Driver swing help please

ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Freddie I've really been struggling lately with my driver, to the point where I've been hitting 3w from the tee more often than not. Went out this morning with my kid for a few holes before school/work. He's only 9 so you will have to excuse his finger in the frame and the slight off line view from down the line.

My usual ball flight is a fade that I can plan for. My miss is a slice that turns into a huge slice when I really mess it up. I can't hit a draw to save my life!

I see a few things wrong but I would like your opinion please. I see in the video I lift my left heel, didn't even know I did that. Also I'm coming over the top but don't know how to fix that. I think I also need to work on keeping my head down a second longer, in the video it looks like I'm bringing my head up to look at the ball to soon. I'm at the course/range 3-4 days a week and am willing to put in the time if I know what to work on.

Head on view, this was more of a fade that is my usual shot:

Here is is the down the line view, which is slightly off line. This is an obvious slice that starts out way left and then went right:

Hopefully these embed correctly.

The fade/slice is not something I struggle with with any other club from 3w down, just driver.

Thanks in advance and for you jean haters I had to go straight to work after the course :act-up:

I will also post a closeup pic later tonight of my grip as that is something my instructor says I need to work on but the grip he wants me to have just feels completely wrong.

I know I asked Freddie but I'll gladly take other's advice.

The one thing that stands out to me is the weight shift and getting on the outside of your right leg which causes a sway back and forward. Will lead to inconsistent ball contact. Work on getting weight to stay on the inside of the right leg. One key to help would be to kick the right knee in a tad...I battle this and the right knee kicked in is something my instructor has me doing.

the other item is the grip. You have a weak grip which will get the club face open in the back swing and will make it hard to square it at impact. When you grip you want to see 2-3 knuckles on your left hand.

Fore,

You swing is not bad at all. I see some flaws that can be ironed out pretty easy.
1. False shoulder turn. Your arms take the club away and to the top. The left heel lift completes the rotation. But it is a false turn and is causing the over the top move. I' like to see the shoulders start the swing as the arms move in connection with the shoulders.

You will still get the extension in the arms as long as they follow the shoulders. It will also get the club high in the back swing and create more power.

I do not mind the left heel lift, as long as it returns prior to the arms moving down the line. I would actually like you to use the left heel returning as a trigger to start the down swing. Slam the heel in the turf and kick that hip away from the ball as the hands drop into the slot. Those hands need to flow down toward the right hand pocket or hip. The right elbow should be close you body as the down swing starts and swing through to your finish.

I will work on the grip and get a pic up soon.

Freddy: Should I feel like my right should is pulling my turn, left shoulder pushing my turn or more that they are working together? Thank you!

I'm no pro, but I remember watching a clip from Vijay Singh a few years ago saying that on his takeaway he focuses on his left shoulder rotating towards the ball on the takeaway. He said that forces him to keep his right arm in a good straight position. I think one thing those of us are right handed struggle with is letting our left shoulder be in the drivers seat on our takeaway.

I will work on the grip and get a pic up soon.

Freddy: Should I feel like my right should is pulling my turn, left shoulder pushing my turn or more that they are working together? Thank you!
I like the feeling of the right shoulder on the back swing. Maintain the triangle created with your arms. Once past uour right knee, just fold that right arm into a 90* angle and complete the shoulder turn.

I like the feeling of the right shoulder on the back swing. Maintain the triangle created with your arms. Once past uour right knee, just fold that right arm into a 90* angle and complete the shoulder turn.

Holy crap Freddy you were dead on with the pulling the right shoulder back creating an actual turn instead of the false turn I was using by leading with my arms.

Went out this morning and only had time for 7 holes, 5 of which I hit driver on. I played from spots further down the fairway and more towards the middle than I ever have! Including one hole where I almost always end up slicing it and leaving myself about 130-150 yards from the adjacent fairway. Today I hit the fairway just to the right and after the roll out, another thing I usually don't get as it's rolling right instead of forwards, I left myself with a 65 yard wedge shot to the green.

I also used the same idea with my irons and shocker they were straighter and about 1 club longer than I'm used to! In the seven holes I went, bogey, bogey, bogey, birdie, par, par, par!

Im going out again Saturday afternoon and will get another video just to make sure I'm doing what I think I'm doing.

My usual playing partner asked what I was doing differently and I explained to him what you told me and how it makes me feel like I'm really coiling up on my right side and unleashing towards the ball. I even managed to hit a little baby draw with my seven iron, something I've never done before.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I love hearing that you played well. That's what it's all about. Solid play through solid contact. Take it slow and be mindful of what I told you for the next minth, until it become second nature. Glad I was able to help

Back