UST Mamiya Elements Helium Shaft Review Thread

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With all the Elements Helium shafts that UST Mamiya is giving away recently, I hope there are a lot of THPers ready to provide feedback on them. This thread will serve as a place for comments and feedback from all the people lucky enough to get one.

While attending the first THP UST Mamiya Shaft Spectacular (link to live update thread), I was fortunate enough to test and receive an Elements Helium prototype shaft.

I will work on getting some better photos in the next week or so, but here are a few to give you an idea of what the current prototype looks like (the blue shafts are the Element Heliums protos in the first two photos).

a5fcf20c499bd546703affc745ecda36.jpg

5b8383c05aa216348adff0d3ce8fb2b8.jpg

8e376c62773ac3628a14da3931de4cb0.jpg

Since this model is still in the prototype phase and not fully released to retail yet, I asked Danny at UST Mamiya for some additional info that I could share in this review. Here is what he told me about the features, availability and options of the Helium line.

• Lower Resin Carbon Fiber
    • We are able to reduce additional weight by using 25% less resin. The lower resin content reduces overall weight but adds stability (stiffness) with enhanced feel.

• Counterbalanced Design
    • The shaft is counterbalanced to work well with today's heavier driver heads and the longer length of modern drivers to provide a reasonable swing weight.

• Improved Stiffness Profile
    • We are able to increase stiffness across the entire shaft to provide additional stability in a light weight package and improved shot dispersion.

• Availability (as of March 2016): We have these available in very limited quantities through our TSPX Dealer Network. Looks for retail release in 2017.

• Weight and stiffness options:
    • 49g F2 (A) / F3 (R) / F4 (S)
    • 59g F3 (R) / F4 (S) / F5 (X)

I am playing the HE5F4, which translates to 59g S (edit: fixed weight, from 49g to 59g). I have played two rounds and had a couple range sessions with the Helium installed in the new Callaway XR 16 driver head that I received from UST Mamiya. I won't comment much on the looks of the shaft since it's unlikely the simple design on my proto is the final design, but I actually like the look of it a lot. It looks great with the red & blue color scheme of the XR 16, and it just looks simple and classy in all the best ways.

Looks don't matter, though, if it feels bad. I'm happy to report that it feels outstanding. This is obviously completely subjective, but it might be helpful to you to know that my swing speed was around 95 during my fitting a couple months ago although when Danny was fitting me last month during the Shaft Spectacular event, I was only hitting around 90. So, for someone with a 90-95ish swing, the HE5F4 shaft doesn't feel too light or whippy at all. The stiffness and weight combo works really well for me and feels great. It's stable and (along with the XR 16) has produced some great tee shots for me recently. In a recent round, I was keeping up with my consistently-hits-longer-than-me uncle-in-law way more than I usually do, and I had some of my longest drives ever on that course. I didn't measure many of the drives, but I'm fairly certain they were carrying around 220-230 and rolling out to 250+ when I hit a good one in the fairway. With the 9* driver head, I liked the launch and flight I was getting during the round and on the range for about an hour afterwards.

By the way, when Nate and I played with Danny and Lindsay from UST Mamiya, Danny was playing the 59g Helium in S or XS, and he was bombing it as far as Nate (around 300 yds). I only point this out to make doubters realize that lightweight isn't just for slower swingers / shorter hitters...at least when it comes to Helium. :D

I don't have a lot of time in yet with the Helium, but I am enjoying it immensely. I will add more thoughts in the coming weeks as I get more swings with it.

I am hoping to get some time on a launch monitor soon so I can compare this shaft to the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black TiNi R 50g shaft that I have in my Callaway Great Big Bertha driver. If and when that happens, I will report back comparisons on swing speed, launch, etc.

Thanks for reading and please post up your thoughts on the Elements Helium if you've won one during the Shaft Spectacular live update thread giveaways or from UST Mamiya's other giveaways. Let me know if you have any questions about the Helium shaft.

--Updates-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post added 3/16/2016: Brief thoughts about last round and a couple photos with shaft installed in XR 16.

