Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

Did you order it right from Callaway? I am waiting on one as well and on Wednesday they said it is backordered till first week of July :(
Ordered through global golf.

Got a custom 58* ordered this morning, so now the waiting begins. I hope to have it before Branson, or at least before KC, because I could use the help.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it over your Bridgestone wedges

If anyone wants to move on from their 58* or 60*... I am your guy!

Is the issue what can be traded in, or what it can be traded in on?

I was able to get the 50% on one of these with no problem.

50% bonus is "supposed" to only apply to like for like. Trading in a hybrid for a hybrid for example.

If trading in hybrid for wedge then bonus doesn't apply.

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

Got a LH 60* yesterday and had an opportunity to mess around with it. My thought is that it is a picker's delight. When I tried to dig, it got a little grabby. However, you can really lay it wide open and the visual is much better than my "traditional" 60* Mack Daddy. Like earlier posters, I did have to remind myself to commit to the shot I dreamt up. That may take some time because I am not a flopper. One thing that stands out to me is that it felt lighter than I expected and on full shots it went a little bit longer than my usual yardage. That may be contrary to other's input here IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen it mentioned. What bounce has everyone been going for with these?

Haven't seen it mentioned. What bounce has everyone been going for with these?

Each loft only has one bounce option, the grind on the sole provides versatility to open and close the face depending on the shot you need to play.

Got a LH 60* yesterday and had an opportunity to mess around with it. My thought is that it is a picker's delight. When I tried to dig, it got a little grabby. However, you can really lay it wide open and the visual is much better than my "traditional" 60* Mack Daddy. Like earlier posters, I did have to remind myself to commit to the shot I dreamt up. That may take some time because I am not a flopper. One thing that stands out to me is that it felt lighter than I expected and on full shots it went a little bit longer than my usual yardage. That may be contrary to other's input here IIRC.

Same here, 60 degree left handed. I don't think there is a 58 in lefty.

My experiences are much the same as yours, I'm a sweeper but do take a little dirt with wedges and the club is excellent for that aspect. And, I too, find it a little higher and longer than the Vokey 60 that it replaces. Also, agree it feels lighter than expected.

I would add that it is extremely forgiving and great out of rough. Last time out, playing with a gimpy back, I had a decent lie in the rough, put a horrible swing hitting to a pin with water all around from 77 yards. It one-hopped into the hole to save a birdie. Same shot with the Vokey wedge would have been wet.

Contrary to the above, I do not believe the PM Grind is a picker's grind. I've played the PM grind before in a "tour authentic" Phil grind. But it will work for pickers on delicate shots due to the nature of shots around the green.

Watch some of Phil's short game DVD pirated on youtube - it's all over the place.

On delicate short game shots, you do have to come in wider to utilize the bounce of the club and to give yourself room for error (from Stan Utley and others). And you've got to have the ball position more forward than out of date instruction...

If you come in narrow on a delicate shot, or set the ball back in your stance, you are going to have inconsistency, to say the least. Maybe that is why the club drags a little for you. I don't care what the old guys or commentators on TGC say, putting the ball back works in specific situations but for most chips and pitching, utilize the bounce and loft of your LW for greater success with your setup.

Of course, if you have a wedge with a high leading edge and >9 of bounce (see Vokey), then you are going to have issues on tight lies unless your hands are forward or the ball is back. But that is the wedge's problem, and then it becomes your problem because you are limited. From memory, and from what they've said about the PM grind, the bounce is designed so the leading edge sits low and is dulled so you can get that edge under the ball, and the bounce engage afterwards.

Even though they do not teach as a team any longer, see Grant Waite's video on the simple pitch and utilizing bounce. Jump to 0:30 to cut out Joe's intro.

Last edited:
Same here, 60 degree left handed. I don't think there is a 58 in lefty.

My experiences are much the same as yours, I'm a sweeper but do take a little dirt with wedges and the club is excellent for that aspect. And, I too, find it a little higher and longer than the Vokey 60 that it replaces. Also, agree it feels lighter than expected.

