2015 The King Is Coming - Featuring Callaway XR Drivers

I was a balmy 1 degree here this morning and it's not supposed to warm up again for a week or more. So for now, it's the birdieball in the basement for me.

I was a balmy 1 degree here this morning and it's not supposed to warm up again for a week or more. So for now, it's the birdieball in the basement for me.
I'm in the same boat. I can do limited irons and wedges as well, but nothing substantial besides the flat stick. Is it spring yet??

Anyone else constantly checking their front step for a box about 4 feet tall? :) So excited for this event!!

Anyone else constantly checking their front step for a box about 4 feet tall? :) So excited for this event!!
Oh, as a consolidation prize for not making the cut they sent me yours. I'm supposed to forward it to you once you can actually use it outside. Don't worry the sweet spot will be, mostly, untouched. :act-up:

Oh, as a consolidation prize for not making the cut they sent me yours. I'm supposed to forward it to you once you can actually use it outside. Don't worry the sweet spot will be, mostly, untouched. :act-up:
Well Lord knows i won't hit the sweet spot.... But that's ok. I hear the extra forgiveness will do me well. Keep it warmed up for me!

I figure we will get notified from JB or GG when these ship.

Less than 2 months! Scary because I have insane amounts of work to do for class..... But great because I'll be celebrating the end of the semester with you fine folks!! #ImWithHarry

man i can't wait for this to come. Just got my club glider in today (should've gone for it the first time lol) and my new shoes :)

Gentlemen,
A bit of an announcement. Your drivers have been ordered and they will be shipping soon.
Please remember that we would love to hear reviews when they arrive in the appropriate thread.
Thanks.

Gentlemen,
A bit of an announcement. Your drivers have been ordered and they will be shipping soon.
Please remember that we would love to hear reviews when they arrive in the appropriate thread.
Thanks.
Christmas in March

I have the last 2 Callaway Driver, 2014 Big Bertha and Big Bertha Alpha 815. I will be more then happy to provide honest feedback on the XR Driver.

Thanks again JB and Callaway Golf

Gentlemen,
Thanks.
LOVE THIS!!!!

Gentlemen,
Thanks.

Thanks, JB - really looking forward to working with this one and providing some feedback. I was able to hit this in a simulator a week or two ago and was very happy with the initial results.

Gentlemen,
Thanks.
Love it. Weather is warming up, and I'll be sure to get out and put this through its paces and report back. Assuming as with all forum testings, you want these to remain in stock setup (shaft, grips, etc.) Until after the event?

Howdy gents! How goes your prep for The King? What are you doing to get ready with less than two months to go?

Howdy gents! How goes your prep for The King? What are you doing to get ready with less than two months to go?
I'm in the car now but I'll update once I get to work. I can certainly say I'm super excited for this event and everything that goes with it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alrighty.... So living in Illinois with the lovely winter, I'm lucky to have a dome about a half hour from home. I've tried to make a visit there once a week. Usually it's Ramber, my dad and I. The good news is that with the new shafts and specs, my irons have been spot on.... at least as spot on as they can be in a 75 yard deep dome. There's really no telling what happens after that point. Contact has been solid and as long as I keep steady, I feel like I'm going to have a REALLY good year with the irons.

My driver work has been minimal as my current driver is just not anywhere consistent. The reason I haven't worked with it much is that I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's just not the right setup in any way, shape or form for my game. I can say putting the XR in my hands will give me something completely different that the R11S I have now(Which has been put in the corner and will stay there permanently). From demoing it, it's a different head feel and completely different in terms of weight and overall feel when swinging. I may tweak it in terms of a tad heavier swing weight as that's what I did with my irons and it's worked well on slowing me down and getting me in the right position. In the next week or two I'm also going back to Club Champion for my Driver and woods fitting so hopefully I'll be able to gain a little bit of knowledge from that too!

But my King preparations and game improvement work in general have been mostly focused on short game since the snow and cold has prevented any practice outside. I'm actually okay with this as that was not as strong an area for me last year as it has been in the past. I can honestly say I spend probably an hour a night on my birdie ball just hitting putts back and forth...usually around 11pm when everyone else has gone to bed. It's nice to putt with the tv on in the background and just me and the green. I've been able to focus on keeping my head/shoulders steady, which has improved my contact and consistency quite a bit. I've also been working on my pre-shot routine and have found that using the line on the ball really is a benefit to me. I think I've always thrown the ball down and lined up the ball with my spot, but I never really truly committed to lining up the aiming line on my putter with that line on the ball. I know it's goofy, but I just never took advantage of it.

