New HC Rule, following or not?

I'm torn on the idea of no solo rounds.
I guess I have to play with THP'ers more!

Everyone wins!

New HC Rule, following or not?

I play by the rules whether I agree or not. So I no longer post my solo scores.

But, to be honest, I play more often with people this year than I had last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So those that have used an anchored stroke for 30+ years should do the same? Honestly, I'm not defending the rule at all but for those that play straight and have a HC I find it odd that this is the one that breaks the camel's back.

It's odd that some of us who have played by the rules for decades are offended that the USGA is now telling us that it suddenly doesn't trust us? Or only trusts us only when we're playing with another homo sapien, regardless of their understanding (or lack of) the rules. Someone please explain to me why a round with a 3 year old can be posted but one alone can't. I think it's strange that you think that those golfers who play with integrity and respect for the rules of golf wouldn't be offended.

To me this makes less sense than the federal speed limit law of 55 mph and I didn't follow that law either. Hopefully the USGA will get rid of this one quicker than the 21 years it took Congress to get rid of that law.

It's odd that some of us who have played by the rules for decades are offended that the USGA is now telling us that it suddenly doesn't trust us? Or only trusts us only when we're playing with another homo sapien, regardless of their understanding (or lack of) the rules. Someone please explain to me why a round with a 3 year old can be posted but one alone can't. I think it's strange that you think that those golfers who play with integrity and respect for the rules of golf wouldn't be offended.

To me this makes less sense than the federal speed limit law of 55 mph. I didn't follow that law either. Hopefully the USGA will get rid of this one quicker than the 21 years it took Congress to get rid of that law.

I'd be surprised if this 'rule' stays around longer than two seasons. It simply doesn't make sense.

To me this makes less sense than the federal speed limit law of 55 mph and I didn't follow that law either. Hopefully the USGA will get rid of this one quicker than the 21 years it took Congress to get rid of that law.

I didn't say anything about anyone being offended. Speed all you want, you're not posting anywhere what speed you're driving for a HC. The anchored rule is just as dumb, IMO. There is a thread recently started about divots which is also dumb. This one is still a rule from the governing body that many say they are not gonna follow. Why follow any?

Again, I don't keep a HC and do my own thing so just observations...

I suspect, with absolutely zero inside information, this rule is a step towards moving towards the European system, where only tournament rounds can be posted. Now, I think it will take a LONG time to get there, but I suspect that's desired direction to address the sandbagging problem.

I didn't say anything about anyone being offended. Speed all you want, you're not posting anywhere what speed you're driving for a HC. The anchored rule is just as dumb, IMO. There is a thread recently started about divots which is also dumb. This one is still a rule from the governing body that many say they are not gonna follow. Why follow any?

I'll give you at least my perspective on "why follow any".

If I'm serious enough to call what I play Golf and carry an official handicap IMO I should also follow the rules of golf. Up until this year I've followed all the rules because I grew up following them and they are in my DNA. Even on the rare occasion that I hit a mulligan on the first tee I still play my first ball, it's just the way it's always been for me, kinda like brushing my teeth twice a day. Until very recently all the rules made sense to me(maybe because I learned them at such a young age) so they were easy to obey. Now suddenly we have 2 rules that don't make sense to me. Since I don't use a long or belly putter anymore I didn't really care when the ban went in place, as silly as it is. When I'm old and my back is bad I'll play a long putter, rules be damned, if it gives me relief or the ability to play more. This newest rule about not posting solo rounds is a joke, especially for someone like me who has played exactly zero handicapped tournaments in the last 20 years and only a handful in the last 38 years. The main reasons I record all my rounds is to track how I'm doing and also simply to know how many rounds I've played. I'll also play in a few "scratch" tournaments against other clubs in the area this year and you have to be below a 3 index to qualify even though handicaps are not used during the match. Now the USGA steps in and tells me I can't post my alone rounds because I might be a cheating sandbagger. I should be thanking them, and sort of did with the letter I sent to them. They just saved me the expense and hassle of sending them $250 each year for a USGA bag tag and some trinkets. It's going to be strange not seeing that USGA tag on my bag anymore. :act-up:

I wish we could turn in solo rounds in Aus. Every Thursday night I play 18 over summer alone rarely can find someone that the time suits for. So many rounds I could have turned in. I definitely think the change your going through is anti player in that as peoples mie is more stretched sometimes a solo round is the only one you can play.

I'll be posting. I rarely play in tourneys anymore and keep my index mostly to judge my own progress.

I dunno, I always post all of my scores, i think this won't be any different. Maybe when i play alone i'll just play more than one ball

I dunno, I always post all of my scores, i think this won't be any different. Maybe when i play alone i'll just play more than one ball

That's usually what I do anyway. I'm either waiting, or the course is completely empty, so I use it as a practice round.

I won't be not a chance. I post every post-able score good or bad. I don't cheat either way and I won't have a problem sleeping knowing that I posted a score when playing solo because I will be posting what I shot.

I'm with Jimmy, I find it hard to believe that they felt this was a good move. Does anyone know the penalty for posting solo rounds and then playing in USGA events with those rounds counting toward your cap!

I suspect, with absolutely zero inside information, this rule is a step towards moving towards the European system, where only tournament rounds can be posted. Now, I think it will take a LONG time to get there, but I suspect that's desired direction to address the sandbagging problem.
But there are rules already in place to address sandbagging, if the tournament committee's pay attention and use them.

If they go this route, I'll never have a handicap because I doubt I'll ever play in a tournament.

I don't play a lot of solo rounds but I'm probably going to count the rounds I do.

The USGA can kiss my ass on this one, I'll post rounds just like always.

I'm with Jman on this one. It's a ridiculous rule.

I play several rounds a year after work by myself and I always post them. I'm not going to change that.

I"ll be posting every round on OOB so I can track my 'cap.

Yep, I'll post all rounds.

I am trying to understand the reasoning or need for this new rule...IMO perhaps with so many trying to post a low hcp's to qualify to enter Tourneys, would this may keep the entries undoubtedly fair?

Last edited:
I will most likely continue to post all my rounds to US Handicap even if I happen to play alone.

I am trying to understand the reasoning or need for this new rule...IMO perhaps with so many trying to post a low hcp's to qualify to enter Tourneys, would this may keep the entries undoubtedly fair?

I think it's a well-intentioned, but ill-conceived way to try to do something to address the sandbagging problem, which golfers have complained about vociferously for many years. And, as previously stated, a stepping stone towards being allowed to only post tournament scores. That said, I think it creates more problems than it solves.

I'll be with the USGA's Senior Director of Rules and Amateur Status on Monday, and while he's not on the handicap side, I'm certainly going to ask him what he knows about the rationalization for the change.

Depends on how I play my solo round. Usually it's a practice type situation and I'm hitting multiple balls and such, which is not postable. If I played real golf by myself I would have to think about it!

Back