Low and Left after impact

TXGolfr

Foreputt
Reaction score
I have a question that I've been wondering about for a bit: Does every good golfer keep their hands low and left after impact? Or do some "chase" toward the target? Can you golfers with some knowledge please educate me on how to prevent the ball from going right and still keep hands low and left after impact? Obviously my brain tells me to chase the ball toward the target to keep the clubface square as long as possible, but I also know that so many golfers/instructors advise against that.

Last edited:
why would you want to keep the clubface square to the target as long as possible? I would think you only want to keep the face square to the plane, and the plane moves left after impact because you're swinging on inclined plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do get what you're saying, especially in a perfect world, but it's just that the room for error at impact is so small and if the path/plane moves left a bit too early you're screwed and off the ball goes to the right. On the other hand if you follow the clubface a tiny bit longer to the target, it seems you'd be giving yourself a little more leeway.

I have another question for you...if our swing planes are naturally going left after impact, which I 100% understand and agree with, then why do people need to be reminded to keep left? Is it because some golfers tend to let their arms escape/disconnect from their bodies? Also, if it's after impact, does it really matter where the hands end up? Or is it more to get the sense of keeping everything (hips, torso, shoulders, not just the hands...rotating left)?

why would you want to keep the clubface square to the target as long as possible? I would think you only want to keep the face square to the plane, and the plane moves left after impact because you're swinging on inclined plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct, the club face is square for a second if we are lucky. The chase comes from the right side chasing down the line. The club is moving left.

I have a question that I've been wondering about for a bit: Does every good golfer keep their hands low and left after impact? Or do some "chase" toward the target? Can you golfers with some knowledge please educate me on how to prevent the ball from going right and still keep hands low and left after impact? Obviously my brain tells me to chase the ball toward the target to keep the clubface square as long as possible, but I also know that so many golfers/instructors advise against that.

This is about your ball going right. Perhaps the lie angle of your club is too upright at impact.

I try to brush the turf during practice swings with the toe down, to flatten the lie angle, and it keeps my shots from going right.

Back