Topping ball help, odd way of hitting it...

RKM25

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else have this issue, or have a remedy. (yes I am taking lessons, and have spoken to the pro about it, but nothing solid has come of it yet) so I thought I'd come to you guys and see what your thoughts might be.

Basically, if I line up the ball in the middle of my stance, with my club head next to it(pitching wedge)(same with most clubs) I will generally top the ball, with varying success.

But, if I have the ball in line with my left foot(right handed) and have my club centered at adress(as if the ball was in the correct place) but obviously looking at the ball when I take my swing, I hit it absolutely perfect 7 times out of 10. The reason for the few miss hits is generally not laying the ball on the correct place in regards to the front of my left foot.

Now I know this isn't normal, and I know it's generally a drill to help you get over the ball. But it's the only thing that seems to work!? Has anyone got any suggestions to What's going on?

My pro last lesson said I am now getting over to my left foot in my swing now which is good, but still I am. Topping...

Any help, thoughts appreciated. I know a video would help.

Does anyone else have this issue, or have a remedy. (yes I am taking lessons, and have spoken to the pro about it, but nothing solid has come of it yet) so I thought I'd come to you guys and see what your thoughts might be.

Basically, if I line up the ball in the middle of my stance, with my club head next to it(pitching wedge)(same with most clubs) I will generally top the ball, with varying success.

But, if I have the ball in line with my left foot(right handed) and have my club centered at adress(as if the ball was in the correct place) but obviously looking at the ball when I take my swing, I hit it absolutely perfect 7 times out of 10. The reason for the few miss hits is generally not laying the ball on the correct place in regards to the front of my left foot.

Now I know this isn't normal, and I know it's generally a drill to help you get over the ball. But it's the only thing that seems to work!? Has anyone got any suggestions to What's going on?

My pro last lesson said I am now getting over to my left foot in my swing now which is good, but still I am. Topping...

Any help, thoughts appreciated. I know a video would help.

l would suggest you reconsider your notion of "correct" ball position. Some pretty good players over the years, Nicklaus and Hogan to name two, played all their standard shots off the front foot. So if that's working for you, regardless of where you set the clubhead at address, why fight it? :banghead:

what helped for me was to focus on relaxing my arms on the down swing. I stopped trying to kill the ball and just let the club swing and try to feel my arms fully extend downwards.

I moved my ball forward and it has cut down the amount I top the ball dramatically. I still pull my head from time to time which causes me to top the ball though.

I would slow down my swing. Start with 1/3 then 1/2 and finally 3/4. Swing slow until 100 in a row wirhout topping.

Maybe you're swaying to the left as you swing down, instead of turning. As you sway, the bottom of your arc moves forward, making your clubhead still on its way down as you contact the ball. Try doing your backswing more around you than to your right.

As a drill, line up the ball center of your stance, take your right foot a step back and stand on the toe on the right foot, make smooth easy swings and hit the ball, this will help with your turn and your arc to bottom at the center where the ball is.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back