Chipping/short pitches and wet conditions

cnosil

Reaction score
Most of us on the East Coast are still dealing with wet conditions. I am able to adapt my iron swing to the conditions but my short game is really a mess. I typically play the bounce when executing these shots and as a result I am hitting a lot of fat shots or having the club slide right under the ball. Do you make any alterations to your short game swing to deal with wet conditions?

Had the same issue this past weekend. I tried to alter my swing and ended up blading a few chips. Had I had the opportunity right now I would have played those shots with a lower lofted club.

I tend to just choke up half inch to and inch, depending on the club. Sometimes I also move the ball back in my stance a tad to make sure I catch the ball first for sure.

I play the ball back and try to keep it as low to the ground as possible.

Ball back and less loft

Had the same issue this past weekend. I tried to alter my swing and ended up blading a few chips. Had I had the opportunity right now I would have played those shots with a lower lofted club.

I am right there with you Matt. Really my only missed shot on the back 9 Sunday was an attempted pitch shot on 17 where the club just stuck in the wet ground and the ball went maybe 5 yards. Faced with a chip on 18 where I would have typically hit a pitch with a lob wedge I went 9 iron low into the hill and the result was pretty good. At least I learned my lesson.

I played on Sunday and it was very muddy and Wet.

As as you did my irons were fine I just choked down and took an extra club. But with the chips I was catching the wet ground nearly every shot....eventually put the ball back in my stance and took more loft....and did my best to catch the ball first.

The other thing to do when the ground is wet is to stand closer getting the heel slightly higher than the toe and then hit the ball more on the toe. That way the heel is away from the ground and can't catch the wet ground.

Small trade off for the ball stopping where it lands.

Hang with me.

I think wet conditions reveal weaknesses in most players chipping and pitching technique. If your technique is solid the only adjustment you should need to make is in the amount of roll out. Wet conditions reduce backspin, but a wet green will also reduce the speed of the green. Here's what I mean.

Balance issues are going to become a bigger issue when the ground is squishy.
The club is suppose to glide under the ball using the sole of the club. If you are using the sole whether it's wet or dry barely matters. If you are digging in with the leading edge or the heel--big difference.
Watch the pros. Their short game swings are smooth and rhythmic, some would say effortless. The lower body is often described as quiet, though that isn't quite accurate. There is some lower body rotation and weight shift, but it is so smooth. This obviously pays big dividends under wet conditions.

Last edited:
Back