XXIO 9 Driver Review

Awesome! Thanks

So many great clubs this year I'm not sure how I will be able to test them all!

Someday I will upgrade to XXIO 9 from the XXIO 8. Game changing driver for me. My handicap has dropped from 16 to 12.8 in 2 months.

Has anyone spent enough time with the XXIO 9 and the Prime to be able to compare the two?

Edit: I should add from a performance standpoint.

I'm not much of a golf reviewer but here goes...

Just got back home from my trip to Myrtle Beach a few hours ago. Over the winter I completely replaced my entire bag to the XXIO, take a look at my signature for a complete breakdown. Never hit any of these clubs prior to the trip except into a DIY net that is setup in the basement.

It was crazy kind of trip in that we were down in SC for 7 days and played 13 rounds of golf. Less than half of the afternoon redo's were on the same course. Except for one morning round the group showed up just prior to our tee off times, and we went directly to the first tee - no warmups balls or chipping and putting practice. Not exactly ideal for having all new equipment and not playing since last fall. Needless to say it took several holes to find some semblance of a swing. Enough excuses here are my thoughts.

Starting from the top of the bag...

XXIO9 Driver 9.5˚
The XXIO driver is what sparked my interest in their golf equipment. After reading and watching everything I could, I wanted this club. Never had my swing speed measured but I suspect that I have a VERY slow SS - just guessing but I suspect that it wouldn't be more that 85 MPH tops. Based on what I have read this club sounded like it was just made for me.

I struggled with which loft to get. As most are aware there are no hosel adjustments on any of the XXIO drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Other than the rather high cost of XXIO clubs this is my only complaint regarding any of the XXIO equipment. Just about every modern golf club has loft adjustments. Normally I hit a very high driver so fortunately the 9.5˚ loft worked perfectly for me. There were others in our group that had their drives set at 12.5 and 13˚ loft but I still had a higher and more penetrating ball flight. My brother-in-law who is a much better, longer golfer, with a faster swing speed had his driver set to 12.5˚ loft. When both of us made good swings off the same tees, I was consistently 20 to 40 yards further off the tees. Prior to the XXIO driver my good (not best) drives averaged 210 - 220 yards. With the XXIO my good (not best) drives averaged 240 to 250 yards. My best drives were measured in the 258 to 278 yard range. This is well beyond what I was hoping for. :)

Without question this driver has the most forgiving club face that I have ever hit. I had several low heel shots that did loose distance, but even these were better than my prefvous Titleist 915 D2 when it was well struck. As many others have noted here, the crown simply put is gorgeous. When the sun strikes the crown it changes from a sparkle blue to a purple. Sound is very subjective, but it just sounds so powerful and long. This same sound/feel is carried through on the fairway wood and hybrid lines.

XXIO9 4 & 7 Woods
The fairway woods look and sound almost identical to the driver. With their shallow face and low centre of gravity getting your ball high into the air is stupid simple. Digging balls out of the rough with the 7W or 4H was simply child's play. Distance wise I found them to be about 10 to 15 yards longer than my other woods that I have owned in the past - the last being the Titleist 915F woods. The XXIO woods typically fly very straight. When not dead straight there is either a slight draw or fade - but not more than about 5 yards either way. With my previous woods I consistently drew the ball, but too many times these draws could be in the 10 to 15 yard range. These clubs simply oozed confidence!

XXIO9 4 Hybrid
The sounds and looks are very similar to the driver and fairway woods. The ability to get the ball in the air, out of the rough, and flight shape is very similar to the XXIO 7 wood. I love hitting this club so much I would choke down on it to avoid hitting my 5 iron. Like the driver and woods the ball flight is high and penetrating. I liked this club so much that I ordered the 5H while I was still down south. My tracking number shows it arriving this Thursday. :)

XXIO8 Irons
As previously mentioned I didn't have time to work on my swing pre or post game and it really showed up in my iron play. I was hitting my irons about 5 yards further than normal but in all honesty my iron play sucked most rounds. I believe that the arrows were just fine but indian wasn't doing his job. The irons have a heavy head and they felt good through out the swing. When I made decent contact they felt great - but the same can be said about all other irons. To be fair I'll post some further thoughts after I've had a chance to address my iron play and get a few more rounds in. Based on the weather here that will probably be in several weeks.

As previously mentioned it's the driver that got me excited about XXIO. That being said I'm as excited (and perhaps even more so) with the fairway woods and hybrid. I still need more time to fairly asses the irons.

Simply put the XXIO family of clubs are real game changers. I purchased everything blind and I have absolutely no regrets.

Awesome! I really want to try this driver!

I'm not much of a golf reviewer but here goes...