I've also spent time chipping in the house and really focused on keeping everything still on those 10 yard chips. Contact has been crisp and consistent. That should help give me more 1-2 footers during the season.

I guess this has turned into what I've been doing with my game in general, but I think preparation for #TheKing has really just been an extension on what I've been doing all off season. I want to get better. I want to drop strokes. If I can consistently start to hit the ball 250 yards+ and hit the 50+% fairways off the tee with my driver (I bet last year it was maybe 25%) I know I'm going to start scoring MUCH MUCH better.

Thankfully the weather has started to break and courses are opening up this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll break out the galoshes to go play in what will be incredibly wet conditions... But I will have the opportunity to get to the outdoor range and really see how my swing is progressing with every club in my bag. Really excited about this! :)

This event is about 1 month and 18 days away. Lots of time to improve and I know myself and the rest of #TeamHarry are committed to doing that. #VictoryDos #SorryHashtag

Last edited:
With the weather finally breaking here got out to knock off some winter rust. While I am happy with where my game is at this spring, last two days on the course showed me that I have a lot of room for improvement. Full swing lessons every week seems to have helped, but I really need short game work. Snow still there but soon! Hopefully next couple days will see an open practice area

Good work Derek and Kang! Just like I did last winter, you are finding a way to work on your game despite the weather. Keep up the good work, and your best game will be there in California!

I broke my damn arm so my prep isn't going along like I hoped it would. I'm getting better though and should be playing pain free by early April. I'll do my best to prep as much as I can. In the mean time I bought a new putter. So that should count as prep!

Hey as long as you're swinging and are able to play without pain in May I'll consider that as successful preparation time!

I broke my damn arm so my prep isn't going along like I hoped it would. I'm getting better though and should be playing pain free by early April. I'll do my best to prep as much as I can. In the mean time I bought a new putter. So that should count as prep!

Like other guys, I've been trying to work around the weather. We seem to have been alternating between snow and 65, but as long as the warm days keep coming, I'm not complaining. My dad and I managed to play in both January and February, which is pretty good for a Montana winter. I played last weekend and am playing again both Friday and Saturday. When the snow does hit, I've been retreating to the basement with the BirdieBall to work on my putting, though I can't claim to have put in quite as much time with it as Derek. Over the next month or so, my goal is to keep playing, but also to ramp up the short game practice. I've been able to chip a little bit in my yard and hit some half SW shots in a park across the street, but I'm going to try to really dedicate some time to chipping/bunker practice. It's not always that easy with a busy family, but I'm going to do my best.

In related preparation, I've hit a couple of local simulators several times to get myself XR ready. I hit the XR driver and I was very happy with how we got along on the 5-6 swings I was able to make with it. I can't wait to really spend some more time with it over the next month or so. I also tried out the XR Pro irons with no intention of spending money on new irons this year. But I loved them so much that they should be shipping my way tomorrow (ordered on Tues.). So along with putting the XR driver through its paces, I will also be dialing in the XR Pros.

I don't have weather excuses, but like Jake I'm in the broken bone group. It was a finger about 6 weeks ago. I'm getting really close to getting out there for some full swings, went to the range 2 weeks ago but after a few swings relized it wasn't worth pushing it. My prep has been regripping my irons, buying a new 4w, chipping in the yard and carpet putting. The plan is to get out to the range next week and then a round next weekend if everything goes well. Hopefully, we'll have our XR drivers by then.

I've been working on things in my basement since before I found out I was in, but got out this week to see how the progress was coming. Had a number of positive takeaways and a number of things to work on. Irons are going well but I think I need to tweak the lie angles a little and maybe get a bigger grip on them. Hybrids are working extremely well, and wedges are pretty dialed in for this time in the year. Driver needs help, and I'm hoping the XR will be just what the doctor ordered on that front. Putting was hot and cold this weekend, still need more work, but the birdie ball can only accomplish so much. Putting will be a major focus after the thaw.

Beyond that, working on my overall fitness. Feeling in a lot better shape than I was, but three days of cart path only showed me I've still got a ways to go.

Jake & Schanker,
I hope you guys heal soon.

I know that winter sucks for most of you and I appreciate that both teams are doing what they can (domes, BirdiBall, etc) to keep your games in shape.

Back