Phil Mickelson Golf.com Interview

Freddy

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 2.9
Golf.com did an interview with Phil and there were some interesting questions in there. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on this question on the third page.

"
Of the so-called Big Four -- Fowler, McIlroy, Day and Spieth -- is there one that, in your mind, seems better suited to winning multiple majors and doing it consistently, where they get to a level of Tiger's 14 titles, or even Jack's number?"

1) Do you think any of these guys will get to 14 majors? I don't think any of them will reach 14 majors.
2) Who do you think is the most likely to win the most majors out of those 4? I'm going to say Speith by a hair over Mcilroy. Day's injury history scares me and Fowler hasn't even won a major yet.
3) Is there someone else not mentioned that will win more majors? I would put Bubba in front of both Fowler and Day.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/e...g-big-four-and-what-sets-tiger-apart?simple=1

Feel free to comment on any of the other questions posed to Phil.

talk about some loaded questions haha

talk about some loaded questions haha

They really were... And other questions that kind of forced Phil's hand. I think his answer to the Ryder Cup read with a lot of passion, but I could easily see it twisted to say he's arrogant.

They really were... And other questions that kind of forced Phil's hand. I think his answer to the Ryder Cup read with a lot of passion, but I could easily see it twisted to say he's arrogant.
I love that he basically says Poulter is a joke outside of the Ryder Cup lol

Are you asking for us to answer the questions in the OP?

Golf.com did an interview with Phil and there were some interesting questions in there. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on this question on the third page.

"
Of the so-called Big Four -- Fowler, McIlroy, Day and Spieth -- is there one that, in your mind, seems better suited to winning multiple majors and doing it consistently, where they get to a level of Tiger's 14 titles, or even Jack's number?"

1) Do you think any of these guys will get to 14 majors? I don't think any of them will reach 14 majors.
2) Who do you think is the most likely to win the most majors out of those 4? I'm going to say Speith by a hair over Mcilroy. Day's injury history scares me and Fowler hasn't even won a major yet.
3) Is there someone else not mentioned that will win more majors? I would put Bubba in front of both Fowler and Day.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/e...g-big-four-and-what-sets-tiger-apart?simple=1

Feel free to comment on any of the other questions posed to Phil.

1. No one will get to 14.
2. I will go with Speith. I think he finishes his career with 7.
3. No. Bubba is a good answer, but I don't think he has the patience to win any other major besides the Masters. Maybe a PGA.

Great interview. It didn't come off as cocky to me at all, just a guy who'd put in enough work to be confident in his game. That's awesome.

OP answers:
1. Nobody
2. Rory
3. Bubba could win more, not sure I'd say he will win more.

1. I don't see it happening
2. I'd have to go with McIlroy simply because he's already got 2 more than Spieth.
3. Assuming we are talking about the younger players, I don't think so.

I had no idea he had that kind of respect for Tiger's career!!

1. Nobody
2. McIlroy has the most complete game - just question his long term desire!
3. Not likely!

1. Spieth and McIlroy both have a chance at hitting 14 - they are still very young and wildly talented. If I had to pick one, I'd say Spieth is more likely to do it.
2. Spieth
3. Probably not. Bubba may win more than he has now, but he won't have a career like Spieth or McIlroy. Short of injuries, Bubba's career will be over much sooner than the others.

Good read, I didn't pick up on some of the other observations though. Felt like a typical honest Phil conversation, with so many robots on tour his honesty will be missed when the clock strikes twelve.

1) No I do not think
2) I agree with the Speith comment
3) I would not put Bubba in the group ... mainly because I am not a fan of Bubba, and me willing it not to be true, means it will not be true ... right???

1) no
2) Rory. By a large margin.
3) DJ. Once he gets over the hump the flood gates could open.

1. No I think the field is as strong as it ever has been and the game is changing. Im in no way taking Tiger's 14 majors away from him but when he first came on to the scene, no one could match him and he somewhat benefitted from a field catching up to him. Todays game is different and on a whole, these guys match each other pretty well.
2. I would say Rory has a slight edge over Spieth.
3. No. (I don't agree with Phil's answer of Bubba)

Back