Need some swing weight help.

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
I tend to be a Do It Yourselfer, but I need some help from some of you more experienced hackers around here on this one. I have a taylormade R15 driver with a shortened aftermarket shaft and different grip. I believe my swing weight is messed up due to the shaft etc. I'll list the info below and I'd like to know about what the current weight is and what I need to add to get it back to factory "D4 I believe".
On a side note I had an R11s with a similar set up and added 4 grams to the head and that seemed to correct it, but I just made an educated guess.
Thanks for the help see following info.

Driver: R15. 10.5 degree right hand factory shaft was Fuji Speeder 57 Evolution 45.5" with a Lamkin 48g grip.

Installed shaft: Mitsubishi kurokage "factory 66g Stiff 45.25 inches" trimmed to an OAL of 44.25 With a golf pride MCC +4 standard 52g grip.

Thanks in advance for the help. If you need more info please ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I may have answered my own question. See below.
Factory shaft =57.0 grams
Factory grip =48.0 grams
TOTAL =105.0 grams

Aftermarket shaft =66.0 grams
Aftermarket grip =52.0 grams
TOTAL =118.0 grams

1.0 inch cut off ~18.0 grams less

=100.0 grams

So I am around 5.0 grams lighter on the butt end or around 1.25 swing weight points.
So I would need to take away about 1.0 SW points or 2.0 grams from the head to get back to D4. Is this correct.

You can't really guess as to how many grams will be removed by shortening a shaft as they aren't uniform. Generally taking a half inch off a shaft lowers swing weight by a few points, but there is no guarantee.

You need to get it on a swing weight scale. After finding the swing weight, 2 grams difference at the head equals 1 swing weight point.

Get a 45g grip and then add hotmelt or lead tape to the head. Do consider a heavier shaft for shorter setups that need SW

You can get different weight sliders to increase the R15 head weight, but looking at your specs, it doesn't appear you changed too much to justify weight change. I would add lead tape till it gets to a comfortable weight to see what the total weight you need.

Or the alternative is measure the weight down to the gram and find the balance point, you can use that to calculate your actual sw with online sw calculators.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

So I had my driver checked today at Dicks and they said it was a D3. I ordered a 15 gram weight to replace one of the 12.5 gram weights and that should get it back up to around D4-5 according to the pro at Dicks. Does this sound right.

Definitely a good start to tweak your swing weight to where you want it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back