Best Field in Golf

I'd go with either the Players or the 2nd or 3rd FedEx playoff event.

The fields in the playoffs might be a bit smaller, but you have to play a whole lot of good golf to get in.

In any given year, the Tour Championship arguably has the guys playing the hottest golf of that year to get into the chase, and has played well enough that month to advance to the final round.

I would think any of the WGC events.

I'd go with either the Players or the 2nd or 3rd FedEx playoff event.

The fields in the playoffs might be a bit smaller, but you have to play a whole lot of good golf to get in.
Some of my same thought process as well.

The Players.

What tournament has the best field in all of golf?

All of them exempt the Top 50 in the OWGR. It's past that number when things get murky.

The WGC events would arguably be the strongest, only because of the limited # of participants, no sponsor exemptions, no Monday qualifying, etc. Pure OWGR, FedEx or Race to Dubai ranking, along with past champions for the recent years.

The Players is probably the strongest field outside of the WGC's. But, because it's 144 instead of 64 or 70 players, I would consider The Players "The Best Field of All".
Then, the PGA Champ which allows 20 spots for PGA Members.
Next would be the Open Champ. It is probably a little stronger field than the US Open since is doesn't get as many from qualifiers
Weakest of the Majors is probably the US Open, which gets 1/2 of it's field from local/sectional/international qualifying

The Olympics?

My first thought would be one of the opens, maybe with a slight edge to the British open with the slightly higher international representation. The arguments for the players raises an interesting point though...

The Olympics?

No way. There are only going to be 4 players max from a country and several countries will have players ranked way into the hundreds while better golfers are staying home.

I would have to go with The Players....

I would also say The Players. I would guess almost half of the Masters field has no chance.

The Players
WGC events
The Open

Tour Championship

Off the top of my head The Players and WGC events.

WGC Events. I guess the Match Play has to be the ultimate field because it is limited even further.

Edit - I haven't seen anyone mention the Tournament of Champions yet, that's another good one.

I was going to go with match play. Simple top xx in the world invited.

Memorial tournament at Jack's place

If by best, we mean strongest, then it's between the Open and the PGA for me.

Players or memorial

Not any of the majors and as the first post just says tournament so I would have to go with the Fed Ex Championship. Top 30 players from the year. Period. No lifetime exceptions, no free ride for someone who won 4 years ago. Just the best 30 current players.

As for Majors, the Masters even with the lifetime winners taking up spots.

I'd think it would almost have to be the Master's. There's just not a week link in that field.

I'd think it would almost have to be the Master's. There's just not a week link in that field.

Mike Weir, Sandy Lyle, and Ian Woosnam beg to differ with your statement. All of them are past champions with zero shot at winning. Plus there are multiple amateurs that won't sniff making the cut either.

I'd say for size and depth of field, it's probably the Players.

I have to go with the Player's Championship as well.

I would have to go with The Barclays, that is the start of the fedex cup playoff and gives the top 125 players for that year.

For arguments sake u could say the WGC Bridgestone.

-top 50 in world ranking and ties
-previous presidents cup or Ryder cup participants
-winners of 5-6 worldwide championships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back