Rules re: Grip alignment?

capecodbeach

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I was messing around with a Super Stroke 3.0 grip that I eventually want to remove, intact I hope. In doing so I twisted the grip and found a couple of positions I really liked... but I think I remember putter grips did have some restrictions?
First position I discover was having the Super Stroke 3.0 completely turned backwards. There is a rib on the back which I now had turned to the front with flatside now on the back. Interestingly the 'rib' was helpful in aligning hands for the left hand low grip position I use. Legal?
Second position was to have the grip twisted at a 45* angle. With the SS 3.0 this created a definite wedge shape to the grip. Again using my left hand low grip I found it comfortable to have left hand low and left of the angle with the top hand right of the wedge angle. Sounds awkward but it actually released the pressure in my hands and seemed to keep wrists from coming into play. But again I wonder if it is legal?
If I remember correctly, only the putter was allowed to have a grip with a 'shape'? And the 'shape' could have only 1 flat side but I do not remember if the flat side could only be in a forward position.
Any thoughts???

I know one or more pro's have installed SS grips with the flat side facing either forward or backward. SS also makes a square grip now that is legal and makes all four sides flat.

From what I can tell the grip rule is about the design of grips, not how you install it - so long as you don't install it in a way that it becomes concaved or bulged in any part. And the SS grip has already been deemed legal before they sell them.

In all honesty I think you should look at a Palm Bird grip.

Putter grips can be noncircular, as long as there is no concavity and it is symmetrical:

(i)For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or a replica of one.
(ii)A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip. (See Clause (v) overleaf).
(iii)The grip may be tapered but must not have any bulge or waist. Its cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).
(iv)For clubs other than putters the axis of the grip must coincide with the axis of the shaft.
(v)A putter may have two grips provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are separated by at least 1.5 inches (38.1 mm).

Interesting. Now that I know it is legal I may go back and see if the Flat side down or angled wedge felt best to me. Both were comfortable... Anyone have any tricks for getting some solvent down unto the tape to release the tape? I plan to try one of the pointed K'bob spikes that has a loop handle and one flat side. Trying not to spend another $20 on a new grip for my experiment. Would warming the grip in warm water help at all?? Thanks.
BTW I did check out the Palmbird website. For $10 I would have ordered one but $20+ held me back. Not sure whether the PalmBird standard or Jumbo would most closely match the SS 3.0. No way I want to go larger than the SS 3.0 size.

Back