Bridgestone J815 Driver - THP Review

Given the choice of the two Bridgestone drivers I would take the 815 all day long.

If the graphics are too much, which I doubt, its nothing spray can can't solve

Haha, to be fair, not many peope are going to want to spray paint a newly bought driver.

As with anything, some don't mind it, some will, and its cool both ways. I guarantee B'stone knew what reaction they would get...and look...here we are talking about it.

Haha, to be fair, not many peope are going to want to spray paint a newly bought driver.

As with anything, some don't mind it, some will, and its cool both ways. I guarantee B'stone knew what reaction they would get...and look...here we are talking about it.
I remember disliking the graphics on the R1, but then when actually hitting balls with it I never even noticed.
I'm sure this would be the same.

I love the sounds of a head that takes some Bridgestone goodness andbadds some decent launch. I think I like the Fubuki ZT shaft as well. I used it in X flex at The King and it really worked well for me.

I got to the golf dome today and was able to hit the 815 again. I have the 12* with the Aldila NV65 shaft. I think me and this driver combo are just made for eachother. My swing wasn't exactly on but the lateral forgiveness really shined today. The ball just seemed to want to go straight no matter where I hit it on the face. Although I didn't have any extreme heel or toe shots, I hit enough shots out on the toe where I thought I would see a lot more gear effect. I kept looking at the face and thinking "I just hit that there?". I can't wait to hit this outside to get a better idea of distance on misses.

oh and it has graphics on it that I still don't notice at address

Good stuff dude.

I'd love to hit the 12*, the 9.5 already launches really nicely, I can't imagine that. It'd be a blast.

I got to the golf dome today and was able to hit the 815 again. I have the 12* with the Aldila NV65 shaft. I think me and this driver combo are just made for eachother. My swing wasn't exactly on but the lateral forgiveness really shined today. The ball just seemed to want to go straight no matter where I hit it on the face. Although I didn't have any extreme heel or toe shots, I hit enough shots out on the toe where I thought I would see a lot more gear effect. I kept looking at the face and thinking "I just hit that there?". I can't wait to hit this outside to get a better idea of distance on misses.

oh and it has graphics on it that I still don't notice at address

This is a perfect driver for you. This combo sets up just right and I don't recall seein a bad shot from you either day with this.

Writing on this one throughout the day, really, I hope people that CAN try it DO try it. I fell into the group that flocked to the J715 and sort of thumbed my nose at the J815 initially when we found out the black version wouldn't be released. But, having spent time with both, I really stand by the thought that this one will fit the majority of am's out there as far as their needs. Mid-high launch, low-mid spin, TREMEEEEENDOUS sound, and great lateral retention as well as high off the face. Its another driver into the market this year that does what it claims, and does it very very well. This one falls into that sleeper category to me, but ONLY because of the crown. I know many of us here it doesn't phase, I get that, but off the shelf I fear it will push some away, and that would be a shame.

Once I get my hands on one Jman you know I will. Everything screams try me and buy me about this driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Writing on this one throughout the day, really, I hope people that CAN try it DO try it. I fell into the group that flocked to the J715 and sort of thumbed my nose at the J815 initially when we found out the black version wouldn't be released. But, having spent time with both, I really stand by the thought that this one will fit the majority of am's out there as far as their needs. Mid-high launch, low-mid spin, TREMEEEEENDOUS sound, and great lateral retention as well as high off the face. Its another driver into the market this year that does what it claims, and does it very very well. This one falls into that sleeper category to me, but ONLY because of the crown. I know many of us here it doesn't phase, I get that, but off the shelf I fear it will push some away, and that would be a shame.
If you want to send it to Ohio let me know! I'd love to give it go. I think the J815 has a lot to offer my game. Looking forward to your review Jman!

For me, it's not an issue of if, but when I will have this driver.

Curious if this one will be added to the Test Drive, I sure hope so.

Curious if this one will be added to the Test Drive, I sure hope so.

I am 99% positive Bstone said it would be available in April sometime along with the left handed clubs on there.

After 4/1 is what Josh just replied on Twitter.

That is correct. Bridgestone posted the 815 and cast irons would become available on the test drive program in April.

That is correct. Bridgestone posted the 815 and cast irons would become available on the test drive program in April.

I remember reading something, just wanted to verify from the source again.

Just finished installing a Bridgestone sleeve and Lamkin i-Line grip on my new Fuji Motore F1 55g shaft. This will be going in my J815, cannot wait to hit this setup. Should be just what the doctor ordered!

Looks like Kuch may be putting the J850 in play this week. See he has it in the bag for the practice round.

