How long does it take for you to adjust to a new club?

I completely agree that a good fitting should make the transition to new clubs easier. But I'd add that it depends on what you're transitioning from. I used to play with late-90s model clubs, and it took me a few months to feel comfortable with my new gear, even though it was fitted to my specs. My old fairway woods had steel shafts; my old seven iron had the loft of my current nine iron. Everything changed, and adjusting to change takes time.

With the exception of putters and drivers, I keep my clubs so long that I avoid any adjustment period. In fact, I love my Wilson Tour FG V2 irons so much I bought another new set this summer so when the faces wear out in 7-10 years, I will have a replacement set ready. It's my way of not having to relearn new yardages!! The set of Taylor Made irons I got my sophomore year of high school stayed in my bag for 19 years. They have almost the exact same head shape, size, and lofts as my current Wilson Staffs.

The four different 3 woods I've played the last 25 years are the same way, I know right away when I like a new 3 wood, it just feels right from the moment I hit the first few shots with it. I guess the bottom line is even though I enjoy trying new models on the range every year, other than drivers and putters I just never find clubs that I like better than what I'm playing. My guess is only about 3 or 4 clubs in my current bag will be replaced in the next 7-10 years. Luckily I still support the golf industry because my drivers usually don't make it more than 20 rounds without getting retired at least temporarily!!:act-up:

Last edited:
I normally know after 5-10 shots if I will keep a club or not. If I do not like a club when I open box and look at it I will generally not hit it well.

I don't get new clubs very often but when I do, they immediately go in the bag

New clubs and then no going back. One round is all it takes then. I guess in that way its all in your head, committing to the new and leaving the old behind.

Apparently not long with driver. Had one of my best driving days recently, yesterday. All of the practice I had was time on the range to warm up. Just fell right in line.

Depends. Sometimes I'm good right from the get go on the course. Other times, it takes longer than I'm willing to give it.

Back