Here's a pic of how I mentioned I play with it on a cart.
5e6e9una.jpg
usyzyhu2.jpg

Thanks for this I'm going out to play now and will try this. Cup holders are good so long as they aren't already in use.

Forgot my phone today... But I brought the sound chuck... I need to use this on the course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick question. How do you know when the soundchuck is fully charged? I literally can't find anything on it. Will the charging indicator turn off? Turn green? It's currently on a slow blinking in blue (which the soundchuck itself is blue).

Thanks

~Rock

Quick question. How do you know when the soundchuck is fully charged? I literally can't find anything on it. Will the charging indicator turn off? Turn green? It's currently on a slow blinking in blue (which the soundchuck itself is blue).

Thanks

~Rock

IIRC, it stops blinking when completely charged.

Since THP was kind enough to have a contest for a PUMA Soundchuck, which I won, I figure the least I can do is write a bit about it.

So first off, this thing has some weight to it. I've seen other people's bluetooth speakers, but they were all lightweight, and usually only one speaker. These have some weight, and the rubber/silicone type coating give you confidence that these can hang around in a cart without ever getting damaged.

So, like any kid on christmas, as soon as the package was at the post office, I had my wife pick it up, rather than wait for it to get delivered later. She brought it to me at the office, and I quickly proceeded go through the unboxing process. Blue. Nice! Matches my golf cart. I turned them on just to see what would happen, and got that loud beeping turn on noise. These are lithium ion batteries, so I could have just used it then and there without worrying about the initial full charge. But, I wasn't sure how charged it was, and I knew I wanted to use them for an after work practice session at the course.

I put them on the charger, not sure what happened, but my computer at the office restarted instantly and sort of flipped out for a bit. And I think my ethernet port may have fried, or at least it has stopped working (again, no explanation as to why, may have been pure coincidence). I obviously have wifi on the work PC, and I do most of my posting here from my work PC, so obviously all is well.

About 2.5 hours later, it was charged. #Cookie was right, the slow blinking light means its charging. It stops blinking (and the light is just permanently on) when it is fully charged. I listened to a bit of music at work. I mean, c'mon, I had to try it out. I paired it with my Ipod touch, which is just as easy as the PUMA videos show. Within less than 30 seconds, I was listening to music.

As to the sound quality. I tried some different positioning of the speakers in my office. I faced one end towards me and the other towards a wall. Then I tried the other way. There will always be negative nancy's out there. So I want you to face a reality. Without looking it up, the speakers are probably 1.25"-1.5" speakers. Bass is produced by moving air and creating air pressure. That's why some people have giant subwoofers in their cars. Those speakers move a lot of air. A 1.5" speaker, not a lot of air movement. And before you (the negative nancy on sound quality) say "yea, but my in ear buds produce a lot of bass." Yes, your in ear buds do produce a lot of bass, because they are in your ear, working with a very small volume of air space, and can produce the necessary air pressure in your ear canal to sound like that.

So anyways, back to these speakers. In the office, I was a bit disappointed by the bass output. It wasn't that the bass wasn't there, because if you put your ear to the magnet side (where the bass is produced), the bass is there. It just wasn't transmitting well. As with any speaker, it has some frequency ranges that it produces at a louder volume than others. The soundchuck is excellent at producing mid range frequency. I played with the EQ on the Ipod, but didn't find anything that sounded better than just with the EQ off. Again, that's more of a personal preference thing.

I then draped the speakers over a lamp so they were hanging at ear level. The sound was notably better, and the speakers were in a vertical position, such that neither end was pointing at me. The sound was much more balanced, with neither the lows, mids, or highs, dominating. And at the golf course was that much better. Apparently, from 10 feet away, the speakers are even more balanced in sound, and all of a sudden, the bass was coming through, perhaps because the other frequencies were not overbearing the bass. Actually, I was really surprised how well it sounded for such small speakers.

