What generates distance off the tee?

Okay guys I am with you. The reason I posted this is because I have no idea if what I am seeing is accurate. I am going to GPS measure the next time I play as something has to be off. I trust what you guys are saying and know there is a reason for this.

JB, I also get you about getting hung up on distance. I am pretty sure almost everyone I did outhit had a better score than I did. It is no good without everything else.

Robmypro, it can be pretty deceiving... to hit the ball, and see it go straight down the fairway until it's a little white dot... and then you see it roll a bit... and you're all like "Awesome drive! Great contact, nice and straight... let's see how far it went." So you mark the spot in your GPS or the app on your phone and track the shot and walk or ride to your ball. You watch the yards accumulate hoping they go up faster than they already are... and you get to your ball and stop. and look at the screen. And it shows 187y total. Or in my case last Saturday, a 238y personal best (with tailwind but still about the longest drive I've ever made)

Yeah, it can be deceiving... and your playing partners might be hitting shorter than they think they are. Measure it with a known good device (watch, phone app, etc) and see what you're averaging distance wise compared to your playing partners.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help on this. I will put together a video next time I play, use the GPS watch and see how it goes. I have a feeling I am going to be disappointed when this is all over!

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help on this. I will put together a video next time I play, use the GPS watch and see how it goes. I have a feeling I am going to be disappointed when this is all over!

Dont be disappointed. Distance is just one small piece to the golfing puzzle.

But that would be total distance, no? You need a launch monitor or track man. I can almost promise you the carry number will be in the 220-240 range, before accounting for altitude.

But that would be total distance, no? You need a launch monitor or track man. I can almost promise you the carry number will be in the 220-240 range, before accounting for altitude.

Yes, it will be total distance. Not perfect but at least we can see a portion of the picture.

Dont be disappointed. Distance is just one small piece to the golfing puzzle.

I get you JB. Regardless of how far I am hitting it I like what I see, and I absolutely get beat by people who hit far shorter than me. Like...that women I played with Sunday. Took her 4 shots to my one and she still had a lower score for 9. LOL

Distance isn't everything.

What generates distance? Good technique, swing speed (these 2 go hand in hand), clubs that work for you that you've generally been fit for. Size has absolutely nothing to do with it. I play with guys that are sometimes 160/170lbs that out drive me. I'm a big guy and hit it a long way but the number of people that assume its because of my size amazes me.

What generates distance? Good technique, swing speed (these 2 go hand in hand), clubs that work for you that you've generally been fit for. Size has absolutely nothing to do with it. I play with guys that are sometimes 160/170lbs that out drive me. I'm a big guy and hit it a long way but the number of people that assume its because of my size amazes me.

And what if you don't have good technique, swing speed or custom fitted clubs? lol

I really think it is a combination of things. First, my yardage must be off a bit. Say that 340 was really 310. Then add in altitude. That probably drops it down to 270. Throw in a really good hit, add the Bertha factor, and a good ball, and a bit of roll out, and I can see how a 240 to 250 turns into 340.

GPS watch next time! I really need to know.

I get you JB. Regardless of how far I am hitting it I like what I see, and I absolutely get beat by people who hit far shorter than me. Like...that women I played with Sunday. Took her 4 shots to my one and she still had a lower score for 9. LOL

Distance isn't everything.

Accuracy is where it is at. Distance is good if you can control it, but most can't.

It's about ball speed, launch angle, and back spin. A reasonably fit average male should be able to generate 95 mph club head speed. With a 1.4 smash factor that would be a ball speed of 133 mph, which with the right amount of backspin would give them about a 220 yard carry. Something most average golfers would be happy with. With a smash factor of 1.5, unusual for a bogey golfer, you could get as much as a 235 yard carry from a 95 mph swing. Mile high elevation does add 5-10% carry distance.

Here is what the industry considers to be ideal launch conditions. An average PGA Tour player has a swing speed of about 112 mph, ball speed of about 165, which gives them about a 275 yard carry. This makes sense since the average driving distance on tour is 288 yards.

Ideal Numbers:

Ball SpeedLaunch AngleBack Spin (rpm's)Carry Distance
170 mph11.5-15.5+*2000-2400289 yards
160 mph12-16+*2200-2650271 yards
150 mph13-16.5+*2300-2800252 yards
140 mph14-17+*2350-2950233 yards
130 mph14.5-17*2400-3100215 yards
120 mph15-17*2500-3300196 yards

Last edited:
And what if you don't have good technique, swing speed or custom fitted clubs? lol

I really think it is a combination of things. First, my yardage must be off a bit. Say that 340 was really 310. Then add in altitude. That probably drops it down to 270. Throw in a really good hit, add the Bertha factor, and a good ball, and a bit of roll out, and I can see how a 240 to 250 turns into 340.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time, lol. Sometimes a golfer gets everything right and all the stars align?

Biggest factors in distance are speed and launch conditions. Factors like wind, fairway conditions, altitude and temp will all play a factor.

I have to think from your post yesterday about hitting 340 that your swing has to be higher than low 90s. I play at 5000 ft with fairways that give a ton of roll out and a swing speed just shy of 110 and am thrilled to see anything over 300 total.

impossible . I am 104 to 107 max and my carry is 250 to 260'.. We literally get no roll on the lush courses I play. So what I hit it, is what it is . I have only witnessed a handful of first hand 300 yard carried by local amateurs . And I would estimate their speed is easily 120 plus .. Impressive to see it

I can promise you that if you are working with carry distance (which should be the concern for all clubs since there are less variables), that at 95 swing speed, 250 yards should be the least of your concerns. Focus on technique and the rest will fall into place.

Thanks guys. And thanks JB for always going the extra mile to help me sort something out. Having a chance to meet up with you and so many others here is definitely something I want to do. It will be a blast.

There are many factors that generate distance off the tee. A smooth tempo, a proper shaft kick and torque, and how squarely you hit the ball. With the big bertha you've might've just found the perfect club for your swing but that is impossible to determine unless I see you swing and analyze your numbers on a launch monitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The average distance of a tour player is around 270. Moat amateurs who claim to average 300 plus flat out lie or are mistaken.

The average distance of a tour player is around 270. Moat amateurs who claim to average 300 plus flat out lie or are mistaken.

I don't think most would lie about it but as discussed here there are quite a few factors that could lead you to the belief you hit one over 300. I definitely wouldn't say I average 300 but on most rounds I think I hit a few that far. It could be a lot of roll out, faulty calcs, etc. But when I am standing between the cart sign and the green on a 366 yard par 4, the guy I am playing with says he has never seen anyone hit it that far, it is really hard to tell myself that shot must have been 250. But that doesn't mean other factors didn't lead to that. I am playing at 5,500 feet.

Back