I would add that it is extremely forgiving and great out of rough. Last time out, playing with a gimpy back, I had a decent lie in the rough, put a horrible swing hitting to a pin with water all around from 77 yards. It one-hopped into the hole to save a birdie. Same shot with the Vokey wedge would have been wet.

Sounds like this is something I need to put on my check it out list! I would like to have a 54 degree in this wedge but not sure if it comes that way?

It looks like 56, 58, 60, and 64 for right hand clubs.

Each loft only has one bounce option, the grind on the sole provides versatility to open and close the face depending on the shot you need to play.
Ahh. Thanks. That simplifies things.

I got my 60* Mack Daddy PM grind yesterday, and used it for the first time today. I only hit two chips with it on the practice green before going out to start my round. The first chip was pin high a couple of inches to the right of the cup, and the second I chipped in. The second hole was my first time using it on the course when I used it for a pitch shot. I under estimated how long and aggressive a swing to make with it. (I've seen a few other posters mention this too. I'm also used to using a 58*, so it will probably take a couple of rounds to get an idea of the length of swing I'll need to make the 60* PM fly pitches fly particular distances). Even though my aggressiveness was lacking (and cased me to be shot of the hole, but still on the green) on the shot the one thing I noticed right away after hitting the shot was how nicely the sole of the club slid along/threw the turf. On the 13th hole I hit my approach slightly long and threw the green, and had a short downhill chip where I opened the face a bit and proceeded to hit the chip to three inches from the hole.

I went in two green side bunkers this morning. The first of the two bunkers I had the ball above my feet, and hit it to less than four feet from the cup. The second green side bunker I hit it out of the ball was on a slight up-slope, and I flew it about a foot or two to the left of the pin and slightly past (by maybe a foot or two), and spun it to the right and back to inside 6 inches. (Something I haven't done in years). The bunker shots came out nice and high with excellent spin levels, also something I haven't had on my green side sand shots in awhile. Some of that may be attributable to the fact I've been playing with the old wedges for a long time, and I've probably worn them down a bit. While on the subject of wear - the face has a very soft feel at impact, and both the sand shots left scuffs on the face (sand burn). I've seen it mentioned before in the thread, and like the other poster who mentioned it I attribute it to the rough texture (aka low quality) of the sand used at the country club I play at. I feel the sole of the wedge deserves some credit too. The sole is very versatile, and works well when setup both square and also with an open club-face.

I went into this mornings round with this new wedge, and the new Callaway mini-driver expecting this wedge to perform how I'd normally expect a wedge to preform (nothing exciting with decent results), and expected the mini-driver to be the more impressive of the two. However, I found the opposite to be true (granted I didn't use the mini-driver for very many shots). The wedge was very impressive, and even though I'm know to my playing partners as a good chipper and very good bunker player they were still impressed by the shots I hit with the wedge today.

After just one round with the wedge I'm definitely considering replacing my sand wedge (54*) with the Mack Daddy PM-grind (56*) wedge as well to go with the new 60*. (Looks like the 56* are currently on back-order for 1-2 weeks, so I've got time to contemplate it further). I may play another nine holes with the 60* tomorrow as well. If I do, and play any types of shots I didn't use today (ex: flop shots) I'll add my impressions afterwards.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even though they are only supposed to be 1* different in bounce the sole/flange of the Callaway makes the leading edge lay very different when the face is completely opened to face the sky.

Attachments

• Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges face open flange view.jpg
    Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges face open flange view.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges face open above.jpg
    Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges face open above.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges above view.jpg
    Xft and mack daddy pm lob wedges above view.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PM grind and Xtf lob wedges.jpg
    PM grind and Xtf lob wedges.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Played today and used this wedge on 50 yard pitches, a few green Side bunkers and some chips.

As as many have said you absolutely must commit to your shot. On the first hole I flubbed a chip and on one bunker shot the same happened. The ball does get up very very easily however and on sand shots the "thud" sound is perfect.

