also because I don't want to let my team down. Team events drive me to try and to practice so that I can play to the best of my ability.

Also, team events are more fun.

I just make sure I'm ready to do my part. I give it my all and let the chips fall where they may. I KNOW if I do this, I'll be fine. I never hope because it means i'm not prepared.

Back