Six4three5 switching teachers!

The left stick was for path and he wanted me in between both sticks for face angle. When we first started he had them really exaggerated so I could really feel swinging left and then gradually worked to trying to get to the 0 number on the Trackman while leaving the club face square at 0 as well. It was definitely challenging. Especially when I didn't even know I was shutting the club face before.

We have a teacher at our course who uses Trackman to teach. I would love to take lessons from him one day but it's not in our budget right now.

Third lesson is in the books.

Working on hitting fades and keeping the club face squared during the week on the simulator was evident today. Warmed up a bit and got right to work.

I was swinging pretty far left to start. Numbers were between -2.0 and -2.5. Brian was excited that I was working on swinging left. Club face was still more shut than he liked tho. Numbers were -1.9 to -2.2. Which it's hard to envision or think about about, but two negatives can actually make a positive side spin and cause a fade. So with what I was working on what I thought was good, actually wasn't that great.

Brian wanted me to work on trying to get my swing path back to zero, more straight vs going left. It took a few swings to get that swing to feel comfortable but once it was it was pretty easy to stay between -0.5 and +0.5. However I still struggled with keeping the club face square. I was still closing it quite a bit and struggled trying to get that back to 0. When I would try and think about keeping the club square 1 of 2 things kept happening to me. I'd over exaggerate it and open to club face way too much. Or I'd revert back to the swinging left. Towards the end I zeroed out both on a few of them, but it's definitely going to take some work and some drills to keep the club face square for me. I didn't have the best ball striking day today either. I felt like I was catching everything a little fat and high on the club face. More work this week on trying to swing more neutral and keeping that club face square!

stay with it and enjoy the work

Good work buddy. Old habits can be tough to break. No doubt you'll get it.

Looking forward to following this more intently. I didn't think Jimmy Numbers needed to get better though

Looking forward to following this more intently. I didn't think Jimmy Numbers needed to get better though
Haha thanks for the kind words buddy! I'm very comfortable with some parts of my game and uncomfortable with others. I hope to complete my game and have as little weaknesses as possible.

Well 4th lesson is in the books! Lesson was Saturday morning and it has gone much better than the practice I've been putting in lately.

Got there a little earlier to warm up again so we could go right to work. First thing I noticed was I was striking the ball much better with the more neutral path than I was the few days I was practicing leading up to the lesson. By the time my lesson came around I was fully warmed up and my path was really really good. For the most my path was pretty much always 0 to -1.5 so either neutral or just a touch swinging to the left. If I went anything further than -1.5 left I would get too steep and start hitting them chunky. Face angle was still too closed. At the beginning my face angle was between -0.9 and -2.4 so still too closed.

At this time we took a little break from full swings and did some drills on keeping the face square on impact. One was setup to the ball at impact position and rotate my body and arms through as if I just struck the golf ball. This gave instance feed back on whether or not my path/face angle was correct. If my arms would be completely extended out on the follow through and the toe of my club would be pointed right up the ball went straight. If it was pointed left (closed) the ball would go left and if it was pointed right (open), it'd go right.

After getting proficient at that we would put the ball on the tee and put a very very small swing on it from a fixed position near the bottom and eventually worked up to full swings. Towards the end of the lesson I started getting a bunch of 0's on both face angle and path and started striking the ball much better. It's really excited to hear him say that I'm learning much much quicker than he anticipated. Also I'm really glad I decided to go to him over the winter because he said if it was the summer he never would have put me through the program he is because he knows it's going to take time to work for me.

Been working on the impact drill of just rotating my body and arms through from impact to work on keeping the ball straight and cannot wait to get back Saturday for my next lesson after having an encouraging lesson after struggling for a bit!

Good deal Jimmy..glad things are falling into place. The hard work is paying off. Keep at it and here is to continued success

Good deal Jimmy..glad things are falling into place. The hard work is paying off. Keep at it and here is to continued success

Thanks buddy! He was telling how he was amazed at how quickly I was adjusting to the changes and making them work. He said he works for a few mini tour guys and he was saying how even them take time to make the adjustments I was making which is very encouraging. He's told me since day one he's not the type to blow smoke either, he said if I come in and have a rough day he'll tell me right up front so it's nice and even more motivating to commit to the changes.

