Left driver in the bag and hit 3W all day ... much better round. Ideas on 3W?

Out of curiosity OP, do you try to carry your driver to a specific yardage, or do you try to hit it as far as possible.

I always aim for a specific yardage: past the red tees! HA HA

I'm a hit it (or try to) as far as I can. I am NOT long off the tee - if it goes over 200 yards I'm pleased. But if you're wondering if I overswing trying to hit a mile ... no, I'm pretty good to swing within myself. Learned a while ago that the harder you swing the shorter the ball goes.

Don't know what type of driver you have, but if it has adjustable shaft many times a 3w shaft of the same brand can be swapped in very easily. I picked up a 3w shaft a few years ago for $30 with the correct adapter installed and that combo worked magic for me finding fairways. Choking up can give you an idea, but choking up 2" the grip gets small and it just doesn't feel right. On the course I felt like the 3w shaft was performing better but I needed numbers to prove it so I did a driver fitting and nothing came close to it as far as accuracy. I lost 5 to 8 yards on distance compared to the 3 other shafts I tried. The $100 I spend on the fitting was worth the piece of mind and gave me the confidence too.

Ok, I've read a few posts and 8 have to say, everybody loves to buy new equipment but I really have to ask. If your current 3 wood is hitting 95%of the fairways why would you want another club. That one works perfectly fine. Keep that club in your bag. Now find another part of your game that needs a solution and work on that.

To tee it the same every time I grab the ball and tee in one hand. As I push the tee in I extend my index and driving finger bent at the first knuckle while pushing the ball and tee in with my palm. Usually leaves about 1/2" of tee sticking out of the ground but it is consistent.

As for playing with the three wood, Read the Little Red Book and you will find that was Penick's advice to most golfers. The loft keeps you straighter off the tee and its easier to play from the fairway than the rough. Statistically speaking amateurs are way, way better from the fairway than the rough so if you leave it there with your 3 wood and not with the driver then I would leave the driver alone until you hit the 3 wood with deadly accuracy then try working on your driver.

Don't know what type of driver you have, but if it has adjustable shaft many times a 3w shaft of the same brand can be swapped in very easily. I picked up a 3w shaft a few years ago for $30 with the correct adapter installed and that combo worked magic for me finding fairways. Choking up can give you an idea, but choking up 2" the grip gets small and it just doesn't feel right. On the course I felt like the 3w shaft was performing better but I needed numbers to prove it so I did a driver fitting and nothing came close to it as far as accuracy. I lost 5 to 8 yards on distance compared to the 3 other shafts I tried. The $100 I spend on the fitting was worth the piece of mind and gave me the confidence too.
I'll be cutting about 3" off my driver shaft because it's not adjustable. I choke down to the bottom of the grip every drive and it works way better for me. I just need a shorter shaft on my driver, period.

Ok, I've read a few posts and 8 have to say, everybody loves to buy new equipment but I really have to ask. If your current 3 wood is hitting 95%of the fairways why would you want another club. That one works perfectly fine. Keep that club in your bag. Now find another part of your game that needs a solution and work on that.

Okay, that's no fun! But a seriously good idea....

To tee it the same every time I grab the ball and tee in one hand. As I push the tee in I extend my index and driving finger bent at the first knuckle while pushing the ball and tee in with my palm. Usually leaves about 1/2" of tee sticking out of the ground but it is consistent.

As for playing with the three wood, Read the Little Red Book and you will find that was Penick's advice to most golfers. The loft keeps you straighter off the tee and its easier to play from the fairway than the rough. Statistically speaking amateurs are way, way better from the fairway than the rough so if you leave it there with your 3 wood and not with the driver then I would leave the driver alone until you hit the 3 wood with deadly accuracy then try working on your driver.

the finger/knuckle idea is just sheer genius. why do we even have a Nobel Prize if it isn't given out for this sort of good thinking?! that's a great help - thanks very much!

the finger/knuckle idea is just sheer genius. why do we even have a Nobel Prize if it isn't given out for this sort of good thinking?! that's a great help - thanks very much!
It's simple and it never changes......
Now if I could figure out something for my driver I'd be all set!

It's simple and it never changes......
Now if I could figure out something for my driver I'd be all set!
Tees with lines on them. Seriously. I love it.

Let's say you were in the market for a 3 wood because you were gaming a buddy's 3W and you might just have already put a sky mark on it (cough, cough) and you'd like a better one anyway since this one is so old it thinks Arnie is still the king of golf (okay, it's not persimmon but it's not the latest and greatest).

Which 3W out there today is the most FORGIVING and EASIEST to hit for HH?

If I'm on the tee box and if I put the drive over 175 yards AND in the fairway YOU win a million dollars which 3w are you handing me to hit with?

Off the tee box? Probably a Taylormade Aeroburner Mini Driver or Callaway XR 3 Deep.