And the versatility. They are versatile. That strap allows you to just put the things pretty much anywhere. I just dangled the things around roof pole in the cart and let them hang down into the cart basket. I could hear them just fine, and again, I was impressed with the sound quality for such small drivers. Very balanced.

In all, I used the speakers for a little over 4 fours and they were still going strong. I'm curious to know if using the direct line as to bluetooth would increase the battery life any, but based on what others have said about battery life, I'm not sure why I would need to.

It's hard to complain about something you won, but if I had one complaint about these speakers, it is the beeping it makes when it turns on and off. It's very loud. It's like R2D2 when he's really angry. If there is a way to turn that down, I'd love to know it.

Still, overall, these are a solid speaker. I've heard a lot of other bluetooth speakers, and these beat them hands down. These are also more versatile and look like they can take a bit more abuse than your standard $40 blue tooth speaker. I haven't heard many of the premium bluetooth speakers, so take this for what it is. Either way, I'm happy, and I have a new permanent accessory to take with me to the golf course now.

~Rock

I fully charged mine before the first use. I've ran this for nearly 36 holes of golf, and 5 hours of playing during my work. The Soundchuck's battery indicator on my iPhone shows well over 50% left. How good is the battery on this thing??!!

I fully charged mine before the first use. I've ran this for nearly 36 holes of golf, and 5 hours of playing during my work. The Soundchuck's battery indicator on my iPhone shows well over 50% left. How good is the battery on this thing??!!

I love hearing this.

Cookie you are bringing this thing right?

After winning the Puma Soundchuck, I got 11-12 hours out of the first battery charge. Puma advertises 6 hours (or 8 hours, depending on where you are on the website). Puma may be the first company ever to underestimate their battery usage time.

~Rock

After winning the Puma Soundchuck, I got 11-12 hours out of the first battery charge. Puma advertises 6 hours (or 8 hours, depending on where you are on the website). Puma may be the first company ever to underestimate their battery usage time.

~Rock

You're not alone with that. I did a recharge before my last round because I did not want the speaker to die, but I have yet to run it out and I had to have been at least to 9-10 hours before the recharge.

Good info on the battery life as I've yet to put it through a complete testing cycle.

Hope we hear more feedback on this one soon since CPG was kind enough to give one of these to their Morgan Cup participants, and in PINK at that!

Since I already had one, I gave my new one to DevRickus on Friday for his birthday, he was quite excited!

I know after hearing these out on the course during the practice rounds last week I want one of these. Sound was great and wasn't disturbing as loud as we had it. The Soundchuck rocks!

Been trying desperately to buy one off urban outfitters. Missed the limited stock both times so far. 59 can't be beat

The pink soundchuck was out with me today on range and course for a bit. Can't thank Cobra enough, just an awesome bonus for the MC staffers. Also glad my blue one is in a good home with DDec now.

The pink soundchuck was out with me today on range and course for a bit. Can't thank Cobra enough, just an awesome bonus for the MC staffers. Also glad my blue one is in a good home with DDec now.

Hells yes it is. Love this thing already, as if you couldnt tell by me blasting chili peppers

Hells yes it is. Love this thing already, as if you couldnt tell by me blasting chili peppers

This thing is great. As the sun was setting on Saturday night my wife and I took a walk down 17 and 18 and the sound chuck sounded fantastic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been trying to find one of these at a good price for a while now. Seeing all the Cobra guys raving about them this past week has made me want one even more.

Where does everyone play that music is okay on the course? I mean i like the idea but know my golf mates would strangle me.

Where does everyone play that music is okay on the course? I mean i like the idea but know my golf mates would strangle me.

My golfing buddies all seem to enjoy it. I often ask what they want to listen to and then just let Pandora do the work.

Some cool guy I know gave me a pair of these this weekend. Already used them. They are AWESOME.

Took mine out to the range with lil man yesterday. Was a blast to have some music.

Back