Thanks buddy! He was telling how he was amazed at how quickly I was adjusting to the changes and making them work. He said he works for a few mini tour guys and he was saying how even them take time to make the adjustments I was making which is very encouraging. He's told me since day one he's not the type to blow smoke either, he said if I come in and have a rough day he'll tell me right up front so it's nice and even more motivating to commit to the changes.

Thats good to hear. You definitely made the right choice in instructors. I'm going to grab some lessons after the holidays. My try out a new instructor for a different voice, as I seem to regress a little as the year goes on, maybe hearing it a different way will work. Anyways enough about me...good luck on the continuing improvement

practice as much as you can while your working at the 'creek

I'm really enjoying following along in this thread. So much so it's convinced me to get some instruction for myself. You've inspired me Jimmy. ?

I'm really enjoying following along in this thread. So much so it's convinced me to get some instruction for myself. You've inspired me Jimmy. ?
I'm glad I could!! I believe there's nothing that can help someone's game as proper instruction!!

Enjoying this a lot! I've switched instructors too and started working on a more neutral swing. Glad to see this is all working for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well 5th lesson is in the books!!

Warmed up a bit and then went through the Trackman Combine again before getting to work. Brian likes doing the combine once every 5 lessons to get an idea on how things are progressing.

My overall total score I believe was 69.5 so I actually went down 2 points but it was more distance control that was hurting me than left or right. I struggled with getting the wedge distances correct and kept hitting all my wedges long. But I was striking the ball really well and hitting the ball left or right at will so that was encouraging.

After the combine we started working again and I have pretty much zeroed out my plane but still need work on face angle. What was exciting was that on Saturday during the lesson my face angle was always open to the path instead of closed and that's exactly what Brian wanted to see. He said because I was shutting it so severely when I got there he wanted me to work on things that would have me open the club face and now that he's got me there he said it will be like nothing to get me to square. He was texting me the other night telling me how I'm progressing so much quicker than he anticipated. I can't wait to get back Sunday morning.

Sounds like you are making some great progress so far.

What is the trackman combine?

Sounds like you are making some great progress so far.

What is the trackman combine?
60 shots total.

6 at each target started at 60yds moving to 70yds then 80yds then 90yds then 100yds then 120yds then 140yds then 160yds then 180yds then 6 drives and it gives you a score based on carry distance and how far off line you are. It's a really neat practice tool.

Good work there. Progress sound real good. The combine is a blast. My instructor used it last year at the beginning of our lessons. I want to go through again next time I take lessons.

Happy things are going good with what you are doing in regards to what your teacher wants

60 shots total.

6 at each target started at 60yds moving to 70yds then 80yds then 90yds then 100yds then 120yds then 140yds then 160yds then 180yds then 6 drives and it gives you a score based on carry distance and how far off line you are. It's a really neat practice tool.

I like that idea and sounds like a ton of fun as well

I like that idea and sounds like a ton of fun as well
It's really fun and really challenging as well. I think it would be easier outside being able to see your targets. Score of 65-75 puts me at the 5-3 handicap based on their numbers which is deadly accurate to where I'm at. Some of the scores submitted are crazy high for this week I think the highest submitted to Trackman was 87. Apparently Dufner has gotten above a 95 but he doesn't submit his numbers.

Agreed outside would probably be easier but if you can learn the feel of those distance I think you'll be better for it.

How many clubs do you use to accomplish the challenge? 6?

Agreed outside would probably be easier but if you can learn the feel of those distance I think you'll be better for it.

How many clubs do you use to accomplish the challenge? 6?

60* Wedge for 60yds & 70yds
54* Wedge for 80yds & 90yds & 100 yds
48* Wedge for 120yds
9 Iron for 140yds
7 Iron for 160yds
5 Iron for 180yds
Driver for the drives.

So I use 7. I need to get better on distance control between the 60* wedge and 54* wedge. Seem to be a bit long on both of those, but that could be because I'm getting better at squaring the face and gaining a little distance.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity Jimmy. What is your average driver distance?

Just to satisfy my own curiosity Jimmy. What is your average driver distance?
Average carry for me is between 255-260. Every once in a while I can pop one out to 270 carry if the swing syncs up perfectly and I hit the center of the club face. My fiance is an athletic trainer and a personal trainer and we're starting a golf workout program she drew up for me this week. I'd like to get faster swing to hopefully pick up some distance. My swing speed is generally right about 100 for the driver and average ball speed is 149 so my smash factor at 1.49 is really good, just need to work on getting stronger and quicker to find some more SS.

Back