If you want to be able to hit that club off the turf also, maybe a Ping G30, Wilson D200, or Adams Tight Lies.

Off the tee box? Probably a Taylormade Aeroburner Mini Driver or Callaway XR 3 Deep.

If you want to be able to hit that club off the turf also, maybe a Ping G30, Wilson D200, or Adams Tight Lies.

I'm prolly going to my Hybrids off the turf. Gonna hit this 3W off the tee box. Pretending it's a driver. Wanna hit it long (okay, long for me) and STRAIGHT.

I think the standard 3W that is easiest to hit off the tee AND fairway is the Cally V Series. It has some anti-slice built in and is long and forgiving. Definitely worth a look.

I'm prolly going to my Hybrids off the turf. Gonna hit this 3W off the tee box. Pretending it's a driver. Wanna hit it long (okay, long for me) and STRAIGHT.
Definitely those first two then, or the TM SLDR S Mini Driver or Callaway X2 3 Deep if you want to buy the previous-generation stuff and save a lot of bucks.

I have the SLDR S. Distance is about 15 yards short of my driver, and dispersion is no contest. And I'm not a good hitter.

Definitely those first two then, or the TM SLDR S Mini Driver or Callaway X2 3 Deep if you want to buy the previous-generation stuff and save a lot of bucks.

I have the SLDR S. Distance is about 15 yards short of my driver, and dispersion is no contest. And I'm not a good hitter.

I'm from the previous generation. Love the clubs from yesterday that were, at the time, the greatest thing ever made.

My new strategy is :

If a hole is wide open and forgiving, I hit driver.

If danger on either side 3 wood.

Jack

I've got a SLDR Mini in the bag and have adopted the same strategy. Seems to be working well so far.

Oh boy ... went and pulled the 3w I hit the other day to see what loft it was and it's labeled DRAW. I'm hitting a DRAW driver. That's kinda disheartening. I thought I was hitting it straight...

Oh boy ... went and pulled the 3w I hit the other day to see what loft it was and it's labeled DRAW. I'm hitting a DRAW driver. That's kinda disheartening. I thought I was hitting it straight...
You need to come meet us at Pecan Valley some weekend. See what some of the guys are hitting. You also need to hit up Golfsmith, PGA Superstore, , Golf Galaxy, someplace like that and hit a bunch of clubs. See what you feel comfortable with.
Then get fit into something that works for your swing. There are so many great choices or there, new and used.

There is nothing wrong with hitting a club that says "Draw" on it. That's why they make them. Enough people need them.

You really should go and let someone fit you for what you need.

Jack

Yesterday I left the driver in the bag and used my 3 wood and x2 hot 5woood off the tee. Hit every fairway sept for two or three. And I didn't miss it by much. The best part, shot the best score that I have since high school. 81

I need a recommendation for a club a generation back of the previous generation. I can find Callaway Diabalo 3W with a Draw and an Adams Speedline LP 3W draw. The Adams got rave reviews when it came out (which I think was in 2011). These clubs are now very "budget" priced and wallet friendly. Recommendations along this line?

3W can be a good option off the tee if the hole allows for it. I'll hit 3W (even less) quite often during a round.

If you're leaving yourself an uncomfortably long distance into the hole because you're hitting 3W, I would suggest getting more comfortable with your driver.

I need a recommendation for a club a generation back of the previous generation. I can find Callaway Diabalo 3W with a Draw and an Adams Speedline LP 3W draw. The Adams got rave reviews when it came out (which I think was in 2011). These clubs are now very "budget" priced and wallet friendly. Recommendations along this line?

The Xhot 3Deep is about $100 on the Callaway pre-owned website and I'm sure can be had on eBay for under $100. I hit my 2Deep off the tee on any par 4 under 410 yards and on any unreachable or tight par 5. The Callaway Deep line is amazing off the tee, IMO.

Sounds like you're seeking a serious bargain. If you're looking for a club for tee use only, the Cleveland Mashie F3 15.5* or TF3 14* are great options, and go for silly cheap these days (we're talking 50 bucks or less). Can also probably find Callaway X Hot 3Deep around pretty cheap.

The Xhot 3Deep is about $100 on the Callaway pre-owned website and I'm sure can be had on eBay for under $100. I hit my 2Deep off the tee on any par 4 under 410 yards and on any unreachable or tight par 5. The Callaway Deep line is amazing off the tee, IMO.

do they make that xhot in a DRAW version? my new "magic" with the 3w is with a 3wood DRAW. it sure does hit it straight for me (ahem, it doesn't draw). that makes me think if I hit a regular 3w I may not be some magical off the tee-box. if I'm not going to be long and straight off the tee box then I might as well hit driver. sometimes that is long and straight and sometimes that's banana ball.

in other words, now I'm wondering if the magic isn't the 3w but the DRAW. I can buy an Adams Speedline 3w draw for $50 on fleabay. Kinda thinking about it.

Back