The he face is very very soft and marks very easily I will say though. Something I will need to get used to....

The 58 strikes again (and again, and again)

3 sand saves of 4 chances. Three. In a single round.

Dropping bombs straight down on the flag from 50-90 yards, resulting in a big reduction in putts to 27. 1.5 per hole.

On the 17th hole, my partner finally got pissed off enough to demand to try it out for a few balls since nobody was behind us.

PM, I <3 you.

Really intrigued by these, but want a 54 and not a fan of bending wedges to get to a loft. Any word on if they will eventually come out with a 54?

I may play another nine holes with the 60* tomorrow as well. If I do, and play any types of shots I didn't use today (ex: flop shots) I'll add my impressions afterwards.

I was able to play nine holes with it on Sunday morning, and it continued to preform like it did the previous day (didn't hit in any bunkers today, so I don't have any more to add on that subject at this time). Chips and pitches continued to bite quickly after landing with little roll out. I made one full swing shot with it with a square clubface today, and as I expected it carries about 10 yards shorter than my previous 58* wedge did. (All of you people saying you use this club from 90-100 yards must me delofting the $@%! out of it, because I don't buy for a second that you guys have anywhere near tour pro swing/ball speeds). I used it for one very high pitch shot out of the rough Sunday, and again it preformed well. The leading edge and bounce have given the perfect amount of turf interaction with everything I've hit so far. I'm still debating ordering a 56* at some point, but I feel there is no rush as this works well for every short game shot I've needed to hit as of yet. I've had no reason to use my current sand wedge (54*) during the previous two rounds except for when I need to use it to hit full shots into the green on distances where a full swing with the lob would be too short, or a full swing with the gap (50*) would be too long.

Really intrigued by these, but want a 54 and not a fan of bending wedges to get to a loft. Any word on if they will eventually come out with a 54?

From what I've heard they currently have no intention of offering it in any loft less than 56*. Apparently they weren't originally going to offer a 56*, but after Phil requested they make one for him they changed their minds. Having said that this wedge seems to be selling very well so far, so if they want to ride on the good sales/hype of the rest of the PM grind wedges its not unthinkable. (I wouldn't hold my breath though).

Last edited:
Followed Phil around at Memphis yesterday and it looked like he had two, maybe three in the bag. All were slate. They all looked just about the same length, but that could've been how they were sitting in the bag. Wish I could've gotten some pictures, but they preannounced on every tee for people to put away cameras/cell phones on every shot. Snuck a couple distance shots off though.

I would've hated being in the group ahead of him. The crowds rushed to stay ahead of his group and the players ahead had to step off of shots several times.
28ef4cac3144c67cbb123fb92d5b5a04.jpg

Followed Phil around at Memphis yesterday and it looked like he had two, maybe three in the bag. All were slate. They all looked just about the same length, but that could've been how they were sitting in the bag. Wish I could've gotten some pictures, but they preannounced on every tee for people to put away cameras/cell phones on every shot. Snuck a couple distance shots off though.

I would've hated being in the group ahead of him. The crowds rushed to stay ahead of his group and the players ahead had to step off of shots several times.
28ef4cac3144c67cbb123fb92d5b5a04.jpg

Thats awesome! Last I saw, Phil had 3 - 56, 60 & the mighty 64.

This was a round saver today for me, I scrambled all day and this just put me in for make able par and bogey putts for me on a bunch of occasions today. Shot an 83 that easily could of been an 88.

I had the 64 in the bag today. What a fun club! Just have to remember to be aggressive with it. Ball checks up quickly

I had the 64 in the bag today. What a fun club! Just have to remember to be aggressive with it. Ball checks up quickly

It really is a ton of fun.

I've not been playing it a lot bc of review duties, but I hit it a couple times each round/range-session and I've had a lot of fun shots with it.

I really need my PM grind wedge to get here. My chipping game has fallen off big time and I need all the help I can get.

For those that did not see Harry's flash Q&A thread:

PM%20Grinds_zpsi6wmab81.jpg

Back