Golf in Perspective

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
The journey of playing the game of golf can be as strange as the game itself. I look back at 50 years of a love-hate relationship with game to where I have come to my current state of mind. Throughout the years, there have been great rounds, poor rounds, addictions to the game and some seasons I have missed altogether. At times, I have aggressively worked on the game and others not so much.

So in this journey... what about now? I have finally come to love the game in a more healthy way, and understand that good and bad shots will always be there. I try not to take it so serious that my emotions and psyche are affected by poor play. However, I do love the technical side of the game... Learning the game, getting a little better... the fun part. I have made peace with the fact that I'm never going to be a pro, or even a really low handicapper (though I would like to)... Just trying to get a little better as I move forward. The key is now, for me... To enjoy the game and have fun. However, as perspectives go... They can always change.

What is your perspective on the game of golf in your life?

My perspective is pretty similar to yours. I just started playing golf 4 years ago, later in life than most, so I don't have the agility or conditioning of a younger me. I know I will improve with time and practice, but I'm certainly not going to get a paycheck from playing the game. That means (I remind myself often) that I should just play to enjoy it and perhaps achieve my own (reasonable) goals. And maybe, once in a while on a good day, enjoy whipping some cocky young buck who started playing at 6 years old :D

The game and me have a love-hate relationship, I love it, it hates me. No matter, I'm out there having fun with my friends and getting some 'color in my cheeks'. So far I'm in the black with the standard side betting with my friends so that has improved this season. My physical/health aspect has improved for an 'old bugger' so the game has given back. It's all good in my eyes other than those pencil markings on the score card.

Playing badly in awful weather

Still better than working.:bashful:

I've learned to enjoy what I'm doing, playing golf, who I'm with, buddies or folks I meet on the 1st tee, where I'm at, a beautiful green golf course and most of all remembering that it's just a game.

I've always enjoyed golfing as an activity.

For most of my life, I didn't have many expectations for how well I golfed because I didn't have the time to put into playing it. So, I didn't always feel that great about the golf that I played.

Last couple of years, I have had some time to be able to invest in the game. And I have seen that with more time, my game is getting better and makes me wonder how much can I improve my game - my ball striking, my course management, my ability to scramble and my ability to score. All together, I'm more passionate now about golf than I have ever been and that's because I question how much I can improve and have the desire to see where that takes me.

I feel about the same way. I feel that I should be a lot better than I am and I sometimes get frustrated that I am not improving much. But I try to relax and enjoy the game and then it more fun. I feel a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work.

Back