The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some inside work in the garage with foam balls. Those who've seen my swing thread know that I need to swing low and easy otherwise I'll hit the ceiling or my car :beat-up:

I like swinging inside because it forces me to only do a 9-3 swing or at most, 10-2 and I am notorious for still overswinging at times. I took some video and noticed that what feels like me bringing my hands to my hips is still more like almost shoulder height (a normal backswing). And I'm still fighting a very small sway. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but it's still there, and that's with feeling like I'm swinging into my upper right thigh. Definitely have a lot more work to do this winter, but I'm on the right track.

Hit two full buckets from the sand (about 160 balls), two buckets of chipping, then putting green for about 1/2 hr.
Grass is long and greens are slow. But it is great weather here - 74!!

Got to hit a large bucket tonight at the range and it was a so-so session. Working on the tempo tonight, I was hitting my irons thin early. I could feel myself early and not sure if it was due to hitting on mats for the first time in awhile.

Woods were fantastic. In fact I hit about 3 or 4 drives with my 3 wood and didn't bother hitting it again.

Finished strong but I forgot how much I dislike hitting irons off mats. But it is that time of year and need to keep working.

Spent about an hour earlier in the garage hitting.
Working on feeling comfortable with an interlocking grip.

Used the target mode on my swing caddie and it was a good deal of fun!

Had a ton of fun at the range tonight beating balls. Played my way around a few courses in my mind, and kept working on a few pointers I've received recently.

Still fighting a small block to the right, but I'll take it over the duck hook any day.

Still fighting a small block to the right, but I'll take it over the duck hook any day.

Truer words have never been spoken. Reason why the R9 460/C.Kua combo has me so tantalized.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Today's going to be like the 4th time to the range since The Morgan Cup lol, I used to practice 4 to 5 days a week for the past few years, not sure what happened but I miss it.

Got a large and a half bucket in on the range today and other than a few thin wedges starting out it was really good. Sometimes it seems like the less I practice the better I strike the ball lol, long irons are so damn solid it's not funny. I think the best thing that ever happened to me was The Morgan Cup, I was forced to truly look at my own expectations and set goals that I feel were reachable, I didn't reach the clouds but I got off the ground with a lot of hard work.

Got a large and a half bucket in on the range today and other than a few thin wedges starting out it was really good. Sometimes it seems like the less I practice the better I strike the ball lol, long irons are so damn solid it's not funny. I think the best thing that ever happened to me was The Morgan Cup, I was forced to truly look at my own expectations and set goals that I feel were reachable, I didn't reach the clouds but I got off the ground with a lot of hard work.

It could be in my head, but it seems like every time I hit the range before a round I play worse. Nowadays I don't practice the day before or warm up the day of other than with the orange whip.

I think for me if I hit a bucket before a round I start making adjustments. Which is not good just before a round. I have a bunch of free balls so before a round I sometimes hit a couple with the big stick couple with the 5 couple with the pw and donate them to the range. I hit balls everyday at home and yes it seems sometimes too much practice is a bad thing.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

60 degrees here, so I hit the range for a little swing work. Working staying behind the ball an fully releasing the club. When I do it well, tge ball flight starts right of my target line with a gently draw back. After several swings I snapped a video. Grabbed a still shot of what I thought was the right position, only to learn I wasn't quite there. When I was getting through the ball my left elbow wasn't pointing in to correct direction. A few slow swings with out a ball just to feel where I needed to be and I went back to hitting balls. The results were promising. The ball still starting right drawing back. But a much more penetrating flight and further distance. With the subtle change through impact I could feel a stronger finishing position and full release down the line. Next range session I will continue to work on this. Finished up with short wedges from 40-80 yards.
48ec3dc076888a8c72fd97d8829d7ad0.jpg
85a4f78a9a4b9c5e995c6ba3caeefdba.jpg

Last edited:
I had what was supposed to be a 2 hour meeting only last 30 mins so I hit the range at lunch. Big focus was just on a shorter backswing with a narrower stance. I hit some absolutely towering irons that were just creamed... and I hit a bunch that went maybe 30 feet on the ground. Just trying to get the feeling. I will say that I was able to feel a weight shift, which is a big hit or miss thing for me, with the shorter backswing. It felt like it was very easy to push my left heel into the ground and I was staying more centered. When I had it timed right it was awesome. It's going to take a bit to feel natural but I was very happy with the good shots.

Driver though... ugh. Shortened backswing did NOT work with that. Dreadful. But, like I said, work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I'm going to get some work in tonight, should have time for 9 and then some chipping, been lazy there lately.

Spent on hour on short game and putting. Was getting too wristy with my short shots and focused on keeping my head still while putting.

