Driveable par 4's, reachable par 5's

BIGBALL

Reaction score
Handicap
One thing I think makes a golf course great is a drivable par 4 and some reachable par 5's. I'd like a driveable par on every course, ( and would moan & groan if there was one on each nine ) and 3 out of the 4 par 5's be reachable in 2. All this is assuming one is playing from the correct tees for their game. That said, there should be a risk reward component on every one. To me, it makes the game even more fun, makes one think, and is probably the closest most will ever come to "feeling" like a pga player! I'd really like a hole like that on 18!

How many par driveable par 4's and reachable par 5's would you like on a course?

I like reachable par 5s, driveable par 4s are neat, but I don't know that I want one on every course. I do like the ones that tempt you, and I agree you need to have risk reward. Wide open fairway to about 100 yards out then a pond, moat filled with rabid frogs or something to really bite you if you go for it and miss.

My course has 4 reachable par 5s, but that is assuming that you consider a perfect 5 wood "reachable". I am ok with no reachable 4s or 5s for me from the back two tees. If I wanted reachable, I will move up a tee box.

This question is sort of relative to a persons abilities, too. At the course I grew up on all but one of the Par 5's would be considered a par 4 at most courses. Then, I have three courses near where I live now that have a LOT of reachable par 4's from the whites. For me? I don't want any drivable par 4's, but I enjoy have a at least 1 or 2 par 5's that are risk reward type of reachable distances.

Well at my age I would be shocked if there any of either! But for the sake of my younger days I would say one of each per course! Preferably on the back nine!

This is all just IMO...

A driveable par 4, depending on length, can be gimmicky. I don't hate them, but there has to be a big risk/reward for it. I certainly don't think there should be one on every course either.

As for reachable par 5's...I think it needs to require 2 great shots to reach. I don't mind the rare/occasional par 5 that's pretty easy to reach in two (great drive and then maybe 6/7 iron), but the majority of them I'd like to see driver and at least 3/4 iron at the minimum to get there in two if it's possible. Again, risk reward needs to be there on reachable par 5's as well.

I like 2 of the par 5's to be reachable which for me means about 530 yards or less. I almost never go for a par 5 in two from outside of 240 unless it's downhill or the wind is at my back. My course has 2 of the 5 par 5's that are reachable, one is 510 and the other is 537 but a little downhill. Since I normally play from at least 6600 yards, I rarely see a par 4 under 330 yards which is well out of my wheelhouse.

My only chance of driving a par 4 is when I'm playing a scramble and I'm playing the white tees. My home course has one par 4 shorter than 400 yards from the back tees and that one is 379 yards. Off the next set of tees up that hole plays 352 but it's the only one shorter than 375.

Driveable par 4s or reachable par 5s, I have heard of both, but I have never experienced either, unless a Florida scramble with a young buck counts.

I like a reachable par 4 from time to time but think they should be limited and yes it should always be risk/reward.

I don't mind one each able par5 on a course and another that would take two great shots. For reachable par 4s there needs to be a risk with going for it.

Driveable par 4's are non-existent for me. I like to have a chance to get to maybe 2 par 5's in two with two very well executed shots.

I like having a drivable 4 more than a reachable 5. But really with either it has a way of taking me out of a game plan. The risk reward is always a challenge.

I have no idea what that part of the game is like.

I like having at least one reachable 5, and a couple reachable if you just smack the crap out of your drive. drivable par 4's, not so much. I like having a solid iron into the green.

As long as the penalty is there for a missed shot I am fine with both and as many as the course wants to give me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like 1 of each on courses. My course has a 'driveable' par 4 for long hitters and I've been within 15 yards of the green with great shots for me. Just a little more wind and I'm there. Same with 1 of our par 5s I've been so close a few times and again just a little more wind or a firmer fairway

I love courses that make you think other than tee off with driver, then hit whatever club the yards dictact. Im good the driver, but it gets boring unless its gasing it to a par 5 in 2, or deciding to hit driver on a 300yd par 4 or a safe 4 iron then wedge it up.
Id say 2 reachable 5s, and 1 drivable 4; however, a few other shorter 4s with forced layups/doglegs to cut.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

This is all just IMO...

A driveable par 4, depending on length, can be gimmicky. I don't hate them, but there has to be a big risk/reward for it. I certainly don't think there should be one on every course either.

As for reachable par 5's...I think it needs to require 2 great shots to reach. I don't mind the rare/occasional par 5 that's pretty easy to reach in two (great drive and then maybe 6/7 iron), but the majority of them I'd like to see driver and at least 3/4 iron at the minimum to get there in two if it's possible. Again, risk reward needs to be there on reachable par 5's as well.
This.

I am not a big hitter, so when I DO reach a par 5 in 2 shots... they need to be really good shots.

I've only ever played a handful of courses with a drivable par 4... but I always felt that they were fun. Trouble on both sides... something to make you thing and decide if the risk is worth the reward.

A 280 yard par 4 with nothing but maybe a greenside trap? Nah. But throw some water left and some tall fescue right? Decide if it's worth trying to thread that needle.

To answer the question... maybe 1 or 2 par 5s that can be reached... but a drivable par 4 needs to be rare. Perhaps a makeup for a super long par 4 or something.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

I agree most great courses will feature a drivable par 4 and at least a reachable par 5. I like courses that present you with opportunities, and you have to decide whether to go for them or not.

I like having the occasional driveable par 4 and really like when there is a par 5 that is reachable with 2 good shots. I'm not a fan of the one that cbaker mentioned where you only need driver+6/7 iron. It's certainly not a guaranteed eagle or anything for me, but that just doesn't seem right.

1 of each would be nice, and a par 3 around 120-130 would be great, even an interesting green that's tough to hit around 100 would be awesome.

I don't really hit it very far, but I like long courses. The brawnier, the better. I find long, challenging courses fun. That way, when I get to shorter courses, it's a little easier.

I've made eagle by reaching a par 4 with my drive, but I've got to go with some opinions here, that the reachable par 4's and 5's are a little gimmicky. Eventually the owners will look for a way to protect Par, and it's harder to do that with the short ones - unnatural hazards, fast and tiny greens, etc.

I like a reachable par 4 if there is some risk involved. The 2 courses I play the most, Big Met and Dorlon, one has some one doesn't. Big met has 2 up to maybe 4 reachable 4's which is too many. Almost every hole is a driver wedge or short iron. Does have 3 reachable, 2 easily. Then it has one silly 5 where you need less that driver off the tee. I got there in 2 once, with 5 wood then 245 yard 5 wood. My other course Dorlon as no reachable 4's from the back. In summer when it is playing hard and fast I did drive the fringe of a 345 yard hole but I don't consider that reachable. 2 of the par 5's are reachable way too easily the others at least take 2 good shots.

In my dream course I want one reachable par 4, one easy par 5 that is really a par 4.5, 2 par 5's that at least require 2 good shots and 1 par 5 that is a true 3 shot hole unless you can go 300 yard plus driver followed by off the deck driver from 280, if you can do that then you deserve to get on any par 5

Back