Post added 3/17/2016: Q&A with Danny Le about prototyping process.

Post added 4/3/2016: Photos of custom Helium in GBB and some thoughts on that combo.

Last edited:
Great initial thoughts Shane, as well as info from Danny. I'm looking forward to contributing as well.

Nice info Shane. Looking forward to your thoughts as you play more with this shaft.

Great info Shane and really well written. Definitely will be following along and hope to have the opportunity to add some thoughts.

Good info Shane! I will keep track of this as it goes along for future reference!

Nice post and info Shane!

Being a gamer of the Tini myself I look forward to the numbers that you are able to capture via monitor. Hope I get to hit this one soon.

Nice little write up! That blue design is really clean, simple and looks great!

Nice write up Shane!

love the info. keep it up!

Excellent Shane! I hope it treats you well this spring/summer and look forward in hearing about your journey.

I am loving the Elements Platinum Proto that I received at our outing and has done wonders for my tee game.

Enjoyed the write up Shane. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this.

Excellent, Shane.

I try to go lighter at 53g, but dispersion can go awry. If UST has resolved that issue, great.

At 95 speed, you may want to borrow a KK Back Tini 50 Stiff for comparison.

Again, nice shaft. UST makes great shafts.

Im excited for THPers to be at UST every single month.
Getting fit by an expert, getting free gear and all at an amazing cost of ZERO Dollars.

Getting fit by an expert, getting free gear and all at an amazing cost of ZERO Dollars.

ZERO dollars is almost calling it a free event.

Oh....wait.

Kudos to you and Nate for doing a great job on post event product reviews.

Does not compute..........Does not compute...........overload, overload! :D

It's pretty simple really.

Thank you all for the feedback. I look forward to using this shaft more and providing more feedback.

I agree that when you go lighter, dispersion can increase. That is why we have been through different iterations of Elements Helium to get the right profile for feel, dispersion and better ball speeds. The initial Prototypes we did last year have evolved to what you see currently. We have modified the stiffness profile with each different version to make sure we have the feel and dispersion down. I am excited about this product from all the testing we have done.

On a personal note, I am playing the Elements Helium 5F5 (X) at 46.5" and hitting it longer and dispersion has not suffered at all.

Danny

Excellent, Shane.

I try to go lighter at 53g, but dispersion can go awry. If UST has resolved that issue, great.

At 95 speed, you may want to borrow a KK Back Tini 50 Stiff for comparison.

Again, nice shaft. UST makes great shafts.

I agree that when you go lighter, dispersion can increase. That is why we have been through different iterations of Elements Helium to get the right profile for feel, dispersion and better ball speeds. The initial Prototypes we did last year have evolved to what you see currently. We have modified the stiffness profile with each different version to make sure we have the feel and dispersion down. I am excited about this product from all the testing we have done.

On a personal note, I am playing the Elements Helium 5F5 (X) at 46.5" and hitting it longer and dispersion has not suffered at all.

Danny
That's cool too great because the shafts we got last year are awesome, I still game mine, but I love the feel of that shaft and I feel like the dispersion could be a little better but all in all its still a really solid shaft especially at that weight.

You hit it a mile is all I remember and the look on your face when we hit out on the range was priceless! I think you should try the 59X.

Danny

That's cool too great because the shafts we got last year are awesome, I still game mine, but I love the feel of that shaft and I feel like the dispersion could be a little better but all in all its still a really solid shaft especially at that weight.

Great review/write up Shane...keep up the good work!

Wow Shane, that was a good first look. I am interested in this shaft for a fairway wood.

Danny

Thanks, Danny!

Great to know.

It is really good in the fairway woods. I typically play a little heavier in the fairway woods, but I was hitting the driver shaft so well I gave it a go. I have it in my 13 and 16 fairway woods and I am not going back.

Danny

Wow Shane, that was a good first look. I am interested in this shaft for a fairway wood.

This thread is definitely making me more excited to get this in play, which I didn't think was possible.

Back