Callaway Apex UT Utility Iron

I only took one swing with it, but I thought it was pretty easy to hit and launch. At 21* it would replace my 3 iron I think. For me personally, I would be more interested in a lower lofted model--18* or so to replace my 5 wood.
You hit that ball off the deck...? Seeing you hit this was absolutely one of my highlights if the weekend.

Was anyone hitting it off the deck?

Tyler, what club could this replace in your bag?

A lot of people were hitting it off the deck. It's surprisingly easy to hit.

I scuffled with the prior utility. The Apex utility looks hard to hit, but it's really easy.

I would have to work with it to figure out which club it would replace.

I cannot wait to try this club. Unfortunately being LH, I will probably have to buy and then try but that's okay. I'm use to it.

I cannot wait to try this club. Unfortunately being LH, I will probably have to buy and then try but that's okay. I'm use to it.

Well, the last utility iron Cally made was RH only, so don't get your hopes up too much until all the details are released.

Is it the same size as th X Utility?

And Nate. There was 1 LH X Utility made. Just never sold to us common folk.

Well, the last utility iron Cally made was RH only, so don't get your hopes up too much until all the details are released.
My only hope is that Phil is carrying it. Hopefully Callaway will put a LH one in production for this reason.

LH X Utility

attachment.php

IMG_0719.jpg

A lot of people were hitting it off the deck. It's surprisingly easy to hit.

I scuffled with the prior utility. The Apex utility looks hard to hit, but it's really easy.

I would have to work with it to figure out which club it would replace.

How would you compare it to the previous utility? The Apex Utility seemed like an extension of the Apex long irons in terms launch and feel.

How would you compare it to the previous utility? The Apex Utility seemed like an extension of the Apex long irons in terms launch and feel.

The prior utility seemed like an extension of the X-Forged or the Razr X MBs. Definitely more of a player's iron feel than the Apex.

You're absolutely correct that the Apex Utility feels like an extension of the Apex irons. It's a great utility.

I'm not sure it would replace my X2Hot 4h or BB 5W though.

The UT is just so easy to hit and get elevated. For me, it definitely felt better at impact than any other DI i've ever tried.

The UT is just so easy to hit and get elevated. For me, it definitely felt better at impact than any other DI i've ever tried.
Alex how did it compare in size to the X Utility? Which in your opinion was easier to hit?

Alex how did it compare in size to the X Utility? Which in your opinion was easier to hit?

based on my limited time with the UT, it was a compact head (compared to the X Utility) without sacrificing the feel. For me, the UT was leaps easier to hit. Also the UT sat perfect at address and didn't fan open like the X utility.

Thanks. Hope the Bertha weights fit in it. Would be nice to change the SW on the fly. Just picked up a complete set of weights and have many duplicates from 1gr all the way to 15gr.

The sole of this club is definitely wider, the weighting is also a bit different from the standard two iron. It's a heck of a lot easier to hit than the old school duece.

Thanks. I have the apex 2i and 3i and find both pretty easy to hit. Distance wise and ball flight wise how does it compare to either long iron or?

I can't really speak to that, my longest iron is a 4 iron. But it was as long as my 20 degree hybrid with a more penetrating ball flight.

Thanks. Hope the Bertha weights fit in it. Would be nice to change the SW on the fly. Just picked up a complete set of weights and have many duplicates from 1gr all the way to 15gr.

The weights are much, much smaller than what goes into the Big Bertha. In talking with #, he wasn't even sure if, outside of tour, different weights would be available. I'm sure if someone wants them bad enough, they can find them. I could be wrong though, but I think this is correct.

the weights appear to be the same as was in the X utility if I remember correctly.

I'd really love to put this in the bag. I've been testing out driving irons and really like them off the tee as well as from the fairway. I may just pick up the X Utility for now!

I was thinking along the same lines. Need something to help launch it for us mortals that dare to try something like this. Would be very interesting to hit.
Wonder if it'll have the weights in it like the other low irons in Apex. FWIW I don't have a huge issue getting the 4 and 5i apex off the ground and i think it's bc of the weights.

Wonder if it'll have the weights in it like the other low irons in Apex. FWIW I don't have a huge issue getting the 4 and 5i apex off the ground and i think it's bc of the weights.

It's not the tungsten weights imbedded in the head. It looks to be very similar to the x utility Proto.

So let me ask you guys something.

As a lefty the pickings were slim in the past and I never tried a Driving Iron. Not a fan of Hybrids either. So I carry somewhat long irons.

Will this Apex UT be easier and more forgiving lets say to hit than the Apex in the same loft? 24* vs 24* (5i) for example.

Thanks.

Being a lefty must be tough for stuff like this. I'll let lmh3 give you the real scoop on what his findings are. I can say in my 3 swings with the 21* (4i) seemed to be about the same to hit as the normal 4 iron I have. I don't know if it's meant to be a replacement club, but if it works for someone that way and is a better option than hybrids, by all means go for it.

21llb38.jpg

Guys, What shaft did you hit in the 21 deg? Was it a stiff KBS V?

Back