Heading out at sunrise tomorrow with my kids to hit some before school/work. My driver is getting better and my long irons are solid but the 3 wood and hybrid need a lot of work so they will be my focus tomorrow.

Just a reminder:
Hey all! I just wanted to wish everyone a great day and kind of explain what my thoughts were for this thread. First quick disclaimer. I am not a fitness professional. I am not a nutritionist. Before you start a workout program of any kind, please consult your doctor. I will share with you what works for me and try to help you in the right direction. I am simply someone who enjoys working out and eating healthful food. If your workout is getting stale, this is the place to throw out ideas or find new ones to keep you motivated and fired up. Losing steam happens to all of us. Heck this past summer I was the heaviest I have ever been! It was not a pretty sight. The whole goal is to remember that fitness and health is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be ups and downs. I am here to share in your ups and to celebrate with you and to try to help right the ship when there are downs (which there always are, and I will be sure to share mine as well). Any questions or thoughts please feel free to shoot me a PM!

Spent the afternoon at the course practicing chipping and putting. My short game seems to have returned,liking the results.

Spent the afternoon at the course practicing chipping and putting. My short game seems to have returned,liking the results.

Can't wait to see it in action Saturday, dude!

Can't wait to see it in action Saturday, dude!

I am looking forward to see the results. Wishing the seller on ebay would send my 49*,its been 3.5 weeks.

I am looking forward to see the results. Wishing the seller on ebay would send my 49*,its been 3.5 weeks.

WTH? You should probably start bugging that guy. Remember, you only have 45 days on Paypal after purchase to open a complaint if somebody doesn't send an item.

Went out this morning to the range. Really liking the time change as the sun is rising earlier so I can start earlier.

todays focus was strictly on my hybrid and somewhat my 3 wood. After watching and reading some tips I tried moving the ball more forward in my stance and not swinging so hard, letting the loft and club do the work. The hybrid was a success this way, the 3 wood is still a hit or miss, no confidence shot for me.

Also tried making sure that I wasn't hitting down on it like an iron nor sweeping up at it like a driver, trying to make sure contact was at the bottom of my swing. Was able to consistently hit it 200 yards with roll out included. Probably would have been a little more but the range goes uphill for the last 50 yards or so.

Over all felt better about the hybrid. Going out Saturday and will try hitting it on the course. I've had the hybrid in my bag for two months and have only hit it a handful of times on the course due to lack of cofidence when hitting it.

Saw this in an article by David Mackenzie and thought it sounded like an interesting thought process:

Next time you’re practicing, try this focus technique before you take the club back:
– ball and target
– ball and target
– ball and target
– ball for 2-3 seconds
– swing, focusing on a single dimple (the point of contact)
– if putting, keep gaze where ball was for 1-2 seconds

Got in a couple of buckets, really focused on rhythm in the swing and getting a pause in at the top of a full backswing. Especially with the longer clubs, I don't have a prayer of getting the club face square to target without a proper shoulder turn and a little pause at the top.

Probably feeling better about my swing and understanding it than I have in a long time. Hopefully I can remember to put this in play Sunday.

During lunch break went to the range and hit some balls. Found my driver swing, lost long iron swing lol

I've always been better with my irons than my woods (not good by any means though), but had to work hard to hit a draw with lower lofted clubs. Most of the time I'd get a slight fade with long irons, a small slice with my 3w, and a horrible slice with my Driver. I was fit for standard sized grips and recently had an encounter with a TMAG rep at a demo day who told me I needed midsize grips. He had a driver with a midsize grip and after a few swings I was easily hitting draws. I've since switched to all midsize and am hitting every club better than ever. I've even had to change my set up slightly and focus less on previous swing thoughts (like a flat wrist) because I will over draw the ball.

However, I had a lesson last night and was hitting my longest, straightest, baby draw iron shots ever and was hitting my 3w with 80% solid consistent shots (enough to game it on a course now), BUT I get the driver in my hand and still want to rip it (with lackluster results). I'm over rotating and coming out of the shot early, still leaving the club hanging behind me. The midsize grip on the driver is still helping me relax my hands and release the club, so the former slice has turned into a blocked/pushed shot. But some would have been lost on my home courses, which isn't going to help my scores get any better. I had some shots mixed in that were just perfect for me, big towering draws that are long, but then revert back to the over swing/over rotation.

I've got to get this ingrained in my head/swing. Anyone have any drills they like for this issue? I'm thinking about setting up an alignment stick at an angle towards me with a pool noodle on it so that I can rest my head against it during the swing (sort of like the "bender stick" advertised on tv).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back