Can someone 'splain this for me.

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
I just recently joined the SCGA to establish my handicap. My question has to do with ESC. I understand why it is used but don't quite understand why it isn't based on the Par for the hole. Right now, per my handicap, I cannot take higher than an 8. But taking an 8 on a Par 5 is not the same as on a Par 4 or, worse, a Par 3. I haven't taken an 8 on a Par 3 yet but a couple of my playing partners did a few weeks ago on a Par 3 that was, rather unforgiving if you didn't land on the correct tier (green had three tiers and anywhere off the green meant your ball rolled 40-50 yards down the hill). I asked my one partner about the ESC and he said they changed it to make things "simpler."

The maximum number allowed is because of your current handicap. When you get below a 10 (?) it changes to be that you can't take more than double bogey on any hole, regardless of what par is for the hole.

The maximum number allowed is because of your current handicap. When you get below a 10 (?) it changes to be that you can't take more than double bogey on any hole, regardless of what par is for the hole.

And that double bogey makes sense. Why isn't it triple bogey for 10-19, quad for 20-29 etc?

Last edited:
Back