Looks like Kuch may be putting the J850 in play this week. See he has it in the bag for the practice round.

I am wondering whether the commentators say anything about the crown at any point. Either way, I will be paying attention since the driver has very nice sound at impact.

I am wondering whether the commentators say anything about the crown at any point. Either way, I will be paying attention since the driver has very nice sound at impact.

It appears to be the red model as well, should stand out nicely.

Wow Im surprised Kuchar would play the crown like that. I figured whatever pros gamed it would probably use the black version. Awesome to see that though.

This is cool to see him testing it, hope it makes it into play.

The snow melted off enough and the temp hit the 50's so it was time to get back to work on this one....silly weather! Got out and about today, some thoughts? Well I don't mind if I do.

• I have hit a LOT of good sounding drivers this year, most are nailing the acoustics, but the J815 is probably my favorite. Mainly because its a throwback sound to me, I've mentioned it before in here, but it does have a metallic tendency to it, but it hit me today that its really like the older smaller cc metallic sounds, its solid, its got a dense nature to it with NO echo. Its seriously a stellar sound at impact, even the ROCKS that are Nike RZN Black's couldn't make it sound bad. So much better than the J715 in the sound department its crazy to me, Dan and I have actually talked about this.
  • Again saw seriously good launch out of the J815 today, it launched higher than what I typically see out of a 9.5 by a good margin, in fact it was launching just a bit under my 815 at 12* and Flex Speed at 12.5* and pretty much on par with them when I set them to 11* and 11.5* respectively. This is a good thing for me personally, but moreover I really think its a good thing for the demo this club is aimed at. Its not overdone, it just launches really well in its stock setup.
  • Having gotten out more with this I think I overstated the spin from the first couple go rounds, I sort of classified it as a more mid spin head but honestly with the carry I was seeing today I think it really is more in that low-mid category, like right in the middle. I need more time on this though, but it interesting to me the more I swing it.
  • Hit it against 3 other heads today, Vapor-Pro/Speeder661, Vapor-Speed/Diamana-S+, and 815/PX-LZ50. Different setups and profiles, yes, but lofts on those three were set to 12.5*, 12.5*, and 12* respectively. The J815 launched higher than the Pro, but lower than the Speed and a 815.
  • Distance wise, for me I was seeing some very nice carry numbers, in fact, it was on par with anything I have hit this year, which simply reminds me how many really good drivers are out this year, I know some think drivers are maxed out, I think they're crazy. Overall, it stood toe to toe with everything I hit today, with the same ball brand/model, and on some holes won out the distance battle. YMMV depending on fit of course, but info I know some of you will be curious about.
  • ITS STILL RED! ITS STILL GOT CRAAAAAZY GRAPHICS! Seriously though, they aren't going to go away, and they WILL be a turnoff for some, but performance wise I hope people try and get past that. For me, the crazy graphics have shown that they DO serve as an alignment aid if you let it. Its been said about graphics before in a review (I have said it myself), but its true in this instance, IF you let it be. The graphics also hide the ridge/slot/flex section on the crown, which I think looks pretty cool actually.
  • The head shape itself it a solid design, it sets up well behind the ball, its not cumbersome in size, it hides the 460cc well. Face is pretty deep, but frames the ball really nicely.
  • Forgiveness wise, I'm seeing ball speed retention high on the face that is really solid, toe and heel see the dropoff I've come to expect. Big surprise is so far low on the face is promising as well, still some considerable dropoff there, but less than I have seen in a lot of popular heads. Misses are felt, but there isn't a twisting sensation or any shudder for me. The stability means less gear effect on misses heel and toe, still some draw/fade flight there, but it doesn't stick out as being a detrimental level.
  • I'm still not sure what to think about the face to be honest. It looks cool, and REALLY different. I know its supposed to allow the ball a fraction longer on the face to help the transfer of energy to the ball and a drop in spin, but thats not something you are going to notice in tactile feedback. I do think perhaps this is part of the "lower spinning than I thought" aspect I noticed this time out though.

I'm going to get out again Friday with this and then Sunday with 11 other THP'ers who will have the chance to hit it and give feedback. Its going to be very curious how its received on 4/1 release, seeing Kuchar testing it has to help, but not as much as if he puts it in play and has success.

Awesome write-up James. I've liked the 715 better than the 815 in the little time I spent with both, but now I need to get some time in with the 815.

Using Tapatalk

Nice write up. I believe this driver worked for a wide range of golfers and agree if people just ignore the graphics and try it they will be impressed.

Back