Just got back home from my trip to Myrtle Beach a few hours ago. Over the winter I completely replaced my entire bag to the XXIO, take a look at my signature for a complete breakdown. Never hit any of these clubs prior to the trip except into a DIY net that is setup in the basement.

It was crazy kind of trip in that we were down in SC for 7 days and played 13 rounds of golf. Less than half of the afternoon redo's were on the same course. Except for one morning round the group showed up just prior to our tee off times, and we went directly to the first tee - no warmups balls or chipping and putting practice. Not exactly ideal for having all new equipment and not playing since last fall. Needless to say it took several holes to find some semblance of a swing. Enough excuses here are my thoughts.

Starting from the top of the bag...

XXIO9 Driver 9.5˚
The XXIO driver is what sparked my interest in their golf equipment. After reading and watching everything I could, I wanted this club. Never had my swing speed measured but I suspect that I have a VERY slow SS - just guessing but I suspect that it wouldn't be more that 85 MPH tops. Based on what I have read this club sounded like it was just made for me.

I struggled with which loft to get. As most are aware there are no hosel adjustments on any of the XXIO drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Other than the rather high cost of XXIO clubs this is my only complaint regarding any of the XXIO equipment. Just about every modern golf club has loft adjustments. Normally I hit a very high driver so fortunately the 9.5˚ loft worked perfectly for me. There were others in our group that had their drives set at 12.5 and 13˚ loft but I still had a higher and more penetrating ball flight. My brother-in-law who is a much better, longer golfer, with a faster swing speed had his driver set to 12.5˚ loft. When both of us made good swings off the same tees, I was consistently 20 to 40 yards further off the tees. Prior to the XXIO driver my good (not best) drives averaged 210 - 220 yards. With the XXIO my good (not best) drives averaged 240 to 250 yards. My best drives were measured in the 258 to 278 yard range. This is well beyond what I was hoping for. :)

Without question this driver has the most forgiving club face that I have ever hit. I had several low heel shots that did loose distance, but even these were better than my prefvous Titleist 915 D2 when it was well struck. As many others have noted here, the crown simply put is gorgeous. When the sun strikes the crown it changes from a sparkle blue to a purple. Sound is very subjective, but it just sounds so powerful and long. This same sound/feel is carried through on the fairway wood and hybrid lines.

XXIO9 4 & 7 Woods
The fairway woods look and sound almost identical to the driver. With their shallow face and low centre of gravity getting your ball high into the air is stupid simple. Digging balls out of the rough with the 7W or 4H was simply child's play. Distance wise I found them to be about 10 to 15 yards longer than my other woods that I have owned in the past - the last being the Titleist 915F woods. The XXIO woods typically fly very straight. When not dead straight there is either a slight draw or fade - but not more than about 5 yards either way. With my previous woods I consistently drew the ball, but too many times these draws could be in the 10 to 15 yard range. These clubs simply oozed confidence!

XXIO9 4 Hybrid
The sounds and looks are very similar to the driver and fairway woods. The ability to get the ball in the air, out of the rough, and flight shape is very similar to the XXIO 7 wood. I love hitting this club so much I would choke down on it to avoid hitting my 5 iron. Like the driver and woods the ball flight is high and penetrating. I liked this club so much that I ordered the 5H while I was still down south. My tracking number shows it arriving this Thursday. :)

XXIO8 Irons
As previously mentioned I didn't have time to work on my swing pre or post game and it really showed up in my iron play. I was hitting my irons about 5 yards further than normal but in all honesty my iron play sucked most rounds. I believe that the arrows were just fine but indian wasn't doing his job. The irons have a heavy head and they felt good through out the swing. When I made decent contact they felt great - but the same can be said about all other irons. To be fair I'll post some further thoughts after I've had a chance to address my iron play and get a few more rounds in. Based on the weather here that will probably be in several weeks.

As previously mentioned it's the driver that got me excited about XXIO. That being said I'm as excited (and perhaps even more so) with the fairway woods and hybrid. I still need more time to fairly asses the irons.

Simply put the XXIO family of clubs are real game changers. I purchased everything blind and I have absolutely no regrets.

I find it interesting that my experience with the xxio 9 coming from a titleist 915 d 2 mirrors your own .
I was getting 15 m more regularly with the xxio .
The 3 wood is similar with significant distance gains as well.
Interestingly I had the s r shaft in driver yet the 3 wood I got in the regular as I found it much easier to hit
I thus would recommend trying different shafts as the same shaft may not be ideal across the board

Can't wait to order a set. Already ordered the driver and 3 wood and contemplating the irons...anyone else game the irons?

Sent from my 16M

They make different styles like he XXIO forged irons as well. This thread is on the driver however.

Back