What is a hacker to do?

wannabepar

Reaction score
I have two sets of irons that are auditioning for the bag as I get back into golf this year. I have a set of Callaway X-12's (3-SW) with Memphis "10" shafts, and the 2003 version of the Top Flite Tours (3-SW) with R flex steel shafts. I love the X-12's as they were the first real set of irons I was able to get my hands on and I was getting better with them about 10 years ago when I was playing 2-3 times a week. Then I saw my dad's TFT's and fell in love with the cleaner looks, way less offset and thinner topline. So I bought some for myself.

As stated earlier, I'm eager to get back into a rhythm with golf and have been out three times since Thanksgiving. The golfing frequency is going to increase significantly this spring and summer as my third shift job comes to an end this coming week. With more play, I'll also invest in some lessons with the local course pro.

My question is one to illicit opinions of these two sets of irons, comparatively speaking. I'm also very interested in the X-14 Pro Series, as I believe they have the much cleaner looks I prefer from the TFT's and all the goodies the X-12's are known for. I don't have the funds right now though for a change from what I already own, but it is something to aim for as I try to improve my ball striking abilities. By the way, I consider myself an average hacker with a scoring average in the mid 90's.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and always helpful advice.

Hmmm. Tough call. A lot has changed in terms of spin, ball flight and assistance since those irons but they played well.

If it were me, and it's not, I would play the more forgiving clubs and as you stated you were getting better with them.

The flip side is you have to like what you play.

I also play the X12's. Simply because I picked them up for a good price on Craigslist, they were in excellent condition, and were the first set of irons to give me confidence.

I recently bought a set of XR's. My strategy is to practice with the XR's to improve my contact with the ball, but continue to play the X12's. Eventually, I'll switch over to the XR's full time, but hard to go away from the consistency of the X12's.

Play with whatever makes you comfortable.

f15897440f05ec319c682ff0452e4f5e.jpg

Bring them both to the driving range and try out which one works better for you.

Alternatively, you can sell them both and buy a newer set. Not brand new, but perhaps in the 2010 to 2012 era. But if it's a newer set, always try before you buy.

My Dad still games the X-12s and I don't think they will ever come out of his bag. The X-18s were great and could be had cheap, and slightly more forgiving than the X-12s.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I played X-12's for some time and played some good golf with them. My current irons are from 1999/2000 and I love em. Go with what you like.

Used to love the X12's and my favorite iron was the X12 pro series, I could still play those if that was my option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I think I'm going to stick the X-12's in the bag and leave them there for the near future. Hopefully I'll be able to get my swing straightened out and get comfortable with them.

Back