The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My short game is really starting to make me smile.

Biggest thing has been moving to my AW and 54 for chips and playing the shot to get the ball on the ground and rolling more often which has helped my margin for error go down a TON. Beyond that I'm now not using my 58 for everything, but instead I'm actually working specific shots...ESPECIALLY short sided pins. In my round and a half today I played little runners to within 2 feet 5 times, nothing makes me smile like a kick in from there.

Worked on a bunch of mirror work before I had work, noticed I was swaying in the backswing. That's... That's not good. Less lateral, more rotational is needed in the backswing. Gonna try a couple things later this week to see if that keeps me from moving all over the place.

Grabbed a Lesson this afternoon, and I will admit my instructor was not very pleased with me.

My grip was lazy, tempo bad, and setup was too closed.
We did get some work done, and I got "homework" assignments.

I've been incredibly busy lately (who hasn't right?} and let that interfere with my practice and play.

in my lesson my instructor put an alignment rod into the ground about 15 feet in front of me, and I was to set up the clubface to the target (to the left of the rod) and try to hit the ball right of the stick. It didn't go well, have got to get the tension out of my wrists and forearms! and will be a focus point.

We did however grab 18 after the lesson, and I played pretty well, and putted even better.

Lesson today.
Turns out that, with all the work I have been putting in with the driver over the last few weeks, and a tip from TrueFX, I am now hitting the driver better - last three rounds of FIR are 10, 8 and 8 with only one lost ball per round (the misses have either been just off or absolutely awful).
Irons, on the other hand, have been getting worse. Turns out that my alignment and ball position have been pretty bad, which resulted in lots of weak, short fades, especially with wedges.
I am playing tomorrow, practice before, and will get at least two good days of practice in before heading to Pittsburgh - I plan on having things tightened up by then.

My short game is really starting to make me smile.

Biggest thing has been moving to my AW and 54 for chips and playing the shot to get the ball on the ground and rolling more often which has helped my margin for error go down a TON. Beyond that I'm now not using my 58 for everything, but instead I'm actually working specific shots...ESPECIALLY short sided pins. In my round and a half today I played little runners to within 2 feet 5 times, nothing makes me smile like a kick in from there.

Smart man.

Abandoned the net idea so I could get out of the house. Hit 90 balls on the range. Didn't really stick to my game plan as well as I hoped, which is annoying me this morning. I was hitting the ball pretty well though, aside from some big huge loopers with the hybrid.

Oh, and divots. I took divots. Sometimes in front of the ball.

wow just saw this, would have thought it was posted in the HHJJ thread

My range session Sunday was a mixed bag and somewhat frustrating. I hit partial wedge shots through long irons really nicely. The long irons were especially pleasing as that's a tough one for me. 3W was good. Then I went to the practice green. Chipping practice was good but I started pushing and pulling putts. I tried to work on that by doing a gate drill, but was hitting the damn tees. Where the hell did that come from??? Then on my way out I saw a bay where someone had left about 20 balls and decided to jump in a hit driver. Mistake. Pulls and slices galore...I was pretty sure I had a big OTT move going but couldn't get myself to stop. Ugh. Oh well, the iron play use was nice :)

I've put in more time on the range the last few months than I have in 15 years and I stumbled across a set up change that is really helping with the driver, typically my weakest club the past few years. I've moved my hands farther forward and a little higher during the set up and also squared up the face. I had gotten sloppy in my driver set up with a slightly open face at address which required other manipulations during the swing to square up the face. This flaw had also creeped into my fairway wood set up. Now that I've made this simple adjustment I can work the ball either direction again with ease. It's funny how easy it is to get a little off with one or more parts of your address position and how big an impact a small correction can have on contact and ball flight. The ball is going farther with less spin and my contact is vastly improved. It's going to be fun to actually have enough confidence to hit driver more than 4-5 times each round!

Actually had a decent session today. Range was closed for mowing so spent good 45 min on chipping and 45 min on putting. Then hit a large bucket.

I've put in more time on the range the last few months than I have in 15 years and I stumbled across a set up change that is really helping with the driver, typically my weakest club the past few years. I've moved my hands farther forward and a little higher during the set up and also squared up the face. I had gotten sloppy in my driver set up with a slightly open face at address which required other manipulations during the swing to square up the face. This flaw had also creeped into my fairway wood set up. Now that I've made this simple adjustment I can work the ball either direction again with ease. It's funny how easy it is to get a little off with one or more parts of your address position and how big an impact a small correction can have on contact and ball flight. The ball is going farther with less spin and my contact is vastly improved. It's going to be fun to actually have enough confidence to hit driver more than 4-5 times each round!

I think golfers vastly underestimate the importance of setup.

If you setup in a position that does not match the shot you want to hit, what are your chances of re-routing the club to hit the shot in spite of your setup? Not high.

The wife was busy all day, and I had a day off, so I went to the range twice, played 9 holes, and went and bought a new 3W.

Mainly worked inside of 75 yards, and then with my new 3W. Also got in about 45 minutes of putting.

I had my driver going strong (only hit it during my round), the 3W was striking the ball beautifully, and the 56* was nice as well.

The wife was busy all day, and I had a day off, so I went to the range twice, played 9 holes, and went and bought a new 3W.

Mainly worked inside of 75 yards, and then with my new 3W. Also got in about 45 minutes of putting.

I had my driver going strong (only hit it during my round), the 3W was striking the ball beautifully, and the 56* was nice as well.

Busy Bee

Hit the range after work today. Pulled my irons. Wedges were decent. Driver and hybrid were the best they've been all year, now I just need that to translate to the course.

Played 9 tonight and then took it to the putting green. First hit 60 different pitches from different areas. Used the 58 for 40 of them and the 50 for the other 20. After that I picked out a 10 footer that had a little right to left break to it, and dropped 10 balls. Ran through those 10, 11 times for 110 putts. Made 42 of them which while isn't great, probably is about right for a 10 footer. Was a fun evening. Loving golf right now.

0e2950c9a743828e4e5107845518fb02.jpg

I went out to the range while my wife had her golf lesson and was working on using different wedges to the closest flag 60 yards away. The ground was really soft, so I was struggling hitting them fat at first but I adjusted and was doing ok. I moved up through the bag from there. I sharpied a line on a couple balls and hit my 5 and 6 irons to check the lie. They looked as good as I could hope for without breaking out the protractor. Then I did some driver testing at different loft and practiced some putting for a while. Lovely evening out there!

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Just awful tonight. Maybe my legs were tired from the bike ride, but it didn't go well with the changes the pro made. I had been feeling pretty good about it too.

I worked my ass off on chipping today post round, mainly because I was so good with it in round that it made me want to keep it going. Getting lethal with my AW's.

I worked my ass off on chipping today post round, mainly because I was so good with it in round that it made me want to keep it going. Getting lethal with my AW's.

Nothing better than a solid short game.

Or you could be me yesterday and blade a wedge, hit the pin so hard it drops in for a birdie.

That works too! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you could be me yesterday and blade a wedge, hit the pin so hard it drops in for a birdie.

That works too! Haha

I hat and love that shot, and know it well.

I thinned the shiiiiiiiiiiiiite out of a 58 today from 92 and acted an ass the second I hit it, hit the front mound of the green and rolled to 4 feet. Thank goodness I play alone most days. LOL

I hat and love that shot, and know it well.

I thinned the shiiiiiiiiiiiiite out of a 58 today from 92 and acted an ass the second I hit it, hit the front mound of the green and rolled to 4 feet. Thank goodness I play alone most days. LOL

I love the temper tantrum that turns in to a, "well, that worked out well" shot.

Haha

That works too! Haha

or its brother, when you pick the ball clean out of a bunker and it hits the lip at 100mph, bounces straight up, and lands softly on the green.

Definitely not speaking from experience or anything.

I had a so-so short range session on my lunch break today. Irons from 9i down to 6i were pretty good, but I hit far too many thin. They'd go straight, but lose a good 15-20 yards.

Longer irons were the opposite - fat city. I had to keep reminding myself to slow down and let the club do the work. When I did that, the shots were decent, with a slight fade which is my usual long iron shape. But those shots were few and far between.

Driver... the hooks came back with a vengeance today. I left a bit frustrated.

1 hour this morning pre round chipping w AW, 54, and 58. Also worked open face stuff w the 58.

Didn't hit the range, but just spent a couple of hours on and around the putting green. Lots of putts and working on chipping - something is amiss with it, right now. Some good, some bad. Need to go back for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back