Any tips to help me tell my brain to shut the h**l up during my swing?

Some days my brain is more cluttered than others... on days when I'm thinking pretty clearly I make sure that the last thing I say (out loud) before pulling the trigger is positive - for example, I don't EVER say "OK, don't hit it in the lake" but instead "OK, let's put it out there by the 150 marker" or whatever my target is.

Other days when I have a lot going on and am finding it tough to calm my thoughts I pick a song and make sure it's playing in my head when I approach the ball. It helps quiet the other thoughts when I focus on the song.

Great stuff everyone. Giving me lots of things to try.

Practice more and make your swing automatic. Then you don't have to think

Change the thought. Instead of all the swing stuff try a single thought that gets you thinking about the target in a positive way. Maybe something like "Big wide fairway"

(Insert Allen Iverson "Practice? We talkin' practice?" video clip here)

Panda, out of curiosity, do you have any thoughts/keys you say/think when over the ball?

Last edited:
Whenever I start having several bad drives I start thinking too much about mechanics and it gets worse so to help stop thinking about it I tell myself as I pull my driver out, "Just hit the D**n ball!" and I don't waste time. I tee it up and drop the hammer. No practice swings and I already did a very quick shot visual as I walked up to the tee box. It usually ends up being one of the best drives of the day.

The key here for me is make it all happen quickly so I don't give my mind time to think. I know I can hit the ball so I know I shouldn't have to think about hitting the ball.

Tour Tempo, or say aloud

1,2, wait, and 3!

I like this thought, and want to add to it.... Swing quickly. Pick a club, stand up to the ball, and swing!!

The less time to take, the less time your brain has to think about the shot and your swing. Surprise it a bit.

(Insert Allen Iverson "Practice? We talkin' practice?" video clip here)

Panda, out of curiosity, do you have any thoughts/keys you say/think when over the ball?

No I don't. I make sure I'm square and swing. The only time I think about swing positions is when I'm practicing. I search for a singular feeling that I worked on during practice time

I like this thought, and want to add to it.... Swing quickly. Pick a club, stand up to the ball, and swing!!

The less time to take, the less time your brain has to think about the shot and your swing. Surprise it a bit.
I have a good friend who has the fastest set up that I've ever seen. He adresses the ball,sets for literally a count of "One" and goes.

For me I try and keep things very simple. My only thought after getting aligned is to start the swing with my shoulders. I setup, give it a waggle, say "shoulders" to myself and pull the trigger. Anything more than one word and I'd be thinking too much. Keep it simple, less is more etc etc

Faldo I think used to say in his head, "wind - it - up - finish." It also served as a tempo device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any tips to help me tell my brain to shut the h**l up during my swing?

His first name IS Jim, but I don't think it's the same guy.

Not the same guy haha or name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of good reads for you or any golfer:

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" and "Zen Golf"

This is absolutely the case for me. I'm an analysis/paralysis guy. If I give myself time to think I'm hosed.

Thinking happens when I'm standing behind the ball looking at my options. I pick the club, visualize the shot, commit to it, walk up and hit it.

If my brain starts questioning things while I'm over the ball then I either 1) step away, or 2) hit a bad shot. There's no third option.

Back