Mizuno MP-15 Irons - THP Review Thread

After hitting a handful of various muscleback heads over the course of the last year or two, I'm certain that players looking for added forgiveness yet a retained "blade" profile will probably have the best luck with these heads -- Assuming they want a bit of additional perimeter forgiveness.

It's just such a great concept. Find a way to expand the material behind the misses without reducing any mass behind the best area to make contact. I really hope they find useful ways to expand and improve on this design.

It is a great concept. I'm liking these way more than I expected, but am resisting the strong urge to go ahead and order a set. I am cautiously optimistic that a short set of these (6-p) could end up in my bag though.

Im absolutely smitten with the looks of these irons. So freaking beautiful.

I like the looks as well, but I think the mP-4's look even better. Surprisingly, it's the feel and overall performance that is winning me over. To be honest, a lot of that may be down to familiarity, having played muscle back irons, with a similar shaft, for most of my golfing life.

Hit the MP-15 6i a lot again today, just feels like money! Money that is likely going to be leaving my wallet soon if I keep messing with these. I can't seem to help myself though, they are so much like my old FG's, and I actually like them even better. Never thought I would say that, but it's true, these are better than my FG-17's, even when comparing center strike for center strike. And the not so center strikes are way better. I'm actually really surprised at how forgiving these are. I mean you get no real help on thins, and you cant miss way out on the toe, but I hit a few that were about a half inch towards the toe and they came out better than I expected. I also would have had trouble telling which ones were centered and which were towards the toe.

Still loving the way these irons perform for me. Get plenty of distance and love the sound/feel of impact. These irons are a lot more forgiving that they look.

Yeah I see a lot of posts of people saying certain clubs look good but are way out of there league. I think if more people would just try them they would be surprised by the forgiveness.

You guys were right, I was expecting them to be much less forgiving than they are.

You guys were right, I was expecting them to be much less forgiving than they are.
Just order them already. You know you won't regret it! :) but in all seriousness make sure you are fitted with the right shaft for them. It makes a huge difference.

Just order them already. You know you won't regret it! :) but in all seriousness make sure you are fitted with the right shaft for them. It makes a huge difference.

Agreed! I did well when I had the recoils in, but wasn't fit for them. I put in the PXis I was fit for and have been killing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I see a lot of posts of people saying certain clubs look good but are way out of there league. I think if more people would just try them they would be surprised by the forgiveness.

Ive always been one of those guys that presume some of these irons are way out of my league.

I just purchased some MP-4's (demo'ed a 6-iron at Golfsmith and it was so freaking beautiful, I couldn't stop thinking about it).

Anyways, after 3 range sessions (haven't played a round with them yet), I'm very pleasantly surprised. I normally play the 850F's.
The MP-4's are a little more difficult to hit.

The difference is that you can't just recklessly swing at the ball.
My balls are probably a little shorter (I'm not sure about that). Accuracy is definitely increased, and it seems distances are way more consistent.

Now, when I get out and play an actual round with them, I might crap my pants when I see that clubhead...but so far I don't think there is that much of a difference.

I like the S300's a lot, but I caught a few ballooning this evening when really going after it. I definitely would like to try them with different shafts if I can.

Got to put the forgiveness aspect to a better test yesterday, couldn't seem to stop hitting towards the toe, and I am still surprised at the level of forgiveness based on the head profile. Not a big deal because that always seems bound to happen, but it was weird because I had to use impact tape to tell. I did find that I liked the MP-54's and 850 f's slightly better on a day like yesterday. Going back today to try it at +1 and 2 up.

I wonder if we will see mp-55 this year. Anxiously waiting!!

The 6i at +1 and 2 up with S300 was ideal! Ordered one just like it today for extended testing.

I bet we see the standard annual 3 or 4 new irons from them.

I think so. The 54, 4 and EZ series are all due this fall I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss these occasionally. They were a solid set of irons.

I miss these occasionally. They were a solid set of irons.

With the way you hit your current set at The King, I am shocked you could miss anything. Pure after Pure after Pure.

With the way you hit your current set at The King, I am shocked you could miss anything. Pure after Pure after Pure.

you must have missed his shots in Pitt:alien:

Are you sure that was not his doppleganger? I mean there seemed to be three Fupresti's there.
Although the one that posted above, was dreaming about Ham Solo, and crunching irons.

Are you sure that was not his doppleganger? I mean there seemed to be three Fupresti's there.
Although the one that posted above, was dreaming about Ham Solo, and crunching irons.

I told you, I just yelled Chicken Nuggets and saw someone come running.

I can't have all the Hall of Fame tags dude. I like to make sure everyone has something to call their own.

I can't have all the Hall of Fame tags dude. I like to make sure everyone has something to call their own.

I wish you were more of a tyrant. Just take it all for yourself.

I wish you were more of a tyrant. Just take it all for yourself.

Then I would be like Mike Dean and no one wants that.

Stop making me want the same stuff as Fupresti!!! He's talked me into a driver already......I can't let him talk me into irons as well. If I do....he'll pretty much feel like he owns a piece of my soul.

I still love these irons, btw. Feel awesome on pure shots, and look even better on mis-hits.

Stop making me want the same stuff as Fupresti!!! He's talked me into a driver already......I can't let him talk me into irons as well. If I do....he'll pretty much feel like he owns a piece of my soul.

I still love these irons, btw. Feel awesome on pure shots, and look even better on mis-hits.

I would make sweet love to my XR Pros, but only once the Supreme Court says it's OK.

I would make sweet love to my XR Pros, but only once the Supreme Court says it's OK.
If ever I've heard a testament to a set of irons, that'd be it ha-ha.

Still enjoying the MP-15 6i, but not completely sure about the shaft. Going to try one with the CT shaft when it comes in (same specs